2nd Chance Hall of Fame

Tools    

Looks like Nathaniel was spot on with those guesses haha. Congrats on the win Citizen! Raise the Red Lantern was a beautiful film, and it's something I probably wouldn't have watched on my own accord, so I'm very glad you nominated it.

I don't typically end up ranking my own nomination at #1, but I really dug Ed Wood when I rewatched it. It was exactly the kind of film I wanted to see at the time, so that definitely helped. Here was my list:

01. Ed Wood
02. Raise the Red Lantern
03. Anatomy of a Murder
04. Letter from an Unknown Woman
05. Le Trou
DQ. Farewell My Concubine
06. Memento
07. After Hours
DQ. The Man from Earth
08. Pierrot le Fou

Thanks for hosting, Raul! This was an excellent idea for a HoF.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yeah I would definitely be open to this idea down the road again sometime. Was fun to revisit pretty much all of these, except Man from Earth which I still hated.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
A second Second Chance HoF would definitely be worthwhile in the future and THANKS raul for Hosting!!!

CONGRATS CR for the win on Raise the Red Lantern, a very worthy win!!

Here's my list:

1) Letter from an Unknown Woman
2) Memento
3) Raise the Red Lantern
4) Anatomy of a Murder
5) Ed Wood
6) Le Trou
7) Pierrot Le Fou
8) After Hours

This wasn't easy and I had to go with the enjoyment of the movies to make a list.

Weird is relative.
Yay, I'm glad Raise the Red Lantern won! These were my votes.

1. Raise the Red Lantern (1991)
2. Ed Wood (1994)
3. Pierrot le Fou (1965)
4. Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
5. Memento (2000)
6. Letter from an Unknown Woman (1948)
7. After Hours (1985)
8. Le Trou (1960)

Sent my list in, this was by far the best Hall of Fame quality wise I've participated in I think my star ratings are

1. Anatomy of a Murder
  2. Memento
  3. Raise the Red Lantern
  4. Le Trou
  5. Ed Wood
  6. Letter From an Unknown Woman
  7. Pierott Le Fou
  8. After Hours
  9. The Man From Earth
  10. Farwell my Concubine

Wow, I'm very surprised Raise the Red Lantern won. I didn't expect that especially as I had it as my #3. I do think highly of it, but there were a couple of other films that I also really, really liked.

I enjoyed this HoF, great idea Raul! I knew it would be fun back when you first talked about doing it. BTW I'm ready for another HoF right now

This was my voting list. The first 4 films I loved and were a toss up in my mind.

1 Anatomy of a Murder
2 Ed Wood
3 Raise the Red Lantern
4 Letter from an Unknown Woman
5 Le Trou
6 After Hours
7 Farewell my Concubine
8 The Man From Earth
9 Pierrot Le Fou
10 Memento

I think Pierrot Le Fou and Memento were both good films that achieved what they were trying to do, but they weren't my cup of tea, still good noms though.

Weird is relative.
After Hours coming last is a travesty.

For me this Hall was just to stacked, normally 3.5 would be a top three finisher for me
Agreed, I rated both After Hours and Le Trou 3.5 stars, but everything else was good, too.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
  1. Pierrot le Fou
  2. Le Trou
  3. Raise the Red Lantern
  4. Letter from an Unknown Woman
  5. The Man from Earth
  6. After Hours
  7. Anatomy of a Murder
  8. Memento
  9. Ed Wood

A nice HoF, I would say Ed Wood is the only truly weak film I've seen here (for my taste). It's a good sign when I rank my own nom, which I adore, out of the top 3.

I would have voted like this-

1. Letter from an Unknown Woman
2. After Hours
3. Anatomy of a Murder
4. Le Trou
5. Raise the Red Lantern
6. Memento
7. Ed Wood
8. Pierrot Le Fou

I love the first 6 and also liked Ed Wood a lot. I liked Pierrot Le Fou a little the first time but disliked it the second time.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Two VERY solid additions to the Countdown. Red Lantern was a sad cut for me. Glad to see it.

The Skin I Live In aka La piel que habito

Profesora de Yoga en TV: There's a place where you can take refuge. A place inside you, a place to which no one else has access, a place that no one can destroy.

Holy f@ckin sh#t!

What a very beautiful and engrossing cerebral mind f@ck this was!
This is my very first Pedro Almodóvar film and I'm quite curious and a little worried about that curiosity to witness more of his work. Causing an underlying. . . not dread nor trepidation, but something akin to being lost in the unknown that instantly feels intimate and subconsciously familiar.
That sensation took root at the very start of the film with the home/clinic/holding cell that had a mixture of cold methodical architecture whose walls are lined with sensual paintings. Giving the eye both a warning and an invitation to this dwelling and its denizens.

Shot extremely well, that even the disturbing subject matter held a fixed fascination.
And when the twist is brought into play and the proverbial other shoe echoes in both the mind and the body I was completely hooked into the premise and what was to occur next in regards to the "prisoner/patient" being held in the Doctor's home.
And I very much loved the ending.

Raise The Red Lantern

There is, on far more accounts than not, a beauty to Asian filmmaking that is founded on asymmetry that is imbued with poetry. Especially when creating emotional energy visually. This really steps up several notches when involving a period film and Red Lantern is, of course, a very good example of that.
The use of the red lantern and all its symbolic, as well as emotional and cerebral impact, comes through and we are caught up in the world of the four wives.
In fact, the focus is so brilliantly done, that even the master is a vague figure that we never truly get a close-up of his face. He remains a nondescript entity that judges and selects. Allowing us to focus on the interplay and harsh chess game, or perhaps, in this case, mahjong that the women do battle with one another.
Seeing, in all four, the various stages of those who are new to the conflict for the prize, those who are worn out from it, those that fight with passion, and those who conspire and plot.
It's an intriguing game ripe with emotional conflict that consumes them and diminishes everything else, including the man whose decision rules the outcome of who will be allowed to express affection and attention to him and thereby secure a better place and life for themselves.

One aspect I also wish to compliment is that our leading lady, Fourth Wife, is not a gentle, naive waif thrown into the wolves den, but one who is up for the competition and the fight. There is no fragile child learning harsh lessons of life, but a young woman knowing full well what is in store.

She is full of anger at being taken out of school and placed into a submissive role to a man she knows nothing of nor cares to while battling other women for a secured place.

Movies Seen: 5 of 10 (50.0%)
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93
19. Paprika (2006) #100
25. In This Corner of the World (2016) One Pointer

In fairness he did get the right thread at the 2nd attempt so his post in here may be sort of appropriate after all