Best movie world building

Tools    

Recently I have been getting into fantasy movies and literature (not a genre I really went into before).

And I was wondering, in your opinion, which are the movies which have the most impressive world building.

By that I mean, a story which has a believable alternative world that is written in detail so that we really lose ourselves into the world when we watch it. Lord of the Rings of Game of Thrones would be 2 good exemples of stories with an impressive world building.

Just to be clearer, what interests me in fantasy is the richness of the imagined world.

Let me know your suggestions (it can also be a tv show or a book)

Blade Runner

Children of Men

Not a complete list but some Fantasy films with excellent world building that I've seen.

Stardust (2007)
La Belle et la Bête aka: Beauty and the Beast (2014)
Spirited Away (2001)
Rise of the Guardians (2012)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
The City of Lost Children (1995)

The trick is not minding
Book wise, although they are derivative of Tolkien’s books, I was always a fan of Terry Brooks Shannara series. Brooks has a great way of explaining his characters and motivations, and created a world all of its own apart from Tolkien’s Middle Earth

If interested, Start with The First King, followed by The Sword of Shannara, and then The Elfstones of Shannara,, followed by The Wishsong of Shannara in that order.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Dark City

All christopher Nolan releases

Better Living Through Movie Quotes
Lynch's "Dune" Which is more fantasy than sci-fi IMO. The original "Star Wars" certainly deserves mention because at the time of its release, there was nothing that came close in terms of world building (maybe "Metropolis" (1927)).

I saw "The Road" after having read Cormac McCarthy's book, and the movie left me flat. The depiction of humanity hanging on to the thinnest thread in the novel was truly an amazing piece of literature. I don't think the movie did that well to capture the image and the strapping Viggo Mortenson was a terrible choice for a near-starved character that was as much dead as alive. Another small film, "The Day" (2011) I thought actually captures the colorless, lifeless and desperate feel of the book better, even though the stories are different.

The Lego Movie

Building .... Lego .... fair enough, I'll get me coat, hat and scarf....

Oh, The Terminator (the original) is brilliant world-building on a shoestring.

Oh, The Terminator (the original) is brilliant world-building on a shoestring.
I love the moment where we see some kids "watching" a hollow old TV with nothing but a fire burning inside it; the more things change...