Asian Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Thailand second is a surprise.
No nominations from South Korea is an even bigger one.
None from Korea IS a surprise. I had a couple I love from there and ended switching out, figuring others would cover Korea. . .

you're over thinking this -
Yes, I 100% am. I've been doing that a lot when trying to think of what to nominate for these HoFs for some reason. I think I'll just go with my first choice, since I was going to nominate it for a previous HoF as well, but changed my mind then too.

I think when I rewatched it, I wasn't in the right mood, and since I knew everything that was going to happen, that made it feel longer than it was. I still like it though, and it would be interesting to see how everyone feels about it.

Alright, mind made up. Going to send CR the film asap so I don't back out or change it haha.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Yes, I 100% am. I've been doing that a lot when trying to think of what to nominate for these HoFs for some reason. I think I'll just go with my first choice, since I was going to nominate it for a previous HoF as well, but changed my mind then too.

I think when I rewatched it, I wasn't in the right mood, and since I knew everything that was going to happen, that made it feel longer than it was. I still like it though, and it would be interesting to see how everyone feels about it.

Alright, mind made up. Going to send CR the film asap so I don't back out or change it haha.
LOL
There's been SO many times I second guessed myself and wished I went with something else later, so now I just let a film pop up, trust my gut and run with it.

Regardless, I'm pretty d@mn happy to have a Cosmic film to look forward to

I went with a Japanese film that was the best of it's genre in the hopes it makes the top 100. It has zero chance at winning but for those that watch it they should enjoy it.

I went with a Japanese film that was the best of it's genre in the hopes it makes the top 100. It has zero chance at winning but for those that watch it they should enjoy it.
Your nom looks real interesting and I think people will appreciate its uniqueness. We have a number of unique films, I think everyone will be surprised and happy with the noms when they are revealed tomorrow.

The trick is not minding
No Indonesian horror
Yep. Joko Anwar has one that looks interesting, Impetigore. Hopefully it’s better then Satan’s Slaves.
Was hoping to see one from them as wel

If you gottem, PM me some Indonesian horror recs.
A great place to start is the director Joko Anwar. Impetigore and Satan's Slaves are both good.

May the Devil Take You is also considered quite good, but I personally prefer Timo Tjahjanto's action films. There's also a sequel that I haven't yet seen.

@jiraffejustin @edarsenal @HashtagBrownies @Allaby @Siddon @Wyldesyde19 @ueno_station54 @rbrayer @pahaK @CosmicRunaway

The movie nominations are up on the 2nd post!

Lots of great choices! Thanks all for picking such cool stuff

Deadline to watch the movies and submit a voting list is June 1st, that's 11 weeks (if I counted correctly)

@jiraffejustin @edarsenal @HashtagBrownies @Allaby @Siddon @Wyldesyde19 @ueno_station54 @rbrayer @pahaK @CosmicRunaway

The movie nominations are up on the 2nd post!

Lots of great choices! Thanks all for picking such cool stuff

Deadline to watch the movies and submit a voting list is June 1st, that's 11 weeks (if I counted correctly)
Thanks! Super excited - I've seen Rashoman and Paprika but the rest is new. Looking forward to it!

Rashomon: A Kurosawa that I find slightly over-rated, but that opinion could change greatly on a re-watch
Black Rain: Never heard of this before, but I like a good drama
Mother: I love a good murder thriller.
Drunken Angel: Haven’t seen much if any of Kurosawa’s crime films, so this’ll be cool to check out
Tears of the Black Tiger: Never heard of this, but from a quick google search it looks cool.
Chocolate: Nice! We don’t get enough good autistic person representation in cinema, and apparently this is a good example of that. It’s been in my watchlist for a while and I love a good martial arts film.
Paprika: A Kon film that I haven’t seen yet, cool.
Daimajin: Only added this to my watchlist recently funnily enough, so I’m eager to see it.
Hanagatami: Nice! I always wanted to be more acquainted with Ôbayashi’s later films.
Dust in the Wind: Not familiar with this one, but it looks good from a quick google search.
Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow: My nom. I’ll post a writeup for it soon.

Awesome picks everyone!

The trick is not minding
Great lineup! My thoughts.

Rashomon*'Rashômon' (1950)
Just watched this last year. Wonder if my opinion on it has changed any?

Black Rain*'Kuroi ame' (1989)

Shohei never seems to be mentioned among Japans greatest directors but he was a driving force of the Japanese New Wave film movement. His accolades are as impressive as any other. This film, dealing with with the effects of the nuclear bomb on its citizens, is as good as any place to start. Solid choice

Mother*'Madeo' (2009)
I figured we’d see either Bong or Park get nominated.
This one is streaming on Hulu, and I’ve had my eye on it for awhile now.

Drunken Angel*'Yoidore tenshi' (1948)

Between this and the Personal Recc 3 foreign edition, I’m good. To have plenty of Kurosawa films to watch.

Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow*'Se ying diu sau' (1978)

Hmmm. Not familiar with this one.
Tears of the Black Tiger*'Fah talai jone' (2000)
This is that western style film isn’t it? Heard of it, unless I’m mistaken it for some other film.
Chocolate*(2008)
Same director as Ong Bak, right?
Paprika*'Papurika' (2006)
Anime. And one I’ve been meaning to check out as well.
Daimajin*(1966)
Japanese Kaiju says what? The first of the Daimajin trilogy.
Hanagatami*(2017)
Vaguely know of this, but haven’t looked into it previously. Good pick
Dust in the Wind*'Liàn liàn fengchén' (1986)
My pick.