War
10.00%
4 votes
Westerns
12.50%
5 votes
Other
40 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Ah, but how much is "a lot"? And what if it has a lot of sci-fi, too? Can a film be sci-fi and action, or does it need to be predominantly action? What if it just has a few action sequences, but they're the most impressive in the film? I expect there would be a lot of talk about what's "action" versus "adventure" and a distinction between "action" films and "thrillers," too.

These are the things people always end up arguing about.

So, no such thing as a modern Western?

I figured out you were just giving me a hard time. :P

Like Aliens, a movie can be muliple genres. There just needs to be enoughfocus to warrant it. "A few action sequences" is enough for me. Anyone can say what they want about genres, but the only foolish opinion in my eyes is saying a movie can only be one genre. What's the point of diversifying and breaking conventions if that's the case.

I guess a modern western would be a neo-western, like The Book of Eli, or just a modern-day movie with a very similar setting and influence from the classics.

...Like Aliens, a movie can be muliple genres. There just needs to be enough focus to warrant it. "A few action sequences" is enough for me...
What past countdown host have done is to use IMDB genre tags to determine if a film fits the genre of the countdown. Or use WIKI or both. It's not perfect but it seemed to help set a guideline.

I believe the more famous tags are that way because they're relatively easy to define.

Action: has a decent amount of action
Adventure: focuses on adventuring
Comedy: tells a lot of jokes
Fantasy: story that only magic can describe
Horror: tries to scare you often
Romance: love story
Sci-fi: impossible story science can describe
Thriller: tries to build suspense and tensiom, not necessarily scares
Western: takes place in an old West style place.

Interesting thought, but there would have to be extremely clear and precise rules for what is and isn't eligible.

I might include Predator, but never for fantasy. Fantasy needs torevolve around things that don't even have a scientific basis, like magical creatures, spells, etc. Science Fiction is about things that happen because of science we can't explain rather than legends and myths. And if you include aleins in legends and myths, the myths are often grounded in scientific philosophy. In the end, the simplest and possibly most accurate description isthis: the difference between sci-fi and fantasy is the difference between science and magic. Sometimes you can blend the two, like Fullmetal Alchemist.

Predator is a genre breaker but here are the lines I would draw the line...

Horror (Ghosts, Monsters/Fantasy)
Comic Book Movies (Super Heroes)
Science (Time-Travel)

My idea of 100 Fantasy films would be.

1. Alice in Wonderland
  2. Akira
  3. Avengers
  4. Babe
  5. Back to the Future
  6. Batman
  7. Beetlejuice
  8. Beauty and the Beast
  9. Being John Malkovich
  10. Big
  11. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
  12. Black Orpheus
  13. Brave
  14. Cars
  15. Captain America
  16. Cinderella
  17. The Chronicles of Narnia
  18. Coco
  19. Conan the Barbarian
  20. Coraline
  21. The Crow
  22. Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  23. Deadpool
  24. Devil and Daniel Webster
  25. Dogma
  26. Donnie Darko
  27. Dumbo
  28. Edward Scissorhands
  29. The Exterminating Angel
  30. Fantasia
  31. Field of Dreams
  32. Frozen
  33. Ghostbusters
  34. Godzilla
  35. The Green Mile
  36. Gremlins
  37. Groundhog Day
  38. Harry Potter
  39. Harvey
  40. Heaven Can Wait
  41. Heavy Metal
  42. Hellboy
  43. Here Comes Mr Jordan
  44. The Hobbit
  45. How to Train Your Dragon
  46. Howl's Moving Castle
  47. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
  48. Incredibles
  49. Inside Out
  50. Iron Man
  51. It's a Wonderful Life
  52. King Kong
  53. Kwaidan
  54. Life of Pi
  55. The Little Mermaid
  56. Logan
  57. Lord of the Rings
  58. Mary Poppins
  59. Moana
  60. The Monster Squad
  61. Midnight in Paris
  62. Monsters Inc.
  63. The Neverending Story
  64. A Nightmare on Elm Street
  65. Orlando
  66. Orpheus
  67. Pacific Rim
  68. Pan's Labyrinth
  69. Peter Pan
  70. The Picture of Dorian Grey
  71. Pirates of the Caribbean
  72. Pleasentville
  73. Porco Rossi
  74. The Princess Bride
  75. The Purple Rose of Cairo
  76. Reign of Fire
  77. Scrooged
  78. The Secret of Nimh
  79. Seventh Seal
  80. The Shining
  81. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  82. Spirited Away
  83. Superman
  84. Suspiria
  85. Tangled
  86. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  87. Terminator
  88. This is the End
  89. Toy Story
  90. Up
  91. Weird Science
  92. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
  93. Willow
  94. Wings of Desire
  95. The Witch
  96. Wizards
  97. Wizard of Oz
  98. Wonder Woman
  99. Wreck-It Ralph
  100. X-men

Welcome to the human race...
I'd suggest an official Action countdown myself (especially since the one that Omnizoa ran a couple of years back apparently didn't qualify for inclusion in the list section for whatever reason). Do that in the first half of 2019, then follow it up with the pre-1930s countdown in the second half of 2019, then the revised Top 100 in the first half of 2020, then the Top 100 of the 2010s in the second half of 2020. That'd be my suggestion.

I'd like to see a Comedy Countdown at some point, along with a non-English Language Countdown.

@Nostromo87 once expressed interest in hosting a countdown, so with his talent for graphics and his passion for horror, he'd make a great host for an updated (and proper MoFo-style) Horror Countdown should we go in that direction.

I also hope that we do a Silent Era Countdown before re-doing the Top 100.

I'm up to entertain/present/host a Horror, War, or All-Time Countdown, although as always, up to MoFo Nation to choose what you want.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	MeganFox SWrs.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	49818  

We already did a horror countdown, do we need to do another one?

A war countdown could be...interesting, to put it mildly, which I think would be excuse enough to do it.

I'd suggest an official Action countdown myself (especially since the one that Omnizoa ran a couple of years back apparently didn't qualify for inclusion in the list section for whatever reason).
I would love an action countdown at some point, even though we just did one.

Wait, that was like 8 years before the action countdown. How many currently active members were involved in that countdown, and how many total?

A war countdown could be...interesting, to put it mildly, which I think would be excuse enough to do it.
I like this but feel like the list would get a bit thin and suffer from lack of participation.

So I just looked at that "countdown". There was no countdown. It looks like there were 12 people that sent lists, 4 active members(Yoda, Mark, HK, Pike). Without reading every post I'm not sure if TUS sent a list but I don't think so. You posted in the thread but apparently opted out of sending a list. So, people didn't send a top 25. They sent a list of however many they could think of, with several members sending in over 100 titles. They were ordered by how many times they were mentioned, not by how much people liked them. There was no countdown; they were just listed. In other words, it was a mess. It really shouldn't even be in the lists section with the way our standards have risen.

Nostro is the first to offer to host and says he'd be interested in hosting Horror.
Considering the parameters of the previous Horror List, its age, the interest it would garner when compared to 1920s and war films... and that we have someone willing to host... Horror seems like the most credible step to take.

Just my opinion

Ok, nobody likes the idea of slowly working through the alphabet so how about a proper Horror countdown instead?

And then we do pre-30s.

I would love an action countdown at some point, even though we just did one.
This was addressed in the last "next countdown?" thread, but people were ready to acknowledge that that was handled a bit too loosely so it wouldn't hurt to try reworking it into something official at some point.

Wait, that was like 8 years before the action countdown. How many currently active members were involved in that countdown, and how many total?
So I just looked at that "countdown". There was no countdown. It looks like there were 12 people that sent lists, 4 active members(Yoda, Mark, HK, Pike). Without reading every post I'm not sure if TUS sent a list but I don't think so. You posted in the thread but apparently opted out of sending a list. So, people didn't send a top 25. They sent a list of however many they could think of, with several members sending in over 100 titles. They were ordered by how many times they were mentioned, not by how much people liked them. There was no countdown; they were just listed. In other words, it was a mess. It really shouldn't even be in the lists section with the way our standards have risen.
Oof, you're not kidding. I'm a lot more open to re-doing it now.

I like this but feel like the list would get a bit thin and suffer from lack of participation.
It's always possible that it'll draw a decent level of participation. I think it might be the only one of the major genres to not have at least one list dedicated to it already so it might as well get its own - as for lack of participation, it should draw at least as many votes as the directed-by-women countdown.

Admit it, you all knew I'd follow up on that previous post of mine.
Could you not have at least come up with another couple of doctored images to bring the total up to Fyffe??

...@Nostromo87 once expressed interest in hosting a countdown, so with his talent for graphics and his passion for horror, he'd make a great host for an updated (and proper MoFo-style) Horror Countdown should we go in that direction...
So I just looked at that horror "countdown". There was no countdown. It looks like there were 12 people that sent lists, 4 active members(Yoda, Mark, HK, Pike). Without reading every post I'm not sure if TUS sent a list but I don't think so. You posted in the thread but apparently opted out of sending a list. So, people didn't send a top 25. They sent a list of however many they could think of, with several members sending in over 100 titles. They were ordered by how many times they were mentioned, not by how much people liked them. There was no countdown; they were just listed. In other words, it was a mess. It really shouldn't even be in the lists section with the way our standards have risen.
Yeah, I think that was one of the earlier ones. It could definitely use a refresh.

I'm up to entertain/present/host a Horror, War, or All-Time Countdown, although as always, up to MoFo Nation to choose what you want....
Sounds like Nostro is the man! and Horror is the leading favorite for a countdown. @Nostromo87 I'll be done with the 30s countdown in just a week from today. Welcome aboard

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
1929 and before if not, foreign films.