Plan B's Top 100 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

100. Django Unchained (2012)

It's not Quentin Tarantino's finest film to date, but it's certainly one of his most mature. Django Unchained is ridiculously violent, nail-bitingly intense, and ten times darker than any other film of Tarantino's. Waltz delivers a great performance as Dr. King Schultz, and in my personal opinion Leonardo DiCaprio was cheated out of an Oscar. There are less memorable scenes found within Django when compared to Tarantino's other work, but it's nonetheless a worthy addition to Tarantino's remarkable filmography. Additionally, the deliberately slow pacing trademark of the director works incredibly well during the dinner act.

99. Blue Velvet (1986)

The first time I ever watched anything from David Lynch, it was the hit television series Twin Peaks. Kyle MacLachlan played FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper as he searched for the killer of a young homecoming queen in a small and mysterious Washington town. In Blue Velvet, the idea is somewhat similar, except there are different layers of "mystery" involving an amyl nitrite-breathing Dennis Hooper, a severed ear, and a sexually bizarre female singer with a secret. It's one of the most extraordinarily original films I've ever seen and will always be one of my favorites.

98. Being John Malkovich (1999)

Of course, coming from Spike Jonze, the film is going to be a unique experience. Being John Malkovich marks Jonze's directorial debut. I recently viewed Her - in fact, at the time of this writing, it would have been yesterday - and I've come to admire his work. And I can definitely admire Being John Malkovich, which is what I can only describe as original. It's almost a parody of itself, and that's one aspect of the movie that I really enjoy. Hell, even the plot alone is a perfect example: "A puppeteer discovers a portal that leads literally into the head of the movie star, John Malkovich."

97. Apollo 13 (1995)

To me, Apollo 13 runs like clockwork. It hits just the right notes and includes some damn fine performances, and it's also completely realistic and meets the expectations that a history buff like myself would hope for. Hanks, as well as his character, seem to be "in control" of their surroundings even in the chaotic situation the Apollo 13 mission found itself in. But Ed Harris shines the brightest. The special effects are heavy but do not stick out like a sore thumb. Ron Howard does mostly everything right here, and thanks to an outstanding cast, Apollo 13 works extremely well.

96. American Beauty (1999)

I will never forget watching American Beauty for the first time. I rented it from Blockbuster a couple of years ago and watched it when I was alone at home for the night. In my opinion, Kevin Spacey's performance in American Beauty is his best work to date. For a directorial debut, Sam Mendes knows what he's doing, and he effortlessly crafts something absolutely beautiful - no pun intended. I showed one of my friends this film not too long ago and he said it was the worst movie he had ever seen. I about croaked. Then he saw Pulp Fiction for the first time and fell asleep halfway through. I gave up after that.

95. 50/50 (2011)

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is as equally talented an actor as Leonardo DiCaprio. I feel they have both been snubbed by the Academy multiple times, especially for Levitt's phenomenal performance in Mysterious Skin. This movie is brilliant. Take Judd Apatow and blend it with David O. Russell and you'd get 50/50. It's actually quite an uplifting tale, despite the main character of the movie having cancer. It's a comedy film that treats a controversial and depressing subject with respect. I also have a huge crush on Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but that in no way affected by decision to place 50/50 on the list.

Great list so far! I love Django Unchained, Blue Velvet, Being John Malkovich and American Beauty. Four quality films!

Looking forward to the rest of your top 100.

Thumbs up for Blue Velvet, Django Unchained, and American Beauty. Malkovich and 50/50 are also good movies. I haven't seen Apollo 13 and probably won't at this point.

Thumbs up for Blue Velvet, Django Unchained, and American Beauty. Malkovich and 50/50 are also good movies. I haven't seen Apollo 13 and probably won't at this point.
You should give it a shot. If anything it's worth watching for Harris' performance alone.

94. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is very similar to The Wizard of Oz. Both films blended two rarely seen worlds. Whether it was black and white to color, or live-action to animation, the two symbolize something larger than themselves, and plus they're two really great films. Who Framed Roger Rabbit represents a beautiful and colorful milestone for live-action and animation hybrids. Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a technically innovative and groundbreaking achievement. As for the movie itself, it features a daringly large amount of characters. We are familiar with most of them so nothing feels out of place. And holy crap, the voice acting is phenomenal.

93. The Truman Show (1998)

The Truman Show is brilliant. It's one of a handful of films that stay entertaining from start to finish without any deviation from the message it's trying to get across. Jim Carrey gives a fantastic performance as the titular role of Truman, who begins to suspect things are not what they seem. I guess you could say that about anything, but the meaning behind The Truman Show is much darker. His life has been nothing but a smokescreen kept hidden away by a group of powerful people. But I think the film's true meaning is a statement on the idea that the search for truth is more powerful than its possession.

92. Trainspotting (1996)

Danny Boyle has made some outstanding movies. But he broke new ground in Trainspotting. There's so much to say about Trainspotting that it's almost impossible to sum it up in a brief paragraph. That being said, I'll say this: it's freaking insane. It's terrifyingly hilarious. It's sporadically depressing. And the baby falling on him. It made me feel like a spider had just fallen from the ceiling into my hair and I couldn't find where it went. It hits some raw nerves but it also reminds us that drugs are bad. Anyone who calls Project X a good movie should see Trainspotting. Kudos to McGregor for his performance too.

91. Spartacus (1960)

A highly entertaining movie. Kirk Douglas gives one of his best performances as the legendary Spartacus. The film is a strong statement on the oppressed. I find Spartacus to be overlooked within Kubrick's filmography. His most notable work - 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket - overshadow this masterpiece and its powerful ability to shock its audience in surprising ways. With a love story more epic and grand than any modern attempt to dramatize an historical setting - I'm looking at you Titanic - Spartacus pulls at the heartstrings throughout, and especially in a deeply emotional finale.

Let the night air cool you off
Spartacus; haven't seen; want to see. Nice to see Roger Rabbit getting some love. Fantastic movie, I'd like to see it overachieve on the 80s list.

I like Trainspotting, American Beauty and Django Unchained are great, and Blue Velvet is one of my very favourites. And as JJ said, your avatar is awesome too