Good Evening: HitchFan's Top 50, 3rd Edition

→ in
Tools    

From your previous post:

I like your take on Dazed and Confused. I personally enjoyed the film for what it was, but I'm a bigger fan of films like American Graffiti or The Breakfast Club. I guess it's a matter of taste, but I like a certain feeling of nostalgia in 'highschool films'. I didn't quite feel that in this film (the film doesn't mean to), because this films portrays emptiness and aimlessness. The two other films I mentioned also do that, but they do it in a more satisfying manner, in my opinion, which made me feel a little more hopeful (in The Breakfast Club) or 'aware of life' (American Graffiti).

From this post:

Blow-Up is awesome. I agree with pretty much everything you say. This film IS the late '60s (or indeed as you put it, my image of it). It's also glamorous and meaningful. It's the best film I've seen from Antonioni yet (then again, I've only seen two ). I still need to see L'Avventura though.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is also a wonderful, haunting movie. The frustrations and problems of a middle aged couple were never as horrifying as in this film...

I have only seen Dazed and Confuzed so far and it's obviously a great film. I'm interested in seing the other ones to

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Not only is this thread a set of great movies, but also a very nice thing visually. I like these cleverly distributed images, names of films and directors. Descriptions are very interesting and informative. I hope the Antonioni film that's still to show up is L'Eclisse, my favourite of his, but something is telling me it may be Professione: Reporter instead. As long as I like Le Cercle Rouge, I prefer Le Samurai. I've also seen Deux hommes dans Manhattan and although it's not as great as those two it's got cool atmosphere to it. You might want to check it out. Sadly, I haven't seen Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, but I'm looking forward to seeing it! Oh, I haven't seen Dazed and Confused from your first post, which leaves me with 4/6 if we're talking about it like Guaporense. Can't wait for next films to show up!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Not only is this thread a set of great movies, but also a very nice thing visually. I like these cleverly distributed images, names of films and directors. Descriptions are very interesting and informative. I hope the Antonioni film that's still to show up is L'Eclisse, my favourite of his, but something is telling me it may be Professione: Reporter instead. As long as I like Le Cercle Rouge, I prefer Le Samurai. I've also seen Deux hommes dans Manhattan and although it's not as great as those two it's got cool atmosphere to it. You might want to check it out. Sadly, I haven't seen Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, but I'm looking forward to seeing it! Oh, I haven't seen Dazed and Confused from your first post, which leaves me with 4/6 if we're talking about it like Guaporense. Can't wait for next films to show up!
Thanks for the recommendation! Le Samourai was my favorite Melville for awhile until I saw Le Cercle Rouge. Glad you're enjoying the list

#45: 3 Women
Directed by Robert Altman

The under-appreciated middle chapter of a loose trilogy that also includes Bergman's Persona and Lynch's Mulholland Drive, this Altman masterpiece is one of the trippiest American movies I've ever seen. It may also be the closest we have yet come to capturing dreams on film, but with Altman, social commentary is never far away. This one seems to be its director's feminist movie, honing in on society's fascination with sex and how this has led to the objectification of women. There's probably even more here to be read into, but 3 Women is one movie that I'd never want to know all the answers to; the enigma is part of the fun.

#44: Jaws
Directed by Steven Spielberg

My favorite of Spielberg's movies is iconic for a reason - the film that inspired all the hordes of vastly inferior blockbusters which lack the atmosphere, the honest characters, and the sheer exuberance of this original. It's the ultimate tale of man vs. nature, and the kind of film you can watch over and over again without the appeal ever diminishing.

#43: A Clockwork Orange
Directed by Stanley Kubrick

Another MoFo favorite, this Kubrick classic is quite possibly the most unsettling film its director ever made (which says quite a lot). Malcolm McDowell embodies one of the greatest characters ever, in a movie whose depiction of the future is simultaneously horrifying and gloriously stylized. And although it's certainly not without humor, perhaps the most disturbing thing about A Clockwork Orange is that its repulsive protagonist might not even be the most terrible force in the movie; that (dis)honor, Kubrick suggests, belongs to the government. No film I've seen makes a more convincing argument for the importance of free will over conventional morality.

I have not seen 3 Women, nor am I a fan of Altman. But Jaws and Kubrick? Instant win!
3 Women is totally unlike anything else I've seen from Altman (except maybe Images). But if you're a fan of either of the two movies I mentioned in my blurb about it I think there's a good chance you'll love it.

Still need to catch 3 Women and a bunch more Altman. Jaws I like, although it's been too long since I've seen it all the way through.

I finally sat down and watched, nay, endured A Clockwork Orange just recently. I use that phrase not as a slight, but as a compliment - Kubrick clearly set out to, and triumphantly succeeded, in making a film in which deeply unpleasant characters, images and stories amplify the effectiveness of its meaning. Can't say it's become a favourite or that it's ever likely to, but it's an emotive and incredibly impressive film nonetheless.

Good list so far, Hitch. Keep 'em coming.

I haven't seen any of this first set on this page, but I've seen 2/3 of the previous. 3 Women is my second favorite Altman, it does have some legit thrilling moments, but eventually everything became to irrelevant. Love A Clockwork Orange

3 Women is totally unlike anything else I've seen from Altman (except maybe Images). But if you're a fan of either of the two movies I mentioned in my blurb about it I think there's a good chance you'll love it.
Might have to give Altman one last shot then.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Just catching up on your list. So far Jaws and Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf are my two favorite movies that appear.

I wonder if Jaws is the number one movie to appear on mofo lists? Someone should check on that. That would be fun to know.

Quite worse set. I haven't seen 3 Women nor any other Altman movie, but I'll because it's a shame I didn't! I'll start from 3 Women, because it was on your list. You can feel proud. I think Jaws is just a decent flick. <predicts a fall of hate from honeykid and mark f> while Clockwork Orange while being good isn't my favourite Kubrick nor glorious film to me.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Jaws and A Clockwork Orange are all really great films and almost definitely in my top 100.

3 Women is second on my Altman watchlist behind Nashville, you know that I have Le Cercle Rouge ready to watch sometime, and Blow-Up is a film on my watchlist too, I'm yet to see an Antonioni film, and whilst I expect its style to be somewhat similar, I love Blow Out.

Quite worse set. I haven't seen 3 Women nor any other Altman movie, but I'll because it's a shame I didn't! I'll start from 3 Women, because it was on your list. You can feel proud. I think Jaws is just a decent flick. <predicts a fall of hate from honeykid and mark f> while Clockwork Orange while being good isn't my favourite Kubrick nor glorious film to me.
It was my first Altman and I fell in love. You'll be seeing plenty of him on this list.

You'll be seeing plenty of him on this list.
Cool. Perhaps I'll be watching his movies in the order they appear on your list!