Same sex marriage & Polygamy

Tools    

The California Supreme Court on Thursday struck down the state's ban on same-sex marriage.

In a 4-3 120-page ruling issue, justices wrote "responsibly to care for and raise children does not depend upon the individual's sexual orientation."

"We therefore conclude that in view of the substance and significance of the fundamental constitutional right to form a family relationship, the California Constitution properly must be interpreted to guarantee this basic civil right to all Californians, whether gay or heterosexual, and to same-sex couples as well as to opposite-sex couples," Chief Justice Ronald George wrote for the majority.

"There can be no doubt that extending the designation of marriage to same-sex couples, rather than denying it to all couples, is the equal protection remedy that is most consistent with our state's general legislative policy and preference," said the ruling.

"Accordingly, in light of the conclusions we reach concerning the constitutional questions brought to us for resolution, we determine that the language of Section 300 limiting the designation of marriage to a 'union between a man and a woman' is unconstitutional, and that the remaining statutory language must be understood as making the designation of marriage available to both opposite-sex and same-sex couples."
Your opinions?
Yay or nay to same sex marriage?

What's the problem with calling it "marriage" btw?

I honestly haven't kept up with any of this. I had no clue it was allowed anywhere in the states.
I could care less. I've got my own life to tend to. Let others do as they will, as long as they don't hurt others. I will assume it isn't allowed in TN. My niece would probably already be married to her girlfriend, if it was.
At times, people maybe refer to it as "same sex marriage", to simply describe the topic they are talking about. Others that are against it, may stress all three words, to point out that they think it is wrong.
It's not allowed where you live, right? Just guessing here. I can't even remember where the hell you are, at the moment.

You ready? You look ready.
Finally, some sensible people in this country!

California is generally a step ahead the rest of the country when it comes to equality. Then again, there are some crazy whackos there too!
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The article covers most of what's been on the radio today. I believe the only other state which allows same-sex marriage is Massachusetts. As it says in the link, the California voters passed a proposition which banned same-sex marriage, and then four years ago, the San Francisco mayor said it was OK, but it was determined that he didn't have the authority. This ruling is a reaction to that. In November, there will definitely be a proposition requesting an amendment to the state constitution which will ban same sex marriage. I believe I heard today that 27 of the 50 states already have those constitutional amendmments.

I personally don't have any problem with same-sex marriages, but I believe almost all of the desire to block it comes from religion and what some people have concluded from some studies which allege that children are somehow more emotionally-stable being brought up in a "traditional" home. With divorce the way it is, I'm not sure how traditional most homes are, but that's one of the points the naysayers use.

As far as the "definition" of marriage goes, although there is nothing in this text which specifically defines it, this is most often cited (in the U.S.) as the reason to keep it two sexes.

Genesis 2:21-25

21 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

There are more things in The Bible detailing that marriage is a spiritual matter, but I don't want to hijack your thread, just provide some info.

If you want to believe in The Bible and complain about it, by all means, do so...

But we are human beings. Why does it have to be only a man and a woman who can get married?

Men loving men and women loving women and not being allowed to express it is ridiculous. The denial is suffocation to gay people. Those who stand up and voice their approval of homosexuality are strong, rebellious, and more clear minded, in my opinion.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I'm all for it, and not just because I get to say that after Sexy's post. This reversal makes me very happy, and if this does end up on the ballot in November, I'll vote in favor of allowing same sex marriage. Feeling proud to be a Californian today.

Colour out of Time
Got no problem for it ... in fact support whole heartedly.

Legislation will change here soon ... the stickler id the term marriage ... but the important thing is that both partners are recognised legally and have all the same rights as traditional couples. At the moment super cannot be transfered, and that is wrong.

"What’s wrong with gay marriage? I say let them get married and be miserable like the rest of us" ~ Peter Griffin

Oh god, this picture is gonna make straight people think all lesbians are named Ellen!

Speaking of Ellen, Ellen DeGeneres is supposed to be announcing that she's gonna marry Portia de Rossi on her show today.

Same sex marriage has been a major debating issue in Ireland's jurisdiction over the past few years especially following the Zappone Gilligan case. Bunreacht na hEireann (Irish Constitution) strictly bans the union of same sex couples due to many reasons. It is a document influenced by Roman Catholic teaching and papal encyclicals. One of the reasons for this prohibition is that same sex unions are unable to procreate. The State regards this, as guardian of the common good, as an important factor in its reluctance to adapt to societal changes. This argument can be said to be redundant due to scientific advances now evident. It is difficult to comprehend the objective justification of discrimination of this group

Wouldn't it be something if we lived in a world where this isn't even a story? When is it exactly that we will shed our infancy and stop trying to control other peoples lives? Certainly not in my lifetime and maybe never.

I suppose if you must know I'm for marriage of any shape and kind. What I'm not for is the f*cking freak show that comes with it. It's a nice story though and I'm not trying to sh*t on it but it's such a small step. I long for the days when its actually celebrated to be "different" and not publicized.

It's not anything to make the news anymore here in the UK as civil partnerships have been legal since Dec 2005. Some of my friends have tied the knot , some haven't. I'm glad all people can get married now as it has inheritance and tax consequences that were unfair to gay couples before.

If two people are so in love that they want to bind their love in marriage, let them be and let them be happy.

Im absolutely in for same sex marriages. I actually cant understand why it would be not ok, and even for those who use the bible as an arguement. If two people love each other, what do we have to say about it? I truely believe marrying is one of the best things you can do in your life. After 25 years my mum and dad still call each other things like 'pumpkin' and 'dear', and i can see they mean it.
So why should it be any different for gay people? A couple of years back a gay couple lived next to us, and you could see how happy the were, being able to be married. Marrying is sacred, so no third party should have any saying in it. Love is pure, and no law should make it impossible for two people in love to marry!

Its a great decision! Yay!

And do check my "art": Deviant

I see no problem in this whatsoever. We are to be free in a sense to make our own decisions and this decision between two confiding adults is not hurting anyone one else so let them be. It doesn't make sense that people hate this so much.

I dont see a problem there. I mean its their lives, not ours. why not just let em get married and have to face the hardships of marriage like every other person who chooses to do so?
[punches him in the face, grabs him and points his gun right at his throat] I never said anything about the FBI. She's my partner, ese. And if anything happens to her, I will find you and I will kill you. I won't think twice. Come here, look in my eyes. [pushes barrel of the gun into his mouth and cocks it] Look at my face. If anything happens to her, I will kill you. This is between you and me, and nobody sees, nobody knows.