Departures, simply the best movie I've seen in a long while.

→ in
Tools    

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
The movie is also known as Okuribito. It was released in 2008. I just found it at my library recently.

Here is the IMDB summary:

Daigo Kobayashi is a devoted cellist in an orchestra that has just been dissolved and now finds himself without a job. Daigo decides to move back to his old hometown with his wife to look for work and start over.

He answers a classified ad entitled "Departures" thinking it is an advertisement for a travel agency only to discover that the job is actually for a "Nokanshi" or "encoffineer," a funeral professional who prepares deceased bodies for burial and entry into the next life.

While his wife and others despise the job, Daigo takes a certain pride in his work and begins to perfect the art of "Nokanshi," acting as a gentle gatekeeper between life and death, between the departed and the family of the departed.

The film follows his profound and sometimes comical journey with death as he uncovers the wonder, joy and meaning of life and living. Written by Regent Releasing

I highly recommend this beautiful film. Death as almost art is a concept I've always loved.

Netflix'd!

Some movies just touch your soul. That's the way this one was for me. Glad I could help remind you about it. Let me know what you think of it when you watch it. 'Kay?

gonna watch it right now

be back in a couple of hours.

Just finished it. Not one second of this film was a waste. It kept my attention the full two hours eleven minutes. Truly a great movie. Thank you for the suggestion. I think it is, as you said, a very beautiful film.

WIthout your suggestion, I doubt I would have seen it otherwise, not knowing of its existence. Now I will have to add it to my DVD collection.

Much thanks.

Just finished it. Not one second of this film was a waste. It kept my attention the full two hours eleven minutes. Truly a great movie. Thank you for the suggestion. I think it is, as you said, a very beautiful film.

WIthout your suggestion, I doubt I would have seen it otherwise, not knowing of its existence. Now I will have to add it to my DVD collection.

Much thanks.
So glad you feel that way! I'm always happy to share something I love with someone and find they have a kindred soul about this thing I loved too!

In other words, you've made me very happy!

Interesting. I'll add it to my Netflix queue as well.
Good let us know what you think.

BTW, just because I love something does not mean I expect everyone else to love it!

Saw it a few months ago and thought it was fantastic. I thought it was quite funny at times as well.