2021 Film Challenge

Tools    

Overachiever!
I’m still about 25 films from finishing both lists, meanwhile, Tak is on her second run….
Take how many films I watch in a week. Divide by 1.5. On a scale from one to ten, that is how stressed out I am.

The trick is not minding
Update! 11/1! Almost finished with this, and I should be able to knock this out by the beginning of December.*
Only a few of the Main challenges are problematic, but I guess I can order the ones I need off of the criterion collection.
Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Kickin some serious BEE-Hind, wylde!!

VERY cool ass films there.
Tell me of 3. a silent film Cobra (1925). What was that like? Never heard of it and the title sorta caught me. Looking it up I see it's a Rudolph Valentino film and I ain't never see one of his full features YET. (bad llama). Curious about your thoughts on that one.

The trick is not minding
Kickin some serious BEE-Hind, wylde!!

VERY cool ass films there.
Tell me of 3. a silent film Cobra (1925). What was that like? Never heard of it and the title sorta caught me. Looking it up I see it's a Rudolph Valentino film and I ain't never see one of his full features YET. (bad llama). Curious about your thoughts on that one.
It actually was pretty decent. I’d recommend it based purely in the fact that Valentino dies well before his time and while he has a larger then expected filmography, many of those are lost films that may never be found.

I just finished it and like you said, it WAS pretty decent. A bit slow, with almost little going on, but it definitely shows the talent of the man. Ranging from playful to tortured.
Makes me curious to watch one of his more successful films, The Eagle (1925).
I also stumbled over this Cecil de Mille film, The Affairs of Anatol (1921) that caught my eye. Have ya heard of that one?

The trick is not minding
I just finished it and like you said, it WAS pretty decent. A bit slow, with almost little going on, but it definitely shows the talent of the man. Ranging from playful to tortured.
Makes me curious to watch one of his more successful films, The Eagle (1925).
I also stumbled over this Cecil de Mille film, The Affairs of Anatol (1921) that caught my eye. Have ya heard of that one?
I also watched The Eagle for this challenge, and liked it as well, though not as much as Cobra.
Haven’t seen the DeMille one but for next years challenge, I’m choosing the 1920’s as my Decade.

I also watched The Eagle for this challenge, and liked it as well, though not as much as Cobra.
Haven’t seen the DeMille one but for next years challenge, I’m choosing the 1920’s as my Decade.
The Twenties could be a solid decade to go with. I've been pretty sparse with that decade through my life as well.
I'll hold on to a Link I found for the de Mille should ya find yourself interested.
I'll definitely will be joining in next year's as well.

The trick is not minding
The Twenties could be a solid decade to go with. I've been pretty sparse with that decade through my life as well.
I'll hold on to a Link I found for the de Mille should ya find yourself interested.
I'll definitely will be joining in next year's as well.
Definitely interested!
I’m looking forward to next year already. Have a bunch of directors available via tubi that I aim to use for many of the categories.
Choosing Takashi Miike as my director, since he has 10 films available on tubi.
Hopefully, they remain once the new year turns.

Seen only a couple of Miike.
I'm almost tempted to go with deMille. I'd have to go over his list a little more to see.

Question: when the end of the year comes and there are still unfinished spots, do we continue to finish them off in the new year while starting up the next year's challenge?

The trick is not minding
Seen only a couple of Miike.
I'm almost tempted to go with deMille. I'd have to go over his list a little more to see.

Question: when the end of the year comes and there are still unfinished spots, do we continue to finish them off in the new year while starting up the next year's challenge?
It means you failed to finish the challenge within the time frame, and thus failed. Bad!

The trick is not minding
Made a purchased off of the criterion collection today to finish the normal challenge:
Frances Ha (mumblecore)
Ashes and Diamonds (Polish film school)
Ride the Pink Horse (recommended by another participant)

Should arrive within the next week or so. Meanwhile, I’m going to continue to crank out Nightmare Mode, which is now down to 18 films.

Made a purchased off of the criterion collection today to finish the normal challenge:
Frances Ha (mumblecore)
Ashes and Diamonds (Polish film school)
I really like both of these movies. I think Frances Ha gets a bum rap from people who, and I rarely say this about film, don't actually understand the point the movie is making.

The trick is not minding
I really like both of these movies. I think Frances Ha gets a bum rap from people who, and I rarely say this about film, don't actually understand the point the movie is making.
I’ve been meaning to watch Frances Ha for years, and just haven’t gotten the chance to yet. Really looking forward to it. *
Ashes and Diamonds is another, although it’s been on my radar for well over a decade now as well.
I only learned about Rise the Pink Horse about 2 years ago I think? Sometime after I joined this site, anyways. So looking forward to that as well.

The trick is not minding
That was quick!
My criterion films arrived!
*does happy dance*
Between those three and renting La Roue this weekend, I will be able to finish normal mode before December rolls around.
That’ll give me enough time to finish what ever lefts overs I have in Nightmare mode (17 as of today).

B. Times are a-changing
[Watch one film from each of these iconic decade-genre combinations]
1. 1930s Musical - Follow Thru (1930)
2. 1940s War film - The Most Beautiful (1944)
3. 1970s Apocalyptic film - The Chosen Survivors (1974)
4. 1980s Coming-of-age film - The Boy Who Drank Too Much (1980)
5. 1990s Courtroom Drama - The Rainmaker (1997)

7 films remaining

If anyone can recommend a good one from the Polish Film School, lay it on me.