Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

From those BFI lists, I guess it should be stated that Twin Peaks: The Return isn't eligible for this.
I'd have to double-check, but OJ: Made in America... wasn't that also part of a TV series or am I conflating that with another athlete-based documentary from the last decade (there were a few that got a lot of praise that I never watched).

From those BFI lists, I guess it should be stated that Twin Peaks: The Return isn't eligible for this.
"Twin Peaks: The Return" is still a television series.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

"Twin Peaks: The Return" is still a television series.

The thread organizer/host posted links to a respectable film magazine that included it in its best films of the year list. I felt like it needed to be overtly stated. I personally don't consider it for any "best films of the x" list because to me it's a TV series, but if the ground rules are set that it meets the requirements (on the, it's an 18 hour long movie, broken into hour long segments, argument, which not an insignificant number of people do), then I'd put it back into play and have to adjust my list accordingly.

Yeah, probably should've stated that Twin Peaks: The Return and any other mini series which may be on those lists aren't eligible for this list. Still though, a great deal of international films can be found in those links, so if you're looking for recommendations, those lists are great places to start.

I probably won't be submitting until close to the deadline. I have a handful of movies I haven't seen that I want to watch and a list of 82 possibles - most of which need to be rewatched before I can give them fair consideration.

Nice! So great to see Speling hosting. I know you'll do a great job.

Can we use this thread for recommendations, or will another thread be created?

Can we use this thread for recommendations, or will another thread be created?
NOTE: Since there's no recommendation thread for this countdown, feel free to post recommendations in this thread. I'll be doing that as well, in fact.

Oops, my mind had drifted by that point The weird thing is that I actually read all the rest, even though I actually know all the rules. I swear, LOL

I probably won't be submitting until close to the deadline. I have a handful of movies I haven't seen that I want to watch and a list of 82 possibles - most of which need to be rewatched before I can give them fair consideration.
I’m taking my time on this one as well

But I have too many new films to watch to focus on repeat viewings

Some of my recommendations:

Tomboy (2011)
The Wise Kids (2011)
Beyond the Hills (2012)
It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012)
Córki dancingu (2015)
Mustang (2015)
Cigarettes et chocolat chaud (2016)
Black Cop (2017)
Thunder Road (2018)
Justine (2019)

Tomboy (2011)
Thunder Road (2018)
I've only seen those two since they were nominated in two separate HoFs.

It's a Beautiful Day is the one I'm most interested in seeing. I'll definitely watch it before I submit my ballot.

Some "left field" recommendations that might or not make my ballot. I'll spread them by years and post all of them as the weeks go by, so let's start with 2010...

Beyond the Black Rainbow - Weird and icky, probably "not for everyone", as much as I hate that term, but it sticks with you. From the director of Mandy.

The Man from Nowhere - Takoma will probably throw this as well, and it was also featured on a HoF. Great action film a-la John Wick.

Sarah's Key - Powerful French drama starring Kristin Scott Thomas as a journalist trying to find the truth about a Jewish family from World War II.

King of Devil's Island - European drama about a rebellious teenager at a juvenile facility in 1915. Reminded me a bit of Cool Hand Luke, but it's still well done and well acted. Especially by Stellan Skarsgard as the director of the facility.

Four Lions - This one got one of my lower spots on the recent Comedy Countdown. Starring Riz Ahmed, among several others, it tackles the subject of terrorism, Islam, etc. with intelligent and thought-provoking humor.

The Man from Nowhere - Takoma will probably throw this as well, and it was also featured on a HoF. Great action film a-la John Wick.
That one was pretty good. Great action, in particular.

O.J.: Made in America will be way up high on my list.
Ah, checking wiki, I'm now seeing how its qualifications are kind of jumbled in my head on this one (released both as a 7hr+ documentary film and then as a mini-series on TV). I guess not having seen any of the 30-for-30, only heard people praise them, left it unclear in my head if they would be considered films or a limited series.

Ah, checking wiki, I'm now seeing how its qualifications are kind of jumbled in my head on this one (released both as a 7hr+ documentary film and then as a mini-series on TV). I guess not having seen any of the 30-for-30, only heard people praise them, left it unclear in my head if they would be considered films or a limited series.
Since it was released in both formats and since the film format of the documentary was released in the 2010s, I'd say it's eligible for this list.