Spam my 2010s Countdown ballot!...movie recommendations needed

Tools    

Didn't know you were such a fan of Elizabeth. That's one of my favorite movies of that kind.
You like that one, cool. My wife was just saying how much she liked the movie Elizabeth and wanted to see it and the other Elisabeth film Kate whos last name I can't spell, made.

I really liked Elizabeth as well but haven’t seen it since it came out. I wouldn’t mind watching it again and the second one.

I really liked Elizabeth as well but haven’t seen it since it came out. I wouldn’t mind watching it again and the second one.
I'm acquiring them right now...I haven't seen Elizabeth The Golden Age myself, when I get a chance I think I'll watch both. Have you seen The Favourite? If so thoughts? Same question for Cricket too.

You've seen far more movies than I have, Rules! (especially in that period).

I doubt I've seen anything NOT on your list except maybe some of those types of movies you don't like (and probably the only reason I saw them was because there was a free cable preview weekend or they just happened to be on while channel surfing).

I'm acquiring them right now...I haven't seen Elizabeth The Golden Age myself, when I get a chance I think I'll watch both. Have you seen The Favourite? If so thoughts? Same question for Cricket too.
Wasn't a big fan of The Favourite but I consider the director a must see guy. Interesting stuff for the right viewer.

You've seen far more movies than I have, Rules! (especially in that period).

I doubt I've seen anything NOT on your list except maybe some of those types of movies you don't like (and probably the only reason I saw them was because there was a free cable preview weekend or they just happened to be on while channel surfing).
I've seen a number of 2010 movies probably because I watch a movie each night and I use to have a Netflix subscription and used it to watch mainly brand new movies. I got my old movies (20th century) from my library.

Hey I seen a movie the other night that made me think of you as it reminded me of a movie you once told me about Marooned (1969), it was Countdown (1967). It's rated low on IMDB probably because it's more about the stress that is put on the competing astronauts and their wives. I thought it was pretty good and it's directed by Robert Altman.

Wasn't a big fan of The Favourite but I consider the director a must see guy. Interesting stuff for the right viewer.
I see he did Lobster & Dogtooth both sounded original and intriguing, though I haven't seen either and probably won't unless they are nominated in an HoF.

I love it. Lanthimos is an odd duck though. I see the tone being a problem for you. But we shall see. I hope you enjoy. Top notch performances.

I see he did Lobster & Dogtooth both sounded original and intriguing, though I haven't seen either and probably won't unless they are nominated in an HoF.
Definitely wouldn't recommend Dogtooth for you. It's possible you could enjoy The Lobster or The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

I love it. Lanthimos is an odd duck though. I see the tone being a problem for you. But we shall see. I hope you enjoy. Top notch performances.
I'm going to guess he doesn't like it and the bunnies are his favorite part.

See Cricket's reply

Definitely wouldn't recommend Dogtooth for you. It's possible you could enjoy The Lobster or The Killing of a Sacred Deer.
Gotcha.

I'm going to guess he doesn't like it and the bunnies are his favorite part.
Yeah the bunnies and the big fireplace in the kitchen. All that black soot on the brick walls was very cool and I've not seen anything like that before but I'm sure over years the area over the fireplace would become blackened. Not kidding I was impressed by that set, I wonder if it was a real location? Probably so.

I've seen a number of 2010 movies probably because I watch a movie each night and I use to have a Netflix subscription and used it to watch mainly brand new movies. I got my old movies (20th century) from my library.

Hey I seen a movie the other night that made me think of you as it reminded me of a movie you once told me about Marooned (1969), it was Countdown (1967). It's rated low on IMDB probably because it's more about the stress that is put on the competing astronauts and their wives. I thought it was pretty good and it's directed by Robert Altman.
Yes, I'm a fan of Countdown (if memory serves it's fairly realistic up to a point as most of the drama occurs on Earth, but it gets a little schlocky - or science-fictiony? - toward the very end - but don't ask me how because I don't remember the exact thing that made me think that).

The biggest draw is it stars James Caan & Robert Duval a few years before they'd appear together again in The Godfather (1972)!

I would strongly recommend The Lobster.

The monkey scene? I thought it was silly, sort of a b-horror type movie thing. It would've been better if the dead crew on the other ship had been killed by a fire. Visually that would've been more striking if the interior of the ship charred and melted from an intense onboard fire...It would be somberring as that really did happen during the Gemini project and it would be more believable than the killer monkey.
Yeah; it wasn't a bad movie, but there was definitely unfulfilled potential there, and the jarring tonal whiplash of scenes like that was definitely part of the problem: https://letterboxd.com/stusmallz/film/ad-astra-2019/

Ad Astra (2019)

Watch this one last night as my first watched recommendation. Had fun too! I love sci-fi but it's been so long since I seen a new science fiction movie, I forgot just how much fun they can be. Loved that scene up there on what I believe was an orbital tether? The monkey scene was my least favorite. But I won't over analyze this I'll just say it was enjoyable and now I'm wanting to watch more sci fi. Probably won't make my ballot but still worth a watch.

Thanks @John-Connor
Glad you liked it CR, sorry about the monkey scene I forgot about that..

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
As usual, nobody mentions Woody Allen, so:

Aside of Midnight in Paris (2011) and Blue Jasmine (2013), a must see classics are

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (2010) - a cult masterpiece
To Rome With Love (2012) - a cult satire and entertainment comedy.
A Rainy Day in New York (2019) - a cult masterpiece

Aside of Midnight in Paris (2011) and Blue Jasmine (2013), a must see classics are

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (2010) - a cult masterpiece
I will be rewatching Blue Jasmine, it was on my top ten of that year. Probably a long shot to make a 25 of the decade for me. I consider myself a pretty big fan, but nothing else of his from the decade is better than decent for me.

Yeah; it wasn't a bad movie, but there was definitely unfulfilled potential there, and the jarring tonal whiplash of scenes like that was definitely part of the problem: https://letterboxd.com/stusmallz/film/ad-astra-2019/
I read your review and I have to say I agree with you. Like you just said, I also expected a deeper more emotional meaning, but for me it worked as a fun sci fi and I still had a good time.

Glad you liked it CR, sorry about the monkey scene I forgot about that..

That pic you posted is from one of my favorite sci fi films!

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
(2010) - a cult masterpiece
I seen Blue Jasmine and panned the movie, but since have grown to really appreciate Woody Allen's film style, so I plan on watching it again as I feel I need to give Blue Jasmine another chance. I just added To Rome With Love and A Rainy Day in New York to my watch list, thanks for the recommendations!