Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I watched the documentary Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired and it was pretty good.

I was wondering how is it that Roman Polanski still remained a successful filmmaker, after the huge crime scandal. He even won an Oscar after the scandal. I mean when it comes to other celebrities, like producer Harvey Weinstein for example, you won't see him being given a the lifetime achievement Oscar 20 years from now.

Or even OJ Simpson was never able to get back into the movie business after his crime scandal, nor Robert Blake. Now I am defending any of these people at all, but I was just wondering, how is it that Polanksi was about to be successful afterwards compared to other celebrities, out of curiosity?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I watched the documentary Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired and it was pretty good.

I was wondering how is it that Roman Polanski still remained a successful filmmaker, after the huge crime scandal. He even won an Oscar after the scandal. I mean when it comes to other celebrities, like producer Harvey Weinstein for example, you won't see him being given a the lifetime achievement Oscar 20 years from now.

Or even OJ Simpson was never able to get back into the movie business after his crime scandal, nor Robert Blake. Now I am defending any of these people at all, but I was just wondering, how is it that Polanksi was about to be successful afterwards compared to other celebrities, out of curiosity?
I think because he was given a platform to work from.

Weinstein won't work in Hollywood again because of the #MeToo movement. We will have to wait and see what happens with Polanski's career in a post #MeToo movement industry.

The other two you mentioned were on trial for MURDER. Whether we like it or not, people look at things differently to various degrees. They see a sex crime, they shrug their shoulders. They see a murder, that gets their attention.

Suspect's Reviews

You make a good point, IP!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Yeah I guess Simpson was too much of an extreme example. Kevin Spacey would have been a more accurate one. But I read that the Weinstein scandal is what lead tot he me too movement. Why is there just a me too movement now, as oppose to one starting back in the 70s, after Polanski for example?

Yeah I guess Simpson was too much of an extreme example. Kevin Spacey would have been a more accurate one. But I read that the Weinstein scandal is what lead tot he me too movement. Why is there just a me too movement now, as oppose to one starting back in the 70s, after Polanski for example?
Because there was no social media back in the 70s, so the world wasn't interconnected by a social consciousness.