A Dangerous Method (2011)

Tools    

A Dangerous Method David Cronenberg

Based on the play by Christopher Hampton, the pic is about the conflict between Freud and his pupil Jung. Mortensen will star as Freud opposite Michael Fassbender as Jung. Keira Knightley will play Sabina, a disturbed young woman brought to see Jung by her father after which Jung and Sabina have an affair.

------

I really can't help my excitement for this.

Cronenberg + Viggo = I am there
Throw in Vincent Cassel and Keira Knightley, and I can't hardly wait. This might be my most anticipated for 2011.

A Dangerous Method David Cronenberg
Keira Knightley will play Sabina, a disturbed young woman brought to see Jung by her father after which Jung and Sabina have an affair.
One of Jung's preferred treatments

This is pretty much the film most looking forward to in the coming year. Love to see another Cronenberg+Mortensen collaboration, plus throw the amazing Cassel in again and Fassbender who's turning in some fantastic performances lately- recipe of talent for something that i'd hope gets Oscar attention.

Convenient time for a bump, trailer released today

?version=3&hl=en_US%94%20type=%94application/x-shockwave-flash%94%20width=%94630%94%20height=%94388%94

Knightley aside, the 3 male leads are pretty much my favourite working actors about today. High high hopes.

Knightly is wooden for the most part and doesn't look like it's an improvement in this, I'd prefer someone else in her role. Apart from that, everything else looks wonderful, three excellent leads from the men and a director I like a lot.

^ I got some cringeworthy acting moments from her in the trailer.
Possibly got a hint of that. But compared to some of her other roles... well, let's just say this looks like a rather substantial improvement.

It looks like a role that would be fantastic.... for a good actress.

She may surprise but she stuck out like a sore thumb in the trailer, imho

The trailer for this has me so fired up. I love historical dramas and this looks like a good one.

When someone asks you if you're a God, you say YES!!
Agree that this doesn't look like it's in Knightley's wheelhouse. Her Russian accent is slightly painful. Usually like Mortensen though and I'm glad to see that Fassbender is finally landing in larger roles in quality films. He's due. Can't wait to see who he is playing in Django Unchained.

I think Mortensen will make a great Freud.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Michael Fassbender coming off his excellent turn as a young Magneto has me really looking forward to this.

Also Cronenberg + Viggo vs Scorcese + Leo will be a mofo thread in the future imo.

When someone asks you if you're a God, you say YES!!
Michael Fassbender coming off his excellent turn as a young Magneto has me really looking forward to this.

Also Cronenberg + Viggo vs Scorcese + Leo will be a mofo thread in the future imo.
You're right about Fassbender. Loved him in X-men. On deck he has this, Django Unchained, & Prometheus. Not a bad couple of years.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I hope this is the right place to put this but f not, I'm happy for a mod to move it. I just need a rant.

I watched A Dangerous Method last night. Spectacular looking movie, lush sets and wardrobe, Mortensen and Fassbender were great (although the constant cigar in Viggo's mouth was starting to make me feel a bit physically ill but that;s just a nitpick) but Keira Knightly? Wow she rubs me up the wrong way, and so did the character. And I'm grown up enough not to body shame actresses but seriously, she is so tiny a man the size of the gorgeous Fassbender grinding away on her would have snapped her in two. It really distracted me. With 10 minutes left my husband looked up from his tablet and asked if I liked it. I said I wanted to punch Sabina in the teeth. I'm not sure if that was Kiera making me feel that way or the character, and feeling like that makes me feel bad (I cant even hurt a fly IRL) so I turned it off and slunk off into the bedroom for aircon.

Now my next rant - according to a poster on that board Cronenberg is on the dvd commentary saying the people criticising Kiera are ignorant because it's an accurate portrayal. Well excuse me, way to go to poop on your fandom. If he thinks I'm ignorant because I dont like that particular casting decision simply because the actress annoys me, so be it. No skin off my nose.

But after sleeping on it, maybe he wanted the character of Sabina to rub people up the wrong way? In which case, he succeeded so I will finish on a positive and say well done.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Cronenberg doing a period piece, eh? $10 says we get some weird mutant character with a phonograph sticking out of their head or something.
You get Kiera's chin morphing into Alien. I feel like i dislocated my jaw watching that.