The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Not too surprised, except by the gap: 100 points between the top two? Is that the biggest gap on any of these lists, or at least the ones with more than X participants?

I think the comics list has a jump of 200+ between #2 and #1...

Just checked, the Comics List had a difference of 139 points between places 2 & 1... this list had a difference of 107

Of course 2001 was way ahead, it's the best sci-fi film ever, and the best film ever. That's right. I had it at #1, and Blade Runner at #5.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Thanks to Nope for running a great countdown. A fine job you did.

Here's my list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Stalker
3. Star Wars
4. Metropolis
5. Blade Runner
6. Videodrome
7. Planet of the Apes (1968)
8. World on a Wire
9. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
10. Back to the Future
11. WALL-E
12. The Road Warrior
13. Children of Men
14. A Clockwork Orange
15. The Empire Strikes Back
16. The Terminator
17. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
18. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
19. Alien
20. 12 Monkeys
21. 2046
22. Alphaville
23. Gravity
24. The Thing (1982)
25. Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Aaaand my list is now complete!

Sci-Fi is not a genre I'm as strong on as I want to be. I love a lot of sci-fi films, but I need to watch plenty more...

Anyways, seeing The Thing rank at #3 is the biggest surprise yet. How it got so high is crazy, but obviously I'm only glad for that. I had it at #13 but it could even have been higher.

1. Her #25
2. Children of Men #20
3. Terminator 2: Judgment Day #9
4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind #27
5. A Clockwork Orange #7
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey #1
7. The Fly #15
8. Minority Report #63
9. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial #21
10. The Iron Giant #50
11. Alien #4
12. Aliens #12
13. The Thing #3
14. Robocop #28
15. WALL•E #16
16. Planet of the Apes #17
17. Jurassic Park #13
18. Prometheus
19. The World's End

20. Ex Machina #30
21. Face/Off
22. Inception #24
23. The Martian #60
24. Westworld
25. Coherence

I'm glad to see more people had The World's End on their list. A very underrated movie. I should have bumped Coherence up instead of counting on a one-pointer placement, though I doubt it would have made the final list even so. Prometheus is a movie that has grown on me and I've really begun to appreciate it lately. Westworld was one of the only sci-fi films I watched in preperation for the countdown, but I thought it was really good and thought that it deserved a place somewhere towards the bottom. Face/Off was probably more action than sci-fi in the minds of most mofos, but since it counted I had to include it because it's awesome.
I did not have Blade Runner on my list, but I like the movie okay. It's visually and technically stunning but I'm not in love with it (yet). But who knows. So far I have only seen it twice and usually with films like this the third time's a charm! We'll see.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for doing this, @Nope1172! It takes a LOT of hard work and I admire the dedication. Great presentation and a very smooth running. Hats off to you my man.

Movies seen from the countdown 89-100

From My list 22/25

Blade Runner was my 4th Film From List
2001 was my 19th film from my list

If anyone wants my full list will post it but is there no 1point list other then honorable mentionings.

Obligatory question time!

When will the list be available in the list section @Yoda?
It's been available since the 1st of this month MM - perhaps you need to refresh cookies?.
Who knew that Mac And Me would place so highly and so frequently

beaten to the punch by Camo

Holy crap wrong thread! Ha!
Should've kept quiet - I don't think anybody noticed

Obligatory question time!

When will the list be available in the list section @Yoda?
Longer than usual, in this case; fairly busy this weekend and I need to rewrite some code to make sure we preserve all these images. So maybe next week?

@Captain Steel, I was very interested in seeing your list! I know you're a big sci fi fan and over the years you've given me some some neat sci fi recommendations.

I'm glad to see that you included a lot of the great classic sci-fis. Some comments on your list below and or

Captain Steel's list
1. Frankenstein (1931)
2. Destination Moon (1950)...one of the recommendations you gave me, a milestone in sci fi.
3. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
4. War of the Worlds (1953)
5. Forbidden Planet (1956)
6. Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959), you're the man! I had this on my list too. Sad that it didn't make it
7. The Time Machine (1960)
8. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) Kind of low, but, then I remember you did your list chronological. Question what would have been your top 10?
9. Planet of the Apes (1968)
10. Marooned (1969) another one that you told me about, made before the Apollo moon missions. This movie needs more attention.
11. Logan's Run (1976) for Jenny Agutter, the rest of the film is good too.
12. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
13. Superman I & II (1978)
14. Alien (1979)
15. Star Trek the Motion Picture (1979) I think me and you are the only two who like this movie, everyone else Ha!
16. Road Warrior (1981)
17. Star Trek the Wrath of Kahn (1982)
18. Blade Runner (1982)
19. Back to the Future (1985)
20. Aliens (1986)
21. Robocop (1987)
22. Independence Day (1996)
23. Starship Troopers (1997)
24. Spider-Man I & II (2002)
25. District 9 (2009)...This and Spider Man II are the only one's I haven't seen.

Question what would have been your top 10?
Rules, as you know I have a hard time classifying films I like as one being better than another (see my past comments on Alien / Aliens). It really depends what mood I'm in - the first time I saw Solaris I was actually looking for a sci-fi, but was not in the mood for what I found. But I was intrigued enough by it to get in the mood to watch it again.

Age has a lot to do with it too - I remember hating most of 2001 when I was a kid.

If I were to redo my list I'd have ST-TMP higher because I love the movie - not for the things others hate about it, but for all the nostalgic reasons I've described in the past: first movie I went to with a friend without any parents, one of the early TV to film motion pictures, the reunion of the original cast, Klingons with spines on their heads!

Now there's so many from this countdown that I want to see (some I've heard of and others I haven't).

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I am online now. I will do the 40's countdown. I considered it last year already when the 50's were done. So if there are no major objections to my running it, I will do it.

And if there aren't any objections, then I will probably begin it right after Easter.

Anyway, this is the Sci-Fi countdown, I won't go on about the 40's here. But congratulations and good job to Nope for doing this! I really apologize that I never got a list to you but at that particular time in life I really had other things that I had to focus on and I wouldn't have been able to concentrate on anything like this. But if I had sent in a list, I can say that my top 5 would've at least been these films:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Day the Earth Stood Still
4. E.T.
5. Star Trek II

A lot of help now, I know, but I just wanted to say what my top 5 would've been, at least.