The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope is my favorite of the Star Wars movies. I saw it in the theater when it was originally released, and it immediately became one of my favorite movies. It was #5 on my list. (The success of Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope is also responsible for bringing Star Trek back. )

Seen: 78-1/2 out of 95
My list: 12 so far

1) E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
2) WALL·E (2008)
3) Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
4) The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
5) Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
6) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
13) The Avengers (2012)
16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
22) Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)
24) Jurassic Park (1993)

I need to rewatch the entire original trilogy before I can properly comment on the movies. I did not grow up with the original films so I saw them late and they didn't blow me away and I didn't fall in love with them. But we'll see for sure with a revisit.

Unfortunately there's nothing new I can say about A New Hope that I didn't already cover when Empire made the Countdown.

Seen: 83/95
My List: 18

Three of the films on my list have long since missed their chance to make the Countdown. Not sure if I should reveal them now, so I'm just going to leave clues.

13. I had the main character from this film as my avatar
17. Has an awesome theme song by Queen
24. This also didn't make Omni's Action Countdown so I don't know why I put it on my list for this.

I need to rewatch the entire original trilogy before I can properly comment on the movies. I did not grow up with the original films so I saw them late and they didn't blow me away and I didn't fall in love with them. But we'll see for sure with a revisit.
I was the same way for a long time, but like a lot of movies and music I was overexposed to as a child, I have revisited them as an adult ("adult") with a fresh perspective and have come to really appreciate them. They bored me quite a bit growing up, but now I absolutely love them.

Forcing people to watch films as an aid to brainwashing has been around for quite a while. Like I said, aside from the eye hooks (and whatever the wires are supposed to be) brainwashing via classical conditioning & forced association is not a futuristic concept.
Not at all in the extreme way in which it's presented in the film, though. There's a scientific basis to the whole concept, but the material parts, like the hooks and wires, and the extreme way in which he responds to the therapy are pure fiction. I think this film fits the sci-fi genre pretty well.

---------------------------

From the Star Wars series, I only had The Empire Strikes Back at #7, which is by far my favorite from the series.

A New Hope Is number 1 film from my list and for me the original is still the best. Yes I know the light saber battle is not the best in this but by far for me when connect the films there is so much in that scene.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Despite my love for A Clockwork Orange, it did not receive a vote from me.

Star Wars did though, even if I prefer the other two films over it. It started something that cannot be denied and changed the way not only sci/fi movies are done, but films in general. It deserves to be on the list more than any other film in the franchise.

Still sticking with my claim that ALL my films make this list!!!!

1. Dark City
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
4. The Matrix
5. Inception
6. Children of Men
7. Minority Report
8. Wall-E
9. District 9
10. Star Wars: A New Hope
11. Jurassic Park
12. E.T.
15. The 5th Element
16. Ghostbusters
17. Avatar
18. Moon
19. Serenity
20. Interstellar
21. Donnie Darko
23. 12 Monkeys
25. Edge of Tomorrow

Suspect's Reviews

Two more from me. T2 was my #22. Despite the things I have trouble with, when this film works it works very well. That makes it fun enough for me to get past the other stuff and the fact that it still looks really good helps greatly there, too.

#8 on my list was the best of the Star Wars saga. Looks better, is better and, erm... Well, that's about it really. The only Star Wars film on my list (though, on reflection, maybe I should've included Star Wars) and something from my own 100, it was always going to be high on my list for this countdown.

I think I have one more film to come.

Well, A Clockwork Orange sucks...
Finally! We agree on this.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats
Back to the Future

This film actually didn't receive a whole lot of votes towards the beginning of the countdown, but around the last few days it appeared on nearly every list putting it at a respectable fifth place and is the first film to be on over 30 lists.

The Placements
1st (x2)
4th (x3)
5th
6th
7th (x4)
8th (x3)
9th (x4)
10th (x2)
12th
13th
14th
16th
17th
18th
19th (x2)
21st
22nd (x2)
23rd
24th

Just as i spoke i get my answer and Its more or less as I predicted and wished was wrong. Should have for seen Back To The Future ahead of T2 And All 3 Star Wars movies. Most love this movie but I dont like it at all and its ok that its on the list for i figured it would. Its just a film that does not age well for me.

I haven't seen Back to the Future in a while but it's such a good movie I had to vote for it. It's so enormously entertaining.

My list-

#1 A Clockwork Orange (7th)
#2 Strange Days (81st)
#3 Aliens (12th)
#4 The Fly (15th)
#5 The Terminator (10th)
#6 RoboCop (28th)
#8 28 Days Later (85th)
#9 E.T. (21st)
#10 Back to the Future (5th)
#11 Total Recall (19th)
#12 The Hidden (82nd)
#13 Planet of the Apes (17th)
#19 Children of Men (20th)
#20 Seconds (84th)
#21 Donnie Darko (83rd)
#22 Interstellar (43rd)
#23 Ex-Machina (30th)
#24 Her (25th)
#25 They Live (45th)

2 more to come for me

Damn, I was hoping this would be 2001.
Hope 2001 doesn't break the top 3.
It will be #1.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."