JayDee's Movie Musings

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Well that proved rather popular. 18 reps!!! That makes it the most repped review already, after just a couple of days. I need to track down a couple of people who haven't repped it yet so I can hit 20!

I've just realised something. If I had only posted my Seven Samurai review 79 minutes earlier I would actually have accomplished a unique feat completely by accident. I posted my 100th review on November 19th 2012. My 200th was posted on November 20th 2013 at 1.18 am. Almost an astonishing bit of symmetry there.

Also how about this from the first ever post of this thread -

Originally Posted by JayDee
I'm the kind of person where I'll perhaps either become obsessed and do reviews all the time, or I'll do one and then never get round to it again
Well I think we know which way that went!

Anyway thanks for all the congratulations and kind words everyone. Onward to the next milestone, which will either my 250th review or page 100.

Dedicating reviews to MoFos. That's something I should start doing.
Why do I get the feeling that won't be as nice as it sounds? I'm picturing a Whoopi Goldberg season dedicated to honeykid for example

Congratulations on 200 reviews, and thank you so much not only for choosing to dedicate the 200th review to me, but for reviewing one of my top 10 favorite movies!

I love Kurosawa as a director, and Seven Samurai is in my opinion his crowning masterpiece. And for such a celebrated and accomplished director that says something about this film.
Thanks GS. And you're very welcome. You've earned it for all the time you've spent reading my reviews and for sticking with the Wyld Stallions pic even when people were begging for you to ditch it.

I really need to get back to watching more Kurosawa. I've only seen 5 or 6 of his films so far I think but have really liked/loved them all. Seven Samurai obviously, Throne of Blood and Rashomon (both of which I've reviewed), Yojimbo, Sanjuro and I'm sure there's another but I'm blanking on it just now

Congratulations on reaching 200, JD, and that's a fantastic review to mark the occasion.

Have you seen 13 Assassins?
Thanks HK. And yes I have seen 13 Assassins. Not up to the standards of Seven Samurai but a very good film in its own right I felt. I'll need to actually give it another watch and perhaps attempt a review sometime. It's been a couple of years since I saw it so don't remember a whole lot of it, except for one scene which was amongst the most startling I've seen in quite a while (I'm guessing those that have seen it can guess which scene I'm talking about)

Excellent review as always, JayDee.

Reading over your reviews it occurs to me that I will never have a reviews thread like this. I don't know how you manage to come up with so much to say about each film. I can almost never manage more than a two or three sentences. Even when I did my top100 and wrote a few words about why I love each movie I struggled to come up with something other than "it doesn't suck."
Thanks Vicky.

Really? See I had actually been going to ask you if you had ever thought of writing reviews. You obviously have a passion and skill for writing (I've read some of your story, will need to get back to it) and going by the thoughts you expressed on Quills you can identify and discuss the deeper elements at play in films. And I can't always come up with much to write. Even films that feel like they should inspire a whole review can sometimes only pull from me a Micro Musing or nothing at all. Or for whatever reason I can sometimes struggle with huge favourites of mine that I really love and have seen loads of time, but breeze through something like Behind the Candelabra which was a bit of a middling experience. All just depends on the film and my mood at the time as to what it inspires.

And I think I've certainly improved and grown over time, as have my reviews. Those at the start where substantially shorter than they are now. I've just learned as I've gone along. Unlike a lot of people on here I've never taken any film classes or courses so my appreciation for elements and themes in films has grown (hopefully) the more films I've watched and the more reviews I've written. And I'm sure I still miss out on a lot of subtler touches and allusions in films but I'll keep working on it

Lord, JayDee. Can I just say what's on my mind? You act like you're the best damn movie reviewer around. Sure, you write some good, lengthy reviews and I like you just fine, but what's with all this pomp? You don't see me keeping track of how many reviews I've done and what my 200th review is gonna be and such and such. Yesterday he sent me a personal thank you PM -- and I'm sure everyone else got one, too. And according to the post office, I have a "personal massager" on the way to my home which was sent by JayDee. I might even be getting more gifts from him.

This is too much!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
you got a massager!?! all i got was a pair of fluffy slippers - but, hey, they're REALLY REALLY comfy slippers, and winter's a-coming, so . . .

Another epic review for an epic movie, jay and you now have 19, and one step closer to 20 woo hoo

and CONGRATS on # 200!!!!

seeing the comment on 13 assassins that could be a fun write up to read from you
Regardless, looking forward to the next review

Great review JayDee, and congrats on reaching 200 reviews . Glad you like Seven Samurai it made my last top 100, i prefer Rashomon but Seven Samurai is a masterpiece too. Thanks alot for the shoutout, i haven't commented on this thread because i decided to start from page 1 and i'm only on 50 something

Cinemaafficionado, you always have diet advice for everyone. Well, here's some post advice for you, babe:

STOP QUOTING THE WHOLE F'ING REVIEW JUST TO SAY A FEW WORDS!!!

You did this to me in my review thread, too, with The Master.
Jason, are you on your period?
Dieting is something I know something about so I try to share that.
As far as quotes go, I usualy insert them as a reference to my reply and sometimes I just don't have the time to delete what's not relevant.
Anyway, this is not really the thread to be addressing this.

Aww thanks CA. Very nice of you to say. Although the words you used to describe my Thor review weren't exactly the most exciting - "solid and thorough"? That's the kind of way you'd describe a tax return, not one of my dynamic reviews!

And it's nice to see you back by the way. Hope you had a good time on your travels.
John,
I do my own tax returns and they are sometimes quite dynamic (at least the IRS seems to think so)

Thanks Vicky.

Really? See I had actually been going to ask you if you had ever thought of writing reviews. You obviously have a passion and skill for writing (I've read some of your story, will need to get back to it) and going by the thoughts you expressed on Quills you can identify and discuss the deeper elements at play in films. And I can't always come up with much to write. Even films that feel like they should inspire a whole review can sometimes only pull from me a Micro Musing or nothing at all. Or for whatever reason I can sometimes struggle with huge favourites of mine that I really love and have seen loads of time, but breeze through something like Behind the Candelabra which was a bit of a middling experience. All just depends on the film and my mood at the time as to what it inspires.
Yeah, pulling BS out of my ass to write fiction is way easier than coming up with something to say about real things.

My write-up for Quills was an exception, though I still don't know how I managed to come up with that much to say about it (which is still far shorter than your typical reviews). I bet if I tried to do the same for Gladiator I'd come up short.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Lord, JayDee. Can I just say what's on my mind? You act like you're the best damn movie reviewer around. Sure, you write some good, lengthy reviews and I like you just fine, but what's with all this pomp? You don't see me keeping track of how many reviews I've done and what my 200th review is gonna be and such and such. Yesterday he sent me a personal thank you PM -- and I'm sure everyone else got one, too. And according to the post office, I have a "personal massager" on the way to my home which was sent by JayDee. I might even be getting more gifts from him.

This is too much!

Some people I'd know for sure they were being serious and I'd just write them off as being a complete d!ck. Others I'd know were just joking and messing me around. But when it comes to Sexy I'm never sure. Hell it might not even be Sexy. It might be Dorothy Michaels who is logged in under his account by mistake. And if so it appears it's her time of the month.

Jason, are you on your period?
Dieting is something I know something about so I try to share that.
As far as quotes go, I usualy insert them as a reference to my reply and sometimes I just don't have the time to delete what's not relevant.
Anyway, this is not really the thread to be addressing this.
Yeah, it is. It's not like I need to make a thread dedicated to post tips for you, do I? I just think it's a BIG waste of space to quote ALL of the review. People have to scroll and scroll and scroll past it to read something you wrote that's only like two sentences! Rather than quoting the whole post / review, just respond without any quotes at all. JayDee (or anyone else) will get the picture as to what you're responding to.

Just start off with "Hey JayDee! I read your review. I think..." and then go off with your comments. No need to quote the whole review just because you think it's better than finding and quoting snippets.

Some people I'd know for sure they were being serious and I'd just write them off as being a complete d!ck. Others I'd know were just joking and messing me around. But when it comes to Sexy I'm never sure. Hell it might not even be Sexy. It might be Dorothy Michaels who is logged in under his account by mistake. And if so it appears it's her time of the month.
I'm being serious but I'm doing it gently. I really do feel like, "Why the hell has JayDee turned his review thread into a conga line where everyone dances and struts together for him, waving their hands out in excitement to press the rep button?" You are acting like the king of reviews around here. Yet I'm the one with Rex Reed's seal of approval!

And what about poor Rodent and all the other MoFo reviewers? Where's their review thread party?

Can't believe I forgot about Gloria Estefan for the Female Song Tournament.

I am just laughing at how spotlight heavy JayDee likes to be. Ha Ha Ha.

Everyone grab a hold of my butt as I lead this conga line to glory!
*grabs a hold of Gunslinger45's butt*

*congas*

*gets out of conga line while still holding onto Gunslinger45's butt and conga-ing away with Gunslinger45*

*Gunslinger45 is never seen again*