The MoFo Top 100 of the Seventies

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
If The China Syndrome is not on this list, I will suffer a rectal prolapse.
You better have surgery premptively scheduled for about six months from now.

Okay so I updated my IMDB list, it now has the good 70s films I have seen, the films from my watchlist, all the films Holden listed from various sources, the films from Bluedeed's post and Mr Minio's post.

358 films in total. You have no excuses when it comes to knowing what to watch!

http://www.imdb.com/list/5RmTlgITp78/

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
On a separate note, animation people this time round should all vote for the emotionally harrowing Watership Down just because it is bleak, miserable and brilliant.

When it comes to live-action, if I told you that I would shove that baseball bat somewhere and turn you into a popsicle, which film would I be endorsing a vote for?

Reviews

Alright, I have finalized my own list. Wanted to do it early, so I don't get influenced, either consciously or subconsciously, by the other lists.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You work fast Holden! Great write-up.

Like a lot of people I have a 70s watchlist as long as my arm and I want to see as much as possible, so expect my list to be among the last submitted.

Looking forward to this!

On a separate note, animation people this time round should all vote for the emotionally harrowing Watership Down just because it is bleak, miserable and brilliant.
No, don't vote for that. Horrible film.

When it comes to live-action, if I told you that I would shove that baseball bat somewhere and turn you into a popsicle, which film would I be endorsing a vote for?

I say this every list. But why oh why do you people send your lists in now? Is there any benefit to it all? The only benefit is not forgetting it, which is highly unlikely due to the amount of posts in this thread and PMs you're likely to get. Sending it in early ALWAYS results in people moaning about how they didn't get to include a masterpiece they just saw or how they forgot to include something.

Unless your like Mark and you have seen pretty much every film that is going to make the list (although even he had not seen Visitor to a Museum I don't think! ).

It's similar to these people who say they know what movies they will like and won't, and aren't willing to explore new films. Part of the beauty of these lists is exploring new parts of cinema you hadn't before and finding new films for your list, if you honestly think you know your list won't change between now and when you send your list, I think that's pretty ignorant of some of the great films that I hope show up without your help.

Sorry if this sounds angry, and each to their own of course, if you're happy with what you're doing, go for it, just don't complain when x film didn't show up because of you!
Older people who have watched more movies have a very hard to crack top 25 for each decade, so it's unlikely that viewing a few dozen 1970's movies will crack their top 25 and if it does, it will crack the lower ranking films, not changing the list significantly. Specially given that their tastes are well defined so that viewing films from other niches will probably not make a difference.

Plague Dogs, from 1982, from the same guys, is even better. Though, I included only three animated films in my top 25 list: Galaxy Express 999, Castle of Cagliostro and Tale of Tales.

I like this movie from 1975:

Miss Vicky should see this if she hasn't already.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tommy.jpg
Views:	3065
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	13286  

I don't know if she'd be into it, but I got her into Hedwig, so, maybe.

While we are recommending, don't forget the single best performance by an actress ever:

And perhaps the best horror movie ever (and we owe Herzog for leaving Fitzcarraldo out of the 80s list):

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Plague Dogs, from 1982, from the same guys, is even better. Though, I included only three animated films in my top 25 list: Galaxy Express 999, Castle of Cagliostro and Tale of Tales.
It may be good, but there is nothing on earth that could ever ever make me watch that movie again.

It may be good, but there is nothing on earth that could ever ever make me watch that movie again.
Which one?

I watched Plague Dogs in the same day as Only Yesterday. I found Plague Dogs to be significantly powerful but almost insignificant next to my emotional reaction I had to Only Yesterday (I was crushed by it, completely).