Whats your fav Kubrick?

Tools    

motivationally deficient
whats your favourite kubrick?. and why?. my favourite is A clockwork orange. Alex is one of the coolest charchters around. It showed how the world can be a weird and horrible place, and how alex who goes around torturing people and being a wicked person ultimately doesn't have to pay for what he does. And it's funny too. So this film brilliantly satirises this world, showcasing pure evil and people who ordinarily do not perform such evil are forced to laugh and observe what we all hate to admit is the truth. It's sick, but at the same time brilliant.

2001. Psychadelic ending. Intense and original visualization of a foreign world/technology. Methodical pace and a really creepy atmosphere. I also like how it satisfies while leaving all the really important questions open-answer. Pretty much everything I look for in good science fiction.

Sticking with his eleven major works...

"That's right, Sir; you are the only person authorized to do so. And although I hate to judge before all the facts are in, it's beginning to look like General Ripper exceeded his authority."

1. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Love the Bomb
GRADE: A+++
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
GRADE: A+
3. Paths of Glory
GRADE: A+
4. Barry Lyndon
GRADE: A
5. Eyes Wide Shut
GRADE: A-
6. The Killing
7. A Clockwork Orange
8. The Shining
GRADE: B+
9. Full Metal Jacket
GRADE: B+
10. Lolita
GRADE: B
11. Spartacus
GRADE: C+

For me Dr. Strangelove stands out as his masterpiece among masterpieces. I could watch it every single day and never tire of it. It is peerless, the sharpest satire and darkest comedy ever made.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hmm, I'd probably rank them ~

Lolita
Full Metal Jacket
Strangelove
Clockwork Orange
Paths of Glory
The Killing
Killer's Kiss

... but don't hold me to that, it's been almost a decade since I saw most of these.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Fullmetal Jacket.

It stars R. Lee Ermy, who is a great actor, and who had his best role (IMO) in this film as SGT. Hartman. The plot is good and for being filmed in London, the backdrop is incredible. Kubricks display of war is easily one of the greatest war films ever made.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Barry Lyndon probably. The story always fascinated me and the way it looks is fantastic.

I saw Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Love the Bomb a long long time ago. I remember I liked it then but I need to see it again to do it real justice. Same with Spartacus.

I would rank The Killing, Paths of Glory, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut about the same. Perhaps The Killing as slightly above the others. I think the first half of Full Metal Jacket is flawless but the other half could have been better. Lolita was good but not great.

I actually have never cared too much for neither 2001: A Space Odyssey nor A Clockwork Orange.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The People's Republic of Clogher
The one I watched most recently was 2001 (always find it handy for trying out a new DVD player) though it's hard to choose between it and Strangelove...

Here's my top five list:
  1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    MY GRADE: A++
  2. Dr Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
    MY GRADE: A+
  3. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
    MY GRADE: A+
  4. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
    MY GRADE: A
  5. Paths of Glory (1957)
    MY GRADE: A

01. Barry Lyndon (1975)
02. Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
03. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
04. The Shining (1980)
05. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
06. The Killing (1956)
07. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
08. Paths of Glory (1957)
09. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
10. Lolita (1962)
11. Spartacus (1960)

i just love horror movies so i have always liked this more than his other films and this is one of the few movies that i really find scary

Barry Lyndon is definitely one of my favorite Kubrick films. Ryan O'Neal does an excellent job as the title character. I also enjoy Paths of Glory--excellent stuff. I would add Spartacus to the list (one of my all-time favorite movies) but I see it as more of a Kirk Douglas movie than a Kubrick movie. But yeah, Kubrick remains one of my favorite filmmakers, along with Hitchcock, Spielberg and a few others.

A system of cells interlinked
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Dr. Strangelove
or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.
The Killing
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
Spartacus

The rest I have yet to see. I really want to see Barry Lyndon, soon.

They are all incredible films, so ranking them feels somehow pointless. The man was a genius. I love all of his work that I have seen. Well, except maybe Spartacus...

Good boy/terrible girl
Dr. Strangelove
Clockwork Orange

Hard to pick since I haven't seen a film Kubrick made that I did not like but if pressed I would say its a toss up between A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket.

Silencio
1. 2001
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. Clockwork Orange
4. Eyes Wide Shut

My DVD Collection

Stanley Kubrick

Stanley Kubrick will probably remain my favorite director until the day I die. What I love most about his body of work is that he never settled for a particular genre. Actually, he dabbled in nearly all the genres, even romance; albeit a Kubrickian romance. From the beginning of his career, it was easy to see that Kubrick was a true auteur, even though all of his films were based on novels written by others; he made films his way, and they were never duplicated either in style or message. Kubrick was a genius and a master filmmaker.

My favorites in order (I have never seen Killer’s Kiss):

• 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • Dr. Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop worrying and Love the Bomb
  • Barry Lyndon
  • Paths of Glory
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • The Killing
  • Full Metal Jacket
  • The Shining
  • Spartacus
  • Eyes Wide Shut
  • Lolita
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

motivationally deficient
"Kubrickian" like it, like it

I cannot take credit for that. Sammy gave me that line when I went into a total brain fart that peeled the paint of the inner lining of my skull.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Spartacus.
Followed by 2001:ASO.
Kubrick pains me though.
He communicates discomfort in the same way that my mother does: by describing it to you in vivid, lengthy, masochistic detail. I have to listen to my mom, so that doesn't leave a lot of patience for SK.