Movie Tab II

Tools    

Since May

Midsommar (Aster, 2019)
Aster is seriously the director to look out for right now, between this and Hereditary he's doing brilliant things. This one is perhaps slightly less lasting but haunting none the less. His cult obsession reminds of of Polanski, as does much of the directorial style. One of the best modern day horrors.
-

Jojo rabbit (Waititi, 2019)
Hard to remember you're not watching a Wes Anderson film, during this colorful and touching WWII piece. Very human, and well balanced. The final quote really sticks. Probably will rate higher with another viewing
++

American Murder: The Family Next Door (Popplewell, 2020)
This is actually the laziest true crime documentary I have ever wasted my time watching. You will get much more insight off about any amateur Youtube video diving in the case. News collage mixed with facebook posts, no drama, no effort, no intrigue. And it's actually an interesting case, but this was a waste. F*ck Chris Watts, and F*ck this lazy production

Nostalgic Halloween week. Revisiting 80s & 90s movies I haven't seen in many a moon:

The Night Flier (1997) -

Miguel Ferrer plays the usual sweet, affable, kindhearted, considerate and generous individual who works for a highly reputable tabloid that, in absolutely good faith, puts him on the case of a vampiric serial murderer. Hacky writing and OTT characters, but a comfortable & spooky atmosphere with a big Fulci-esque climax. Also, the movie takes its runtime to build up the big face reveal of the villain, so you can thank the marketing team for putting it on the poster.

Deep Rising (1998) -

A group of ruffians board an ostentatious cruise ship intending to rob it, but are foiled by the offspring of CG water tremors & the langoliers. Dumb fun action horror. There are actually some pretty funny one liners, a consistently fun plot, and a likable wise cracking hero played by Treat Williams. It seems a bit more self-aware than most of its ilk. Best consumed with testosterone, caffeine and popcorn.

Pumpkinhead (1988) -

A rural shopkeeper employs a rubbery demon to enact revenge on a group of cityfolk. I did not remember how great the cinematography is. Although there's plenty of camp, there are also some powerful and morbid moments that aren't drug down by it.

Leviathan (1989) -

An underwater Alien rip-off with elements of The Thing thrown in. It's not too ham-fisted until the gore commences. Most of it is a lot of fun, with a decent cast and a well-paced build to the horror, but is bookended by one of the tackiest, most phoned in endings I've ever seen.

Mimic (1997) -

Killer man-sized roaches in New York. Steamy dark blue-green-yellow cinematography is the most standout element, along with Charles S. Dutton stealing every scene he's in. The great atmosphere carries it most of the way, but the final act is too hectic for my tastes, and hinders the creepiness that came before it. Still my favorite Del Toro movie behind Pan's Labyrinth.

Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) -

A heavy dose of twisted, fantastical, borderline surreal horror that goes way beyond even Barker's original vision. Christopher Young's score is even more aptly epic. The movie is batsh*t and creative enough for me to forgive some silliness and implausibilities.

Lord of Illusions (1995) -

A neo-noir horror movie about a private eye getting mixed up in a case involving real magic. Special effects range from outstanding twisted practical effects to some absurdly corny CGI. It's a unique horror movie, though the noir elements and lead character are cliche (that may have been the point; a homage to old school gumshoes).

October, 2020 movies watched-

Possessor (2020)
+ A must watch for fans of Sci-Fi/horror.

The Nightingale (2018)
I was pleasantly surprised at how brutal this historical revenge tale was.

Borat 2 (2020)
- The dude is just funny.

Totally Under Control (2020)
Excellent documentary even if it's liberal propaganda.

A Man and a Woman (1966)
Beautiful French romance with it's share of pain.

October viewings-5
2020 viewings-121

Hello! I'm glad to be here.

Deep Rising (1998) -

A group of ruffians board an ostentatious cruise ship intending to rob it, but are foiled by the offspring of CG water tremors & the langoliers. Dumb fun action horror. There are actually some pretty funny one liners, a consistently fun plot, and a likable wise cracking hero played by Treat Williams. It seems a bit more self-aware than most of its ilk. Best consumed with testosterone, caffeine and popcorn.
Pleased to see a positive reaction. This is a longtime favorite of mine. I think it's considerably better than its reputation. The movie doesn't have the obnoxious level of self-awareness that bugs me about a lot of modern movies with B-movie premises, but everyone in front and behind the camera seemed fully aware of the type of flick they were making, yet it still treats itself seriously enough for viewers to invest in the stakes. Famke Janssen at the peak of her sex appeal is another highlight.

Speaking of dumb, fun, testosterone-fueled action-horror-comedies starring Treat Williams, you ever seen the 80's zombie buddy-cop flick, Dead Heat? That's another favorite of mine I'd recommend.

Pleased to see a positive reaction. This is a longtime favorite of mine. I think it's considerably better than its reputation. The movie doesn't have the obnoxious level of self-awareness that bugs me about a lot of modern movies with B-movie premises, but everyone in front and behind the camera seemed fully aware of the type of flick they were making, yet it still treats itself seriously enough for viewers to invest in the stakes. Famke Janssen at the peak of her sex appeal is another highlight.

Speaking of dumb, fun, testosterone-fueled action-horror-comedies starring Treat Williams, you ever seen the 80's zombie buddy-cop flick, Dead Heat? That's another favorite of mine I'd recommend.
The purpose of that binge was to rewatch movies that I already knew I had fun with in the past. I may have underrated it a bit. It's hard to imagine anyone that likes OTT slimy action not enjoying Deep Rising.

Haven't seen Dead Heat, but it looks good. I'll seek it out soon.

Seen in November

Possessor
-: You rarely see gore like this in horror and action anymore, so this was a fun change of pace. The characters are a bit boring, which makes me hesitant to re-watch it, but I’m still excited to see what Brandon Cronenberg comes up with next.

All About my Mother Re-watch
-: Not as good as I remembered, but I still love the characters and colours.

The Last American Virgin
: An average sex comedy that evolves into a heart wrenching critique of itself. I know it’s a bit of a cult classic, but I’d like to see it become more popular.

The Merchant of Venice (2015)
: I miss the theatre.

Saboteur
-: Maybe it echoes ‘The 39 Steps' too much and is tonally inconsistent in parts, but since it’s Hitchcock you’re guaranteed excellent chase scenes and a nail-biting ending.

Red Heat
: Not one of Arnie’s best ventures; it’s watchable but doesn’t do anything that hasn’t been done before.

The Mask Re-watch
+: I miss these silly CGI slapstick films. Jim Carrey is great as always, and the style and presentation of the moonlit city is what my mind always goes to when I think of noir.

The Blob (1958)
+: I don’t hate ’tell don’t show’ old B-movies (I mean, I love The Fly and The Incredible Shrinking Man), it’s just that there wasn't enough Blob action for me; too many scenes of teenagers goofing around or arguing with the police.

We Live in Public
: Documentary about a crazy tech guy who created intense art projects which represented his view of the internet. Quite an interesting guy, and he might’ve predicted the prevalence of social media?

Dancer in the Dark
+: Manages to re-evaluate the musical genre while not insulting the genre and still being an excellent musical in its own right. Björk is as good as an actress as she is a singer, she does amazingly at portraying a childlike but brave and determined mother. I know some critique it as being melodramatic, but I quite like that; sometimes we all need a good cry in our lives (and Hollywood musicals can be quite melodramatic so it kinda ties into the meaning of the film).

The Exorcist 3
+: Should’ve just called it something else, it’s a good horror but it’s unfair to compare it to The Exorcist. George C. Scott is amazing, in fact nearly all of the acting in this film is very good. Despite being quite quaint in comparison to the Exorcist, it manages to pack in a few good scares. The scenes of people describing crimes really echo ‘Seven’, even though this was made before that.

On the Town
: I honestly preferred the dancing over the actual songs, but yeah I had fun.

Scream 2
-: Of course you can’t really live up to the first one, but it still manages to be quite suspenseful and have humorous scenes that make fun of itself.

————————————————————
Saw these ones as part of an online film festival

Paris is Burning
: One of those documentaries where the director doesn’t intervene and just lets the subjects speak for themselves. A very humorous but tragic story that offers a whole new perspective on NYC. Director gave an introduction for this one, so that was cool

Keyboard Fantasies
-: I don’t care for music documentaries, but the premise interested me enough to check this out. A documentary about a dude that made an electronic album in the 80’s that sold like 50 copies, now it’s a cult classic and we get to see his touring life with his band. Cool examination of a single person and shows how fun the young indie touring artist scene is.

Siberia
+: My first Abel Ferrara, so I have no idea whether this was a unique film or a boring retread of his previous work. Still, I found it an interesting one of those ‘dreamscape’ films. Abel introduced this one, so I appreciated that.

Honeymood
: If ‘The Odyssey’ was a romcom set over a single night. I like how it depicts how you love a partner even if you’re arguing with them, but that’s about it really.

Wildfire
: A really solid character piece with great performances.

Ashes and Diamonds
-: I have the same thoughts about this that I'd have to a Bergman film; it has great visuals and an incredible effective ending, but it just doesn’t resonate with me that much.

Irish Destiny (1926)
: Feels like one of those old Soviet propaganda films but within a different context. Loses some of the tension in the second half, but it’s still a really good political drama. Our head of government gave an introduction to this one, so I guess they were really f*ckin' pumped for a restoration lol.

Wolfwalkers
: Tomm Moore/Cartoon Saloon never missteps. Suffers from most of the cliches that kids films suffer from, but the animation and music are ten times better than most kids films. Also has amazing voice acting and emotional resonance too. Will definitely be checking out this one again. Q&A with Tomm Moore afterwards, that was interesting.

October watches (doesn't include films previously rated or marked as seen on here):

November watches (doesn't include films previously rated or marked as seen on here):

The one w/o a poster on the second row is Maruja (1959)
Thr four w/o posters on row five are (l-r):
Dr. Sex (1964)
Slander House (1938)
Pink Panic (1967) short
Sicque! Sicque! Sicque! (1966) short

Almost famous for having nailed Madonna once

November, 2020 movies watched-

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)
+ Pretty good for me and I can understand the love.

Across the Universe (2007)
A great experience more than a great movie.

All About My Mother (1999)
- My 2nd movie from this director and now I'm hooked.

No Reason (2010)
- Passable German extreme film.

Rolling Vengeance (1987)
- Decent enough 80's cheese.

Pig (2010)
+ It has it moments but it gets tiring.

November viewings-6
2020 viewings-127

First time viewings + Re-watches September, October, November

_
The Day the Earth Stood Still 2008 Scott Derrickson
_
National Lampoon’s Vacation 1983 Harold Ramis
_
+ Phenomena 1985 Dario Argento
+ Night Moves 1975 Arthur Penn
+ The Darjeeling Limited 2007 Wes Anderson
_
Atlantic City 1980 Louis Malle
Used Cars 1980 Robert Zemeckis
The Final Countdown 1980 Don Taylor
Hoosiers 1986 David Anspaugh
F/X Murder by Illusion 1986 Robert Mandel
Gardens of Stone 1987 Francis Ford Coppola
_
+ The Quiet Man 1952 John Ford
+ Super Fly 1972 Gordon Parks Jr.
+ Breaker Morant 1980 Bruce Beresford
_
- Run Silent, Run Deep 1958 Robert Wise
_
Shadow of a Doubt 1943 Alfred Hitchcock
The Trouble with Harry 1955 Alfred Hitchcock
Jean de Florette 1986 Claude Berri
Manon of the Spring ‘Manon des Sources’ 1986 Claude Berri
??rating?? A Visitor to a Museum ‘Посетитель музея’ 1989 Konstantin Lopushansky
In the Mood for Love 2000 ‘花樣年華’ Wong Kar-wai
Good Night, and Good Luck. 2005 George Clooney
Tenet 2020 Christopher Nolan
_
+ Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion 1970 Elio Petri
+ Ghost in the Shell 1995 Mamoru Oshii
_
Sherlock Holmes: The Hound of the Baskervilles 1988 Brian Mills (TV Movie)
_
Planes, Trains and Automobiles 1987 John Hughes