Pre-1930s Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Interested to see how I like Die Nibelungen. Richard Wagner wrote "The Ring Cycle" in the mid-1800s, and has the same plot as "Die Nibelungen" and is suspiciously close to Lord of the Rings as well. I encourage anyone to check it out, I believe it is on Youtube. It's probably my favorite work of art ever made, including all movies, music, and visual arts... so "Die Nibelungen" has some pretty high standards to live up to

Watched both parts of Nibelungen last month. Just seen Puppe, wasn't really my cup of tea. J'accuse is another already on my lengthy 'to do' list.

The poster and title of the film with the other nominations (if that's exactly what Nostromo sent you) specifies that it's only the second part.
The poster wasn't what he sent me actually. I just grabbed it and didn't realize there were two films. He wrote this as his nom: Kriemhild's Revenge (1924) So discard the poster in fact I'll change it.

EDIT: I just changed it to an image that Nostro had sent, instead of the poster.

Interested to see how I like Die Nibelungen. Richard Wagner wrote "The Ring Cycle" in the mid-1800s, and has the same plot as "Die Nibelungen" and is suspiciously close to Lord of the Rings as well.
Wagner's musical drama and Lang's Nibelungen films are based on the same source material, which was also an inspiration to Tolkien, so the similarities are likely more intentional than they are necessarily suspicious haha.

I actually had to cover Das Nibelungenlied in one of my German classes. I like the story, so I watched a couple of film adaptations along side it. They've all kind of blurred together though, so I should probably rewatch some of them (Lang's in particular) to get them straight in my head.

Kriemhild's Revenge is Part 2 of Die Niberlungen only, Part 1 is suffixed with Siegfried. Your poster was fine CR.

The poster wasn't what he sent me actually. I just grabbed it and didn't realize there were two films. He wrote this as his nom: Kriemhild's Revenge (1924) So discard the poster in fact I'll change it.
The first film in the series was called Siegfried, so even though that wasn't his poster (which did state that it was "The 2nd Nibelungen Film", if he did include the Kriemhild's Revenge subtitle he likely meant just the second part.

Even so, it's probably worth watching both if you guys have the time. Hopefully he'll confirm what he meant before someone watches the wrong one though haha.

Just a note: for the purposes of the countdown the two parts of Die Niberlungen are each being treated as separate entities.

Or perhaps just fewer words
I shall never lessen the amount of unnecessary words I include in my responses. How dare you suggest otherwise! And more importantly, how else would I use so many characters to say nothing relevant?

I shall never lessen the amount of unnecessary words I include in my responses. How dare you suggest otherwise! And more importantly, how else would I use so many characters to say nothing relevant?
Are you sure you're not related to my wife?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
More unknown films -- SUHWEET

It's all cleared up. And good, I get to watch a few films I should've seen already by now, including The Passion Of Joan Of Arc (1928) and The Battleship Potemkin (1925).

Battleship Potemkin (1925)

Amazing! This old Soviet era, silent film is outright amazing. I couldn't believe how innovative the cinematography was. I mean this 94 year old film put to shame many a modern CG block buster. The director Sergei Eisenstein was a genius! He did something I've hardly ever seen in a scene, and that's shooting the POV, from the different points of views.

Take the famous Odessa staircase sequence. We see the townsfolk in their initial joyous unification, flooding into the port area to see the heroic sailors of the Potemkin...And they flood in droves! Then we see from their POV the approaching troops with guns drawn and bayonets fixed...And then we're treated (if that's the right word) to what it would look like if we were in the shoes of the approaching military. We then see down those same stairs at the people below are being shoot in cold blood....Then of course, there's the famous third POV of the baby in the carriage as it helplessly rolls down those long stairs. Impressive stuff!

Visually the film is so impressive I had a real hard time just settling on one image (so I didn't!)...There's so many stunning shots in this film. I loved the use of extreme close-ups on the faces of the Russian people and what a story those weathered faces told. The director really packs emotions into those close-ups.

I'm sure some will complain that this is heavy handed propaganda. But that's what makes the film so special. It's a window back into an important period of human history. This 1925 film tells of the 1905 mutiny aboard the Czar's naval ship. But in a much broader scope it glorifies the efforts of Russian serfs, who were throwing off their yokes of servitude. The people are embracing a revolution that promised to free mankind once and for all, by delivery equality. And in 1925 the promise that Soviet communism brought to the downtrodden masses was still heady with optimism. Later under the brutal dictatorship of Joseph Stalin that dream would turn into yet another form of horrendous servitude and tyranny. And yet I can't help but feel the optimism of the Russian people in 1925 as they dreamed of a better life for themselves and their children.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Odessa steps - Battleship Potemkin (1925).jpg
Views:	643
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	56209   Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	56210   Click image for larger version

Name:	sergei-eisenstein-battleship-potemkin-five.png
Views:	827
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	56211  

Lonesome

I hated watching this movie, but the three main reasons weren't really it's fault. The first was the music, which was a crap rock band accompaniment... Within a minute or two I had muted it, and put on Mahler's Symphony No. 4, which worked beautifully, I highly recommend it while watching this.

The second reason was the language barrier. This movie was in Italian and I couldn't find versions with subtitles. The plot was easy enough to get however, and I guess the Italian fillers were unnecessary.

And the last reason was the visuals... It was blurry and boring to watch.

So overall not a fun watch, but cutting out my complaints above, I'll try to rate it based on how good I think the movie actually was... which wasn't much better. I didn't really have any emotional attachment to any of the characters and I felt that the simple plot dragged on much too long.