Favorite Decade for film and your top 10 from that decade

Tools    

I was struggling over this list until I realized the question was my favorite and not the best years for film. I went through a list of my favorite movies and the seventies came out on top. I think the forties might have been a better year for film, but I am Woody allen nut so it was either the seventies or eighties for me.

1) The Godfather 1 1972
2) The Godfather 2 1974
3) One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest 1975
4) Manhattan 1979
5) China Town 1974
6) Taxi Driver 1976
7) Annie Hall 1977
8) Play it Again Sam 1972
9) Clockwork Orange 1971
10) Apocalypse Now 1979

For What it's Worth

To those who posted about movies from the 30s and 40s ... wow ! I admire your passion. I don't know why but I just can't go that far back in time ... there's some resistance in me that says I wouldn't appreciate a movie that old.

I think the farthest back I go is to the 50s - 12 Angry Men ... and I only know of it because I had to watch it in college in my public speaking class

After that one, the oldest movie I know is probably from the 70s.

This might just do nobody any good.
Okay, here...

1. Taxi Driver
2. The Godfather pt.2
3. Star Wars
4. Apocalypse Now
5. Barry Lyndon
6. Chinatown
7. The Godfather
8. Young Frankenstein
9. Network
10. Badlands

I'm gonna cheat a little and go with my favorite ten-year stretch of movies because I think it's stronger than any traditional decade, the best period yet for film.

1966-1976.

1.) Persona
2.) Taxi Driver
3.) 2001: A Space Odyssey
4.) Welfare
5.) The Battle of Algiers
6.) The Red and the White
7.) Medium Cool
8.) The Last Picture Show
9.) Playtime
10.) Andrei Rublev

That ten year span contains 8 of my top 10 films of all time. Runners up like Harlan County, USA, Kings of the Road, Barry Lyndon, The Mirror, Nashville, Chinatown, Scenes from a Marriage, Juvenile Court, Last Tango in Paris, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, The Godfather, Cries and Whispers, Punishment Park, Hospital, Ice, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, Z, Salesman, The Hour of the Furnaces, Memories of Underdevelopment, and Weekend all break my top 100 too. Hell of a time for movies.

it is difficult because the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s are all very close for me as regards numbers of favourite films from those decades etc. But i think i will go for the 30s:
Trouble In Paradise
La Kermesse Heroique
The Goose and the Gander
Ask A Policeman
Good Morning, Boys!
The Lady Vanishes
Bringing Up baby
Convict 99
First A Girl
Q Planes

Count me in on the 1970's...off the top of my head:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest