Do you need to watch the trailer before watching the movie?

Tools    

“I was cured, all right!”
Park chan-wook, Bong Joon-ho, Takeshi Kitano, Gareth Evans, Nolan and so many others directors that I love, I just don't watch the trailers, but for movies that I'm not sold I watch. It's good some times, the new Headshot trailer shows Iko kicking ass during all time, that's just what I expect to see in a Kung Fu trailer. Now, trailer like the Suicide Squad that gives you enough spoiler feels stupid and wrong...

It depends.

There are certain actors whose movies I'll watch just because they're in them, and I'll occasionally look them up on IMDb to keep up to date on their future projects. Other movies I decide to watch either on the direct recommendation of other MoFos or after reading praise from MoFos whose opinions I respect. ... If I'm really blown away by a film, I'll often want to check out the other works of its stars and director.
I always keep an on them and on movies in general about release dates, actors, producers, directors etc
Most of my movie watchlist is made by wandering the internet looking for trivia and movie history.

I do, however, feel the need to read a review AFTER watching it, and check a forum (rip IMDB) to know what people have thought about it.
Yeah, I also usually see a review or something after watching the movie

Trailers can be deceiving. Reviews can be deceiving. Ratings can be deceiving.
You got that right, still remember watching the Suicide Squad trailer and being blown away and then when i watched the movie i realised that I could've just seen the trailer, all the good parts where there! Such a big spoiler and consequently disappointment

rasn, are you asking this for a psychology assignment? Interesting question.
Yeah, just the first step to world domination, starting with you movie junkies
No, just curious about it since I know people who don't like to watch or read anything before watching the movie since it will ruin their experience (in their words).

From new films that are coming out, I almost always watch the trailer. I can't hold myself to take a peek, especially with new releases that I'm very excited about. With older films, I just tend to read a very short summary of what the film is about before I start watching it and look at who's involved in the making of the film.

I always read trivia and background information about the film, the content, the actors and the director involved. I also often read a review or two if I thought the film was interesting and if opinions and observations from other people might be able to strengthen my grasp on the material and broaden my understanding of the feelings or thoughts the film evoked.
This. Couldn't write it any better. It's exactly what I do! Usually with new releases I watch the trailer because there's no chance of giving me spoilers since the actual movie comes out months later and when it does, I already kinda forgot the trailer

Park chan-wook, Bong Joon-ho, Takeshi Kitano, Gareth Evans, Nolan and so many others directors that I love, I just don't watch the trailers, but for movies that I'm not sold I watch. It's good some times, the new Headshot trailer shows Iko kicking ass during all time, that's just what I expect to see in a Kung Fu trailer. Now, trailer like the Suicide Squad that gives you enough spoiler feels stupid and wrong...
Trailer like the Suicide Squad are a good example... of how not to do a trailer!

I'm usually the 3rd type, after watching the movie I search for movie trivia and links between the actors, connections with other movies. I like to see trailers from movies who haven't come out yet to see if anything interesting is coming. Going to the cinema very often i can't ignore all the trailers that appear in the screen right before the movie.
I usually stay away from cast (as far as I can) since I like to exercise my mind, searching for prior movies where I'd seen that face and from where I know this and that actor, it's quite fun

We Make Nonsense Of Investing
Nope. I go out of my way to avoid trailers if possible. I did, however, gorge myself on the Logan trailer.

Have you seen The Wild or Chicken Little?

I love Pixar and a lot of Disney - hell there's two Pixars and a Disney in my top ten - but not everything they do is good.
Chicken Little is a masterpiece

I watch trailers only if I'm not sure whether or not I've seen a movie before. Otherwise I go by directors, recommendation, ratings, feeling

I'm way more interested in cast and crew, but I definitely do watch trailers some times. For example, yesterday I wanted to watch a really well-made gorefest, so I started watching some trailers to find something that fit the tone I was looking for. Ended up falling asleep instead.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I'm way more interested in cast and crew, but I definitely do watch trailers some times. For example, yesterday I wanted to watch a really well-made gorefest, so I started watching some trailers to find something that fit the tone I was looking for. Ended up falling asleep instead.

lool. My kind of person. You obviously have an evil lounge like mine.

I think that is is normally the trailers that actually get me first interested in a lot of movies but I could watch a movie without seeing the trailer.