Do you need to watch the trailer before watching the movie?

Tools    

Hey you there!

So I did a quick research and found nothing and i looked around and found nothing again so I hope it's not re-post. And that it is in the right place.

Do you need to watch the trailer before watching the movie? Are you one of those people who need to read the summary, watch the trailer, see who's starring, directing and composing? Or are you one of those people who couldn't care less about the summary and the actors and just goes straight to the movie? Or even the 3rd type, the one who, after seeing the movie goes on to search for trivia and connections between movies?

So, what are you?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I dont NEED to see a trailer but if one is available I will watch it. I dont read professional reviews prior, maybe just a few user reviews on imdb to get a feel, dont take notice of ratings, check which genre and read the blurb but not the synopsis.

It depends.

There are certain actors whose movies I'll watch just because they're in them, and I'll occasionally look them up on IMDb to keep up to date on their future projects. Other movies I decide to watch either on the direct recommendation of other MoFos or after reading praise from MoFos whose opinions I respect. Still others I watch due to an interest in their subject. I also have a definite fondness for animation, so I'm more likely to watch an animated movie that I'm not sure about than I am to watch a live action one that looks iffy. And then occasionally I'll see the trailer for something - either at the theater or I just stumble across it on YouTube - that piques my interest. If I'm really blown away by a film, I'll often want to check out the other works of its stars and director.

Not really, no.

Most of the movies in my watchlist have been suggested to me by someone (maybe on a MoFo list), or else I put them here after hearing a review (I watch a lot of youtube videos about films).

But since they sit in my list for a very long time, I often forget what they are about, so I briefly check the IMDB synopsis before watching them.

It is very rare when I watch a trailer actually. I do, however, feel the need to read a review AFTER watching it, and check a forum (rip IMDB) to know what people have thought about it.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Trailers can be deceiving. Reviews can be deceiving. Ratings can be deceiving.

I usually look at the synopsis of the movie, then the trailer. Only after watching the movie I make my mind.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
rasn, are you asking this for a psychology assignment? Interesting question.

I just read the summary of film and then watch it without seeing the trailer, which at times can be misleading or sometimes contain downright spoilers.

From new films that are coming out, I almost always watch the trailer. I can't hold myself to take a peek, especially with new releases that I'm very excited about. With older films, I just tend to read a very short summary of what the film is about before I start watching it and look at who's involved in the making of the film.

I always read trivia and background information about the film, the content, the actors and the director involved. I also often read a review or two if I thought the film was interesting and if opinions and observations from other people might be able to strengthen my grasp on the material and broaden my understanding of the feelings or thoughts the film evoked.

Not watched a trailer for years, just the bare basics (brief synopsis and genre) is enough prior knowledge for me most of the time unless it's something from a director I like in which case I don't even need those.

Aside movies that are big things among my friends (so we go together) only couple of rules apply
- everything disney/pixar is good by default, I do not need to see any trailers or even know what movie is about.
- Everything s-f or adventure is worth a price of admission, even if movie is crap it will usually have beautiful scenery and visuals.

If a movie do not meet above criteria I need a good trailer to even consider planning my day around going to cinema. I do not have favourite directors/studios and going to cinema sometimes look like planning trip to africa so I really need a good reason for it.

Have you seen Brave?
yup, not my favourite disney movie, but still quite interesting, my disney formula have never let me down. While not always masterpieces (I am looking at you Mulan) their movies are always beautifull, have amazing songs (Princess and the frog, pure greatness) and a distinct feel to them.
And as a sidenote Moana just blew my mind...

yup, not my favourite disney movie, but still quite interesting, my disney formula have never let me down. While not always masterpieces (I am looking at you Mulan) their movies are always beautifull, have amazing songs (Princess and the frog, pure greatness) and a distinct feel to them.
And as a sidenote Moana just blew my mind...
Have you seen The Wild or Chicken Little?

I love Pixar and a lot of Disney - hell there's two Pixars and a Disney in my top ten - but not everything they do is good.

Have you seen The Wild or Chicken Little?

I love Pixar and a lot of Disney - hell there's two Pixars and a Disney in my top ten - but not everything they do is good.
Nope, I have not seen the wild, I doubt it was even in cinemas in my country. And yes, it is not math, I am sure that even Disney stumbles but with their list of masterpieces I am ready to give them benefit of the doubt, I simply trust them enough to go and see their movies without any prior knowledge, I am yet to be disappointed .

Nope, I have not seen the wild, I doubt it was even in cinemas in my country. And yes, it is not math, I am sure that even Disney stumbles but with their list of masterpieces I am ready to give them benefit of the doubt, I simply trust them enough to go and see their movies without any prior knowledge, I am yet to be disappointed .
I usually will watch any animated Disney movie without any prior knowledge as well and will always watch any Pixar movie, but doing that is how I know that they've stumbled and not everything they do is good.

, but doing that is how I know that they've stumbled and not everything they do is good.
Also I probably have lower standards. I am a man of simple needs, give me beautiful, fluent animation a good musical score, two-three singing numbers and a hero to root for and I am golden

I don't NEED to, generally I have a handle on what's coming out and what I will probably skip just based on the general outline, I've found trailers to be really misleading so I'd never bank on a trailer to see something.

That being said, there's some things on the way that I'll watch the trailers for because I WANT to, just hype the excitement a bit. but the trailer view isn't to sway or influence, I'm already sold and waiting in line.

For the most part, yes. There are a couple of actors where I'll probably see it regardless but with so many movies and so few that interest me to begin with these days it's a good way of at least getting a sense of "this could be good". Mind you, these days I often just watch half the trailer to get that sense since they give away so much!

It was the cliche answer "it's all depend" , different situation different attitude - or I feel hybrid regard that. Sometimes I feel the urge to check trailer, most occasion it was when I deciding to ptw something new/cooming soon. The other sometimes is not, couldn't be bothered with that. sometimes just by synopis, sometimes just by checking reputation-who direct-who's the star, sometimes... lot of sometimes tbh