Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Tools    

Tim Burton's version was abysmal... easily one of the lowest rated movies in my catalogue.

As for CGI Joig, I like CGI.... but it's the way filmmakers throw it around most of the time without a second thought to the audience's intelligence by substituting story for flash and bang CGI.

Apes' CGI was good, it was a style choice and worked really well and the movie actually had aa story to back up the effects but most other movies are just a pi$$ take.
Look at The Thing (2011) and Emmerich's movie 2012. Terrible due to the fact that it's all CG plastered over the top of only a handful of practical effects. Some extra practical effects and an actualy script would lift those movies wonderfully.

Tim Burton's version was abysmal... easily one of the lowest rated movies in my catalogue.

As for CGI Joig, I like CGI.... but it's the way filmmakers throw it around most of the time without a second thought to the audience's intelligence by substituting story for flash and bang CGI.

Apes' CGI was good, it was a style choice and worked really well and the movie actually had aa story to back up the effects but most other movies are just a pi$$ take.
Look at The Thing (2011) and Emmerich's movie 2012. Terrible due to the fact that it's all CG plastered over the top of only a handful of practical effects. Some extra practical effects and an actualy script would lift those movies wonderfully.
Yeh Tim Burton's version is just a terrible attempt at a film. I think the original is still my favourite, largely in part for its ending but I do love Rise's fresh new approach that really works and makes it an enjoyable film. I also love the CGI in Rise as I don't feel it's too overpowering and it's largely only used for the purpose of the film's main character using Andy Serkis in a motion capture costume, it's his performance and the CGI used to create the ape that really make the film as good as it is.

New in, Jason Clarke (Zero Dark Thirty) is set to star, but nobody knows in what role yet, no details released.
Andy Serkis is definitely back as Caesar.
The movie is to be set 15 years after Rise...

James Franco is looking doubtful, there's no news he'll be involved at all.

Release date is confirmed as 23rd May 2014.

Zombie Preparedness Expert
Too bad about Franco. Rumors peg the plot to be about a group of scientists trying to survive after the initial plague or infection (as seen at the end of the first film) while Caesar tries to maintain his position as leader of the apes. But it's still early, so we'll see if that story line actually pans out.

ahh, as long as Serkis's there, im still up to it

Rise was a good movie. Really, and I mean really over rated
but I would like the series to continue.

I'm a big James Franco fan so it sucks that he might not be in it although I'm glad Jason Clarke is getting bigger roles. He was really good last year in both Zero Dark Thirty and Lawless.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Personally I'm not all that bothered if Franco doesn't return. And even if I were it would be more than made up for by the fact that Gary Oldman has just been confirmed to join the cast

Director Matt Reeves has clearly been busy in the hive of activity that is the pre-production office for Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, including starting to lock in the cast. We already know that Kodi Smit-McPhee and Jason Clarke are aboard, but the biggest name so far arrived today with news that Gary Oldman has signed on.

The Dark Knight Rises star is set to play a man named Dreyfus, the leader of a human colony struggling to survive in San Francisco.

Set 15 years after the events of Rise, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes finds mankind suffering after the virus spread at the end of the first movie has savaged the population and the ape rebellion led Caesar (Andy Serkis) continues to advance.

Yet there are problems for Caesar too – he’s trying to hold on to order and power within his new simian civilization.

Gary Oldman is so terribly underrated by the Academy. It's a shame a dude so talented gets dumped on so hard.

I'm excited for him to be in Dawn. I saw and enjoyed Rise but I wasn't as blown away by it as other people were. I greatly prefer the original series despite how cheesy they were. I do need to rewatch Rise, though.

I think Gary Oldman should play an older Drexl in it. The character he played from True Romance. lol

Keri Russell, star of Felicity and the upcoming Dark Skies... and the woman at the beginning of Mission: Impossible III who's head got exploded... has joined up as well.

More news.

Judy Greer (Three Kings, What Women Want, The Wedding Planner, The Village and 27 Dresses) is on board as well as Cornelia, the chimp in the first film that Caesar was in love with.

So that makes a line up so far of Andy Serkis, Jason Clarke, Kerri Russell, Gary Oldman and Judy Greer.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Looking forward this movie now. Ime ashamed to say this... But I actually like Burton's film aswel.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I was surprised with how much I enjoyed Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I went in with fairly mild expectations, but it was entertaining filmmaking (for the most part), never getting too excessive with its action as it told a fairly diverting story.

I look forward to this.

Agree, it makes a change for a reboot to actually have a story that makes a reason for the action, rather than just silly action for the sake of it with an excuse note as the first 3/4 of the film.

I rated Rise at 100%, I was well surprised by it.

I know they are reshooting some scenes now , being October. Any news?

They've been filming since April and release date is July 2014.

Filming locations are Campbell River in British Colombia, Vancouver Island for the forest and jungle scenes and New Orleans.