Favorite Weird Movies

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I mentioned this flick a couple of nights ago here. But, you've got more info than I do, since I'll be watching it for the first time tonght. Those Carey quotes should give you an idea of the kind of crazy he was. I mean, loveable crazy.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I liked Small Soldiers too.

The Gods Must Be Crazy was a lovely film from my perspective.

I enjoyed The Wall which many people didn't understand, so they tell me. It seemed pretty straight forward to me.

*shrug*

Most of the movies on this thread I either have no interest in or didn't like much at all.

The Man Who Fell to Earth was okay for me. Joe's Apartment a little less so.

I'm now somewhat interested in, City of Lost Children and,The Cars That Ate Paris (1974).

The City of Lost Children
Donnie Darko
Brazil
Twelve Monkeys
Clockwork Orange
Tommy - the Who Rock opera
Dune original version
Anything by David Lynch
5000 fingers of Dr.T the weirdest movie of all time.

World's Greatest Sinner was written, directed by and stars Timothy Carey. Classic film fans may recognize this odd character actor from roles such as Kubrick's The Killing (1956) and Paths of Glory (1957), Brando's One-Eyed Jacks (1961), Elia Kazan's East of Eden (1955), Cassavetes' The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976) and Minnie and Moskowitz (1971) or any of the dozens and dozens of B-movies and TV guest spots he made over his career that stretched from the 1950s until his death in 1994.
Well, Pike, I too have always enjoyed Carey's performances, although I missed the Rock N Roll film you were plugging. But since you know so much about him, maybe you can enlighten me on something that has always puzzled me. First time I ever saw him, in East of Eden I guess, I thought maybe the guy had broken his jaw and had it wired because when he'd talk he'd never open his mouth and seemed to be gritting his teeth all the time. You could see his lips move, but his mouth hardly opened at all. When he kept doing this in film after film, I finally figured out that must be the real him and not a long-lasting injury. Do you know anything about that?

Also, I seem to remember him in the motorcycle crowd in The Wild One--one of Lee Marvin's gang, I think--maybe the guy in the skunk fur cap? And didn't he play that really weird gunman who kept making sounds like a goat in the Western comedy, Waterhole #3? May just be my imagination but if it weren't him it was some big guy who reminded me of Carey.

Alice in Wonderland
The Conformist
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
After Hours
Death Becomes Her
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Twelve Monkeys
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Kung Fu Hustle
Super

I love all of the love on this list for Southland Tales (2006) and The City of Lost Children (1995).

My list would be:

Black Moon (1975)
The Holy Mountain (1973)
Tideland (2005)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
Suicide Club (2001)
and

The Bed Sitting Room (1969).

Interesting thread...it would have helped if the OP had stated a personal definition of "weird" or "strange" and I see a lot of weird and strange entries here, but I also see a lot of what I would consider just "bad" movies, which is something else, but off the top of my head, these are some movies I would consider "weird/strange":

Donnie Darko
Looker
She-Devil
It's Kind of a Funny Story
Rally Round the Flag Boys
The Anniversary
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
The Majestic
Futureworld
Blue Velvet
In the Cut

Mars Attack
Coneheads
Idle Hands
Addams Family
Galaxy Quest
Evolution
Trick r' Treat
Gremlins
Beetlejuice
The Watch

Mary and Max
The Tree of Life
Duck Soup
The Florida Project
Porco Rosso
Fantastic Planet
Tale of Tales
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Un Chien Andalou
Yellow Submarine

Make a better place
Wristcutters: a Love Story 2006

A good/bad movie, Bad Biology is out there but I wouldn't recommend it even though I kind of liked it, sort of.

I also liked Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Santa Sangre and Visitor Q but they're not....they're weird.

A couple that are a little more mainstream would be The Fisher King and Triangle. Really like both of these.

How exactly is the FP weird?
It's structure first of all. The Florida Project has no central conflict from what I remember, only bits and pieces of character problems and a final story to wrap things up. But the vast majority of it is a "slice-of-life" film.

Also, its portrayal of drugs, sex, and language, through a kid's eyes. Obviously it's not the first and only movie to do that, but I think it does it in a totally unique way.

I suppose a better word for it is unique, but I think it's a very weird too.

It's structure first of all. The Florida Project has no central conflict from what I remember, only bits and pieces of character problems and a final story to wrap things up. But the vast majority of it is a "slice-of-life" film.

Also, its portrayal of drugs, sex, and language, through a kid's eyes. Obviously it's not the first and only movie to do that, but I think it does it in a totally unique way.

I suppose a better word for it is unique, but I think it's a very weird too.
Fair enough. I can't say I found it weird in the slightest. Brilliant film though.

I'd go for:

Uncle Bonmee
Eraserhead
The duke of burgundy
Dogtooth
Antichrist
Upstream colour
Starfish
Buster's Mal Heart

I really need to see:

Holy Motors
Pink Flamingos