Asian Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

Other than Dust in the Wind, Tears of the Black Tiger was the only other film in this HoF that I didn't really connect with. It was my #10. I might need to revisit it sometime, because I feel I might like its quirkiness more in the future.

5th Place

Drunken Angel (1948)
61 points
Edarsenal

"With a performance that secured his longtime working relationship with Director Akira Kurosawa (as usual,) I thoroughly enjoyed Toshirô Mifune as the gangster dying of TB. But, it was, for me, along with Kurosawa's intentions, that this was Takashi Shimura's film as the "Drunken Angel," Dr. Sanada."
Edarsenal

Drunken Angel was pretty low on my list as well at #9. There were aspects of it I really liked, but it left a lot to be desired. I could see a better film in there that I'm sure I would've loved. I still enjoyed it overall though.

4th Place

Daimajin (1966)
67 points
Siddon

"It should be said that almost every shot in this film is well thought out. It's quite remarkable the use of imagery, it's one thing to have a budget it's another thing to take the time to make every shot look good." Siddon

3rd Place

Mother (2009)
76 points
CosmicRunaway

"Mother is a slow moving film that is as much about it's titular character's growing desperation as it is about the murder mystery at its centre. It can be tense and unnerving at times, but as with many of Joon-ho's other films, it still contains the occasional dose of dark humour that is a little more obvious in the first act than later on."
CosmicRunaway

2nd Place

Black Rain (1989)
83 points
Citizen Rules

"We see this young woman relaxing with a hot bath as she enjoys the moment. We see her looking so youthful and serene...then a clump of her hair falls out, and she is left with the realization of her impending future as she stares at strands of own hair held in her hand." Citizen Rules

Tied for 1st place

1st Place

Paprika (2006)
88 points
Rbrayer

"Kon’s talent is so prodigious, it’s staggering to think that we lost such a genius when his career was barely getting started."
Rbrayer

Tied for 1st place
1st Place

Rashomon (1950)
88 points
Allaby

"The film touches upon truth and lies and the nature of humanity. The performances are memorable and effective from the uniformly excellent cast." Allaby

I think it was the numbers that confused me because typically when there's a tie, the next place is one spot lower. So if two films tied for spot #2, the next film would be #4 instead of #3, and so on. Maybe that's just a cultural thing though.

As for the reveal, Paprika was #1 on my list. It's a very unique film that got better each time I revisited it. Rashomon was #5 for me. I really liked it, but as I've already said, I liked a lot of films in this HoF. Here was my final ballot:

01. Paprika (2006)
02. Black Rain (1989)
03. Mother (2009)
04. Daimajin (1966)
05. Rashomon (1950)
06. Chocolate (2008)
07. Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow (1978)
08. Hanagatami (2017)
09. Drunken Angel (1948)
10. Tears of the Black Tiger (2000)
11. Dust in the Wind (1986)

Thanks for hosting, CR! And congrats to Rbrayer and Allaby! Great picks!