Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Naked (1993)

I love miserable characters and dark comedy, and that's this whole movie. The lead is such a fascinating character, quick witted and intelligent, yet hateful and self-destructive. It's hard to feel sympathy towards a person who is sexually abusive towards women, but his behavior obviously stems from somewhere, although it's not made clear exactly from where. He's a character who could be discussed and diagnosed at length, and as despicable as his behavior is, there's another character who I found to be even less redeemable. The contrast of the two men who act out in a similar fashion was pretty interesting, I thought. I found myself rooting for one, and against the other, even though their differences were subtle, if existent at all. The acting, specifically by the lead and his ex-gf, was top notch, and it's most definitely a movie that will stay in my mind. I had heard over the years that this was a very divisive movie, and it is easy to see why.

Wow dude! You nailed it. I'm so happy what you said about Johnny, I feel that's right on the nose, and you said it better than I ever could. Not only do I believe he was possibly sexually abused when he was younger but I think there are hints throughout the film that during the time we are with him, he is close to dying. More than anything, it's his fatalistic attitude towards life. He's a character with real personality and depth and that's what makes him my favorite of all-time. And yes, I think the humor is underrated. It might be bleak and misanthropic, but there are more than a few laughs to be had.

So, so glad you liked it, man.

Oh yea he definitely has problems. It's still no excuse for his behavior, but I at least think he feels some remorse and knows that what he does is wrong.

Oh yea he definitely has problems. It's still no excuse for his behavior, but I at least think he feels some remorse and knows that what he does is wrong.
Again, I agree with this. But I don't think he's meant to be put on a pedestal as a morally righteous figure. He is a character true to the title - as portrayed in the film, he is stripped down to the core of his essence, exposed, dirt and all.

Sonar Kella/ The Golden Fortress (1974) - Satyajit Ray

Been completely down with viral fever for almost weeks now...slowly regaining strength to sit and more importantly concentrate on films again....decided to watch some old time favorites to begin with, to kind of get into the groove again...this has been always a favorite and with each viewing it got better, including the latest. A wonderfully crafted suspense, a beauty to watch.

8.5 out of 10

Joy Baba Felunath/ The Elephant God (1979) - Satyajit Ray

Another long time favorite, another gripping suspense...so thoroughly enjoyable...my only criticism is that Mr. Ray could have used those zoom ins and outs a little less...

8.5 out of 10

Aranyer Din Ratri/ Days and Nights in the Forest (1970) - Satyajit Ray

Most layered, intelligent and matured piece of cinema if there ever was one...

10 out of 10

Can't wait for when I finally watch this. Swan has been wanting me to for ages and it looks like something I'd really like. My brother watched some of it on the TV a while ago but stopped as he was really enjoying it and thought it was something we'd both like and should watch together,to discuss.

Master of My Domain
Naked is great film, an easy
+ for me. David Thewlis' performance was on a once every 20 years level.

Care for some gopher?
Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (I/E/D/USA, 1966, Sergio Leone) -

Army of Shadows (1969)

My fourth Melville film, this one a political thriller type, which is a kind of film I have trouble following and struggle with. It's extremely well done with some exciting and tense scenes, and most likely much better than I'm rating it, probably a great film.

Army of Shadows (1969)

My fourth Melville film, this one a political thriller type, which is a kind of film I have trouble following and struggle with. It's extremely well done with some exciting and tense scenes, and most likely much better than I'm rating it, probably a great film.

I enjoyed it (gave it a
, but I admit I prefer Melville's crime movies more.