Better remakes than original or highly regarded remakes

Tools    

The name pretty much says it all, I think the remake of the war of the worlds is a good one, not better than orginal but does it some justice.

For me, The Ring and Amityville Horror when it comes to horror movies. I thought the remakes were great.
Diffenatly, a lot of horror movie remakes are good, I know I would be down trodden for this but I did like the remake of Halloween (not number 2 remake) I do own the original series but I thought this did ok.

Freaky Friday

I haven't seen Ringu, but I find it difficult to believe that it could be better than The Ring.

And, having seen both, I feel quite confident that The Departed is an improvement on Infernal Affairs.

Granted, in both instances you have to give more credit to the film that originated each idea, but I'm putting originality aside and assuming you're viewing each remake as standalone and without any knowledge of the original.

Semper Fooey
The 1938 Dawn Patrol is far better than the 1930 one and the first was directed by Howard Hawks.

I don't know if it qualifies as a remake, but Cabaret is superior to I am a Camera, which has the same literary source.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I haven't seen Ringu, but I find it difficult to believe that it could be better than The Ring.

And, having seen both, I feel quite confident that The Departed is an improvement on Infernal Affairs.

Granted, in both instances you have to give more credit to the film that originated each idea, but I'm putting originality aside and assuming you're viewing each remake as standalone and without any knowledge of the original.

I do like Ringu, but I like The Ring even better.

The Dawn Of The Dead remake isn't as good, IMO, as the original, but it is highly regarded and one of the few great remakes. I agree with Freaky Friday, too. I'd think that a lot of people would prefer the original Gaslight, too, though I'm not one of them.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I could always mention one of the King Kongs and throw everything into a tizzy. Plays can often be better in different reincarnations, but then somehow people feel reticent to call them movie "remakes". I don't know why. If the film was based on a book, they'd call it a remake. Is it just Shakespeare and the Greeks or what? I'm not going to count the dozens of obscure, short and lost silent films of every classic novel.

Obviously the 1941 version of The Maltese Falcon is the best remake ever made. That is, if you don't count King Kong...

Ringu was a great movie, so was The Ring.. But somehow I find Ringu more scarier.

The Dawn of th Dead remake could have been great if they had not tampered with Rigor Mortis mythology of the zombies.

Well to be fair, he was only quickly typing half-hearted nonsense until he got his post count up high enough to drop his SPAM bombs all over the joint. Clearly no reasonable soul could make such an assertion.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm pretty sure we have some reasonable souls here who agree with the Spammer Banner, but everybody should watch all movies with an open heart. That includes actually watching them until they're finished.

The remake from the Cartoon Lord Of The Rings to the Peter Jackson Trilogy would blow that out of the water.
I was just about to say the same thing

I think The Departed is pretty great. I also enjoyed the new Parent Trap much more than the original.

I think the last scene in Ringu has somewhat more of a tense scene (well scene) but overall I think The Ring adapted the better storyline.