The Simpsons Movie

→ in
Tools    

Here's my review. Can't recommend this one enough to anyone who's ever enjoyed the series.

The Simpsons Movie

They nailed it.

Fans of The Simpsons have been hearing rumors of a movie based on the series since the mid-90s. But with each passing season the importance of doing the series justice grew, and the film spent the better part of a decade in development hell. After almost fifteen years of rumors and false starts, Matt Groening and ten other writers have produced a film worthy of the franchise.

The story -- which, as any Simpsons fan knows, is not especially important -- concerns the growing pollution in Lake Springfield. Homer pushes it past the point of no return with a silo full of pig excrement.

Enter the Environmental Protection Agency, whose funding has apparently quadrupled somewhere between the real world and the film's story. Their solution is to cover all of Springfield in a giant plastic dome. It goes without saying that the town quickly devolves into chaos, and that its inhabitants are none too happy with Homer.

Though plotlines on The Simpsons are never anything more than a framework for the jokes, the film's story holds together nicely. It is equal parts absurd and epic, and allows for a number of elegant cameos and references to the series' more memorable moments. It will make perfect sense to someone new to the universe, but still has plenty of visual easter eggs for the devout Simpsonsite to enjoy.

The voice acting is predictably brilliant, and the animation manages to look crisper and fuller than usual without losing any of its crude charm.

The most striking thing about The Simpsons Movie, however, is how edgy it is compared to the series. Freed from the constraints of network television, Groening and Co. use the bit of extra leeway that a PG-13 rating provides to push the envelope further than they have in years. Everything about the production oozes confidence. The jokes are more biting, and the satire is more fearless.

Fans can be forgiven for feeling that The Simpsons has dulled a bit over the last few seasons. When the show premiered, it was smarter and more irreverent than anything else on television. These days, the emergence of quasi-knockoffs such as Family Guy have diluted our sensitivities to crazed antics by placing a higher premium on edginess than comedy--they're all edge and no point.

The Simpsons Movie, however, walks that delicate line between absurdity and stupidity which has always been the hallmark of the franchise, and proves that there's still no replicating its unique brand of comedy.

As smart as it is ridiculous, The Simpsons Movie was a long time in the making, but well worth the wait. One of the best television shows in history has become one of the best comedies of 2007.

A system of cells interlinked
Great review. Your writing is top notch these days...

Thanks!

Just came back from seeing the Simpsons. It was better than I thought it would be. It was kinda like watching a tv episode, except that this is much more well-thought out than a regular tv episode. The audience seemed to really enjoy it as there lots of laughter throughout the show and then lots of clapping at the end.

Great review. Your writing is top notch these days...
I agree. Magnifique.

I will unfortunately have to wait until Sunday morning b4 I see Simpsons. I will survive until then, though, I think...

That was a great review, Chris. Thanks for writing it. I'm planning to see it tomorrow.

When I was a child I thought a dome around the whole world would protect us from Global Warming ahahahaha isn't that so funny!

Great review Chris! Thanks for sharing...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I was kind of disappointed with The Simpsons Movie. It wasn't a bad film, some very funny bits, but I couldn't help thinking they could have done more with a movie than what is basically an extended episode with the by now familiar 'Homer is a bad husband/father but redeems himself through suitably madcap antics' plot. Ok, so the Simpsons isn't really about the plot, but in that case, they could have gone a bit more off the wall, imo. There were lots of great characters from the series that didn't really get a look in, which I thought was a shame. I think if I'd seen it on tv I might have liked it better, but it cost me about Ł1 for every ten minutes, and I don't feel I got my money's worth...

stay in the movie
this movie must be good, went to 3 theaters, all of which were sold out for the last 2 showtimes.

BANNED (PLANT)
Want to see this, even more so having read this review!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
this movie must be good, went to 3 theaters, all of which were sold out for the last 2 showtimes.
Slightly o/t, but I really don't think this means it is necessarily a good movie. New movies, especially kid-rated ones are often full, regardless of quality. If it is still sold out after it has been out for a couple of weeks, maybe that will mean something.

Still don't think it is a great movie, but I can't get 'Spiderpig' out of my head...

You're right in that sellouts don't tell us whether or not it's good; but no film in wide release sells out after several weeks without some bizarre mitigating circumstances, either. Anyway, word of mouth is strong, and Rotten Tomatoes has it at 88%.

Still don't think it is a great movie, but I can't get 'Spiderpig' out of my head...
No joke: I want to buy the soundtrack. Love the choir singing it over the credits.

Haven't seen it yet, but still think it's great. Love Simpsons. D'OH!

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
i havent seen it since before... maybe this time i will watch it in theater because all my friends told me that it was a nice one

Good review, but I won't see The Simpson's movie in theatres, it is more of a film for the netflix queue.

can't wait to see it. i got tickets for this weekend!!