Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer

→ in
Tools    

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
hi guys have you seen the latest fantastic four? what did you expect in this movie? is it a nice movie compared to the last one? i havent seen it yet because im a bit busy right now.

I caught it the other night and I thought it was even worse than the first. It was so predictable and boring and backed with all lots of bad acting. Not to mention how there were plenty of small mistakes regarding their powers and they changed the way the Silver Surfer's powers work basically making him a wimp.

Other than that the chase between the Human Torch and Silver Surfer certainly looks great as does the final battle at the end.

Wasn't a huge fan of the first but I didn't think it was as bad as everyone said but I can't defend this installment, it just wasn't too enjoyable

Beware The Probe!
Just saw it and I loved it!
Better than the first one (and I liked that one alot too).

I was a little worried about Galactus being a big space-cloud at first but it was cool to see his face in the cloud at the end. I would have have liked for it to have been clearer so those who may be watching the movie who never saw the comic would know what they were seeing. The cloud definately did work more than having a big guy in a head-dress and purple skirt terrorize us with his fashion sense though.

I do believe that the 'real Galactus' was indeed inside that cloud but Galactus is a far too powerful a being for any one movie to correctly portray. As an escape to a sweet popcorn flick of Marvel enjoyment, the movie rocked.

Doom, Doom, Doom...
What am I gonna do with you...?
I do kinda like Julain McMahon playing Victor Von Doom mostly because I was a HUGE fan of his 'Balthazar' character in the series, Charmed.
My one gripe with his Doom is his way too soft-spoken voice of Doom.
I'm sorry, but Dr. Doom has a certain style of 'voice in my head' and that's not it.
I hated how the general was so lamely portrayed as to favor Doom over Reed's team. He locks the F-4 up and allows Doom free access to the most powerful weapon in the galaxy? Hello...? His name is 'DOOM'!

Carol Danvers should have been used as the military girl over Frankie Raye. With it being Raye, I almost expected to see Galactus return at the end and grab her creating Nova while saying something about needing a new herald but no such luck.

There's no way Surfer could destroy Galactus so I'm gonna assume he somehow used his power cosmic to send big-G to another place or realm or something even though I doubt we'll ever see him in another movie again. Newcomers to the Marvel Movie Universe can think he's dead but any real fanboys will know he ain't really gone. Surfer just isn't THAT powerful.

Die-hard comic book fans do have to make their own assumptions in order to explain certain things in the movie. If the Surfer really tried, maybe...just MAYBE... this version of him COULD vanquish Galactus if only temporarily IF he caught the Devourer of Worlds off-guard.
The 'real' surfer could do it too... if it served Galactus' plans.

Was cool to see Jonny go Super-Skrull on Cosmic-Doom. But now with Victor on the bottom of the ocean, I would assume he wouldn't have a defence against drowning since a metal body can't swim. I wonder who we'd get as a villain if there's a third film? I'm thinking Mole Man.

The best line in the movie definately had to be Jonny asking Ben how he and Alicia 'get busy'.
"I just don't wanna wake up and find out she's been killed in a rockslide." LMAO
Jonny and Ben are fan-freakin-tastic and awesome to watch.
When Jonny was opening up to Ben about it being nice to have someone, I was actually hoping Jonny would have given Ben some time alone with Alicia by doing the 'power-switch' with him and a human Ben running to his girl for a couple hours with no worries of any possible 'rockslides'.

And I don't care who says they hate Jessica Alba as Sue...
She's hot.
That's all that matters. :-*

Now...
My biggest gripe against EVERY Marvel movie made today...

WHY NOT AT LEAST MENTION OTHER MARVEL CHARACTERS DURING WORLD-SHATTERING EVENTS???

Let's at least let them read a Daily Bugle with a "photograps by Peter Parker" somewhere in view.
Something on the TV about strange goings ons at the Xavier School for the Gifted would be nice.
How about a news story on a Green Goliath causing mayhem somewhere so we know Hulk is definately smashing something somewhere?
Maybe a shot of a flaming skulled biker riding up the side of a building somewhere or a guy in black with a white skull painted on his T-shirt wasting some bad guys.

They should be adding these kind of aspects in EVERY Marvel movie that comes out wether they be cameos of the actual actors or CGI background filler just so we know this is happening in the same world.

I'm hoping that it's only a matter of time before someone realizes that a "Marvel Universe" movie might be an unbelievable cool idea.

I think it is a good movie, I haven't watched it but I saw the trailer and it rocks

What also annoyed me about the movie was just how quickly Silver Surfer decided to switch sides and try and save earth from Galactus (I would put spoilers but honestly who is going into this not knowing that was bound to happen)

Surfer helped Galactus destroy a lot of worlds and he did it without question so it is kind of unbelievable after a brief conversation with Sue Storm he would completely change his attitude and sacrifice his own life to save people who have done nothing for him aside from trying to capture and kill him.

As far as the mistakes go last time I checked aside from his fantastic 4 uniform Reed's clothes shouldn't stretch with him while that happened plenty of times in the movie.

It was completely ridiculous after the Johnny/surfer chase when the surfer grabs him by the neck and carries him up to space says something to him then drops him back down to earth. From what I have learned space doesn't work like that and Johnny would have died one second up there let alone be awake enough to listen to talking then fall back onto a planet and survive.

And if Johnny got the ability to switch powers with the other 3 how come at the end when they all touched he gained their powers and kept his own? wouldn't he have at least lost his own power while he had all the other powers?

Those are the main that I have problems with but there were tons I noticed while watching

What also annoyed me about the movie was just how quickly Silver Surfer decided to switch sides and try and save earth from Galactus (I would put spoilers but honestly who is going into this not knowing that was bound to happen)

Surfer helped Galactus destroy a lot of worlds and he did it without question so it is kind of unbelievable after a brief conversation with Sue Storm he would completely change his attitude and sacrifice his own life to save people who have done nothing for him aside from trying to capture and kill him.
He did say he was doing what he was to save his on world, his own "someone", and that she reminded him of her. Plus we are Earthlings and no other race could have such good looking women.

Beware The Probe!
He did say he was doing what he was to save his on world, his own "someone", and that she reminded him of her. Plus we are Earthlings and no other race could have such good looking women.
Plus Sue did 'take a bullet' for him so to speak.
The fact that she would sacrifice her own life made him decide to help these people.

The suddenness of Surfer's betrayal of Galactus really isn't that much different than how it went down in the comics all those years ago only it was Alecia who convinced him:

From the Marvel Database
The Surfer served Galactus well for many years, enjoying exploring the wonders of the universe; however, it became increasingly difficult for Radd to find energy-rich worlds devoid of sentient life. Over time, Galactus subtly altered the Surfer's mind, submerging Radd's emotions and repressing past memories. As a result, the Surfer became much more willing to lead Galactus to inhabited worlds, such as Earth. Locating Earth despite Uatu the Watcher's covert attempts to ward him off, the Surfer caused widespread panic and fought the Fantastic Four. During this conflict, the Surfer met blind sculptress Alicia Masters, who sensed his inner nobility and pleaded with him to spare humanity. His long-dormant emotions stirred by Alicia's beauty and spirit, the Surfer turned on Galactus and helped fight him off long enough for Uatu and the Fantastic Four to secure the Ultimate Nullifier, a cosmic doomsday weapon which forced Galactus to withdraw; however, Galactus punished the Surfer by trapping him on Earth, erecting an energy barrier around the planet that was uniquely attuned to the Surfer.

I've seen the movie and its pretty cool but thats not how I imagined the silver surfer dies

I've seen the movie and its pretty cool but thats not how I imagined the silver surfer dies
WARNING: "Ending of Fantastic Four" spoilers below
Right at the very end it showed him just drifting in space giving us the impression he will get out of that situation with his power source (surfboard) right next to him. He didn't die.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
i havent seen it yet waaaaaaaaaaa im so bc right now. maybe i will watch it on dvd

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHOOOOOOP WHOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes when a comic hero/villain dies they really do not die.

They already have been talking about a spin-off movie for the Surfer.

He's not dead.
Yeah well, it was obvious they were gonna cash in on the star of the film. And lets be honest, kids. The star of the show really was The Silver Surfer. The effects for his was decent and was easily the more interesting character in the film.

This film is MUCH more better than the first one. The one thing the film improved on was taking out the unintentional campness of the first and making it a bit more grounded. It's still not a great film, but I wouldn't' give it one star like I gave to the first one. I give this one about **1/2, which is fair considering that the special effects outshined EVERYTHING else in the production of this movie.

The dodgiest thing about the Fantastic Four movies is that the characters aren't really worth caring about. It's hard to care about mutants that are rich arse doctors and modestly call themselves 'Mr Fantastic'. Anyways, it's an enjoyable film in parts, but it's quite poor when the surfer isn't in action.

BANNED
me too i've never seen yet, but as i effected it was a continue of journey of the four amazing super hero's.. but it will great be if they made another movie that they battled against Galactus.. what do you think it would be great movie? he..

My score

6/10

Unless you're 8 years old, or a huge comic buff, you'll leave the theater unsatisfied.

Not to say that it isn't a well put together film, but it's predictable, fails at being humorous, and after the first half hour, you find yourself looking at your watch repeatedly, just waiting for the good guys to win, since you know what's coming. I wouldn't consider this a snoozer, but you might find yourself slowing drifting after the first hour and 30 minutes. And trust me, it feels like MUCH longer.

Like I mentioned, this is indeed a kids movie. I knew that going into it, but I at least expected some excitement or suspense. The only excitement I got, was during the special affects, or where Alba's clothes fall off.

Credit to: Jessica Alba. If it wasn't for her, I would have been gone 20 minutes in.

Silver Surfer. Great character, one of the few strong aspects of this film.

Special affects: I must admit, there are a few crazy scenes. These kept me awake.

Dislikes:

Ioan Gruffudd. Also known as Mr.Fantastic. I just wasn't buying his character. Maybe I was just jealous to the fact that he was marrying Jessica Alba. Regardless, his acting was still sub-par.

Predictability. Kids movies tend to be predictable, but the one crazy twist they threw in, I saw coming 30 minutes in. And trust me, you will too.

Humor, or lack of : The only people that were laughing, were the 8 year olds, and the 2 ladies behind you that laugh at every scene of the movie. I didn't chuckle once.

LOL, yesterday someone told me at our local theater, on the big LED sign with all the showtimes, this movie is listed as:

FANTASTIC 4: RISE OF THE SS

this one wasn't that good.

i thought it was childish ... anyway for people who haven tseen it yet you can watch it for free here : umoviez. com/showthread.php?t=1450

Well, to tell you the truth, I was pretty much disappointed. Even bored. They simply didn't make it interesting enough.
I personally think that they shouldn't have had made the sequel on Silver Surfer. Because Silver Surfer is the type of character that doesn't say much in the movie. His job is a silent one and that takes a lot of interest out of the movie.
Although I do have to say, they really did a great job on the graphics part on making Silver Surfer. Looked pretty real and glamorous.
Movie lacked depth if you ask me. There were not a lot of surprises in the movie. Hey they didn't even show galactus in the end. And if Silver Surfer could destroy him so easily at the end of the movie, why didn't he ever think of destroying him earlier ever? lol
One more thing about Silver Surfer, he's not at all powerless without his board. He can still do a lot of things without it, in the marvel comics. They just used this one to make the plot a bit more easier to handle. Which again isn't the trait of a good movie.
Anyhooo.. hope they do a better job nex time. If it's ever there.

BANNED
i hate the weaknesses of silver surfer, he worthless if his board is out of his feet.. cheers