The MoFo Beard Club

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Unpopular opinion: full beards are for men who are too scared to rock handle bar mustaches and mutton chops.

"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Even my man Paul did not look nice with a beard.

I got another male hair question that I just now realized. When women go to the hair salon for a haircut, we get our hair washed there first. Would I be right in saying that men do not get their hair washed at a barber shop? They just get a haircut?

I got another male hair question that I just now realized. When women go to the hair salon for a haircut, we get our hair washed there first. Would I be right in saying that men do not get their hair washed at a barber shop? They just get a haircut?

Yep.
In, cut, out.
Have a shower at home to get the itchy stuff off your back and neck.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Mostly yeah. The places I go to are usually just a quick in and out. I could pay extra for the washing but I'm usually just chasing a trim. I will say that if I go to a proper salon or "stylist" then the wash is part of the service but the price already reflects that too.

Oh. They usually spritz my hair with water to straighten it but that's quick to dry as my hair is short. When I was young I had long hair (and more of it). They would wash that. Probably easier to manage longer hair wet and maybe to get any chemical product out that could make it more difficult to handle. Not sure men (in general) want to feel pampered either!

Yep.
In, cut, out.
Have a shower at home to get the itchy stuff off your back and neck.
Funny the things one thinks about. Never realized this until today. And no woman would ever have a haircut without a hair wash first.

Mostly yeah. The places I go to are usually just a quick in and out. I could pay extra for the washing but I'm usually just chasing a trim. I will say that if I go to a proper salon or "stylist" then the wash is part of the service but the price already reflects that too.
When I used to daily walk past a local barber (sadly closed now) it occurred to me that men get a haircut or a trim or whatever more frequently than women do. Can’t explain properly what I mean, but it seems to me that men stay on top of a haircut more than women do.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I think it's more obvious the shorter it is that its time to trim. Like lines over the ear and back neck. It only takes a week or so for that to grow out and start curling or creating small cow-licks.

The guy who cuts my hair usually offers to wash it after because of all the loose hairs and how itchy it'll get. More likely if we're not in a rush or if more was cut than usual, as well. That's after, though. I usually just shower a few hours before I come in.

This is kinda deliberate, since my hair's very thick and wavy and if he cuts it wet it'll look totally different when it tries, so it makes sense to cut it dry.

⬆️ Interesting. No woman would ever have her hair cut dry.

Should I assume that most men have never had their hair blow-dried?

Women have 17 different types of shampoo just for dandruff.

Men would use car shampoo if they could.

What, like with a hair dryer? Or something more elaborate like those giant circles they put over you? I've done the former.

I think it's mostly about hair type/length. It'd make sense to wet my hair before it was cut if it naturally laid flat or was long enough, but given that it's thick and short, if it's cut wet it'll look totally different once it dries.

I discovered this after years and years of getting my hair cut at cheap places and just assuming I'd never be happy with it. Then we went to some place nicer, I explained the weird quirks of my head, and the guy said he'd cut it dry. Boom. Better ever since.

⬆️ What I meant was if most men get their hair cut dry, should I assume that most men have not had their hair blow-dried with a hair dryer?

I discovered this after years and years of getting my hair cut at cheap places and just assuming I'd never be happy with it. Then we went to some place nicer, I explained the weird quirks of my head, and the guy said he'd cut it dry. Boom. Better ever since.

It's those huge green ears that get in the way.

As far as wet or dry, blow dried or otherwise I have done it all. When my hair is longer I use a blow dryer occasionally, but I almost always get my hair cut slightly damp. It really depends on type of hair and length from what I am told by a barber friend. When I was in the military it was pretty straight forward - I got a flat top usually and it was never long enough to matter either way.

⬆️ What I meant was if most men get their hair cut dry, should I assume that most men have not had their hair blow-dried with a hair dryer?
I wouldn't think so. Doesn't most hair dryer use happen at home, anyway? We have one. Wife probably uses it a lot more than I do, but I've used it occasionally.

Women always get their hair blown dry at the salon with a hair dryer. Obviously I’m only talking about white women. Black hair is a whole other thing.

That's the difference between a "stylist" and a "barber."
Yes, men don't get their hair washed at a barbershop, but if you go to any unisex stylist they wash your hair and blowdry it.