Coronavirus

Tools    

Yeah, staying at home and distancing is the best. But in grocery stores and what not there's still a lot of people, hence I wear a face mask.
You're doing your part, Rules. And me? Well...

My wife gave me this to wear for shopping yesterday-

It seemed to do the trick but it is not comfortable.

Then in the evening I had to pick up a sample at a hospital. I wore a surgical mask that was given to me a couple weeks ago at another hospital. This hospital was kind of locked down like the rest and I couldn't find anybody so I couldn't find what I was looking for. It was warm in there and after 10-15 minutes my face started to sweat with the mask on. I finally found the room and she took my temperature to come in. It was a 99 which isn't supposed to be alarming but it's not what I wanted to hear. However I wonder if it was because I was all hot and bothered with that mask on. With everything the health professionals have to go through a simple thing like wearing a mask is miserable. I can't even take 15 minutes. God bless all of them.

Saw this on FB so some of you might have seen it already. It is kinda funny at first, but people down here seriously need to get with the program.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Saw this on FB so some of you might have seen it already. It is kinda funny at first, but people down here seriously need to get with the program.

Our local streets here in our small town (outside Pittsburgh) are somewhere between Atlanta and Panama City. Still more cars out there than I would like, even with a stay-at-home order. Just hoping they're all people doing necessary business. Like hubby, who works at the nuclear power plant. Last I heard, though, places like Home Depot were still packed with people. (He had to go there yesterday to pick up supplies to fix a sudden roof leak that developed after a bad rain last weekend.)

He did, though, manage to bring these home, so it's a start, at least:

New York deaths slowing, according to Cuomo:

The number of deaths over the past few days has been dropping “for the first time," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said today during a press conference.

The significance of that is “too early to tell” he added.

Cuomo added that ICU admissions are also down, daily intubations are down “slightly” and the hospital discharge rate is “way up” and that’s “great news.”

He said there is a "shift to Long Island" adding "upstate New York is basically flat… as Long Island grows the percentage of cases in NYC has reduced."

The total number of intubations are down across the state, Cuomo said.

As of April 4, there were about 316 people intubated in the hospital, that number is down from 351 reported the day before.
To be clear, this is more "we might have peaked" and not "things are over." And New York got it worse, so a lot of places around the country probably still have that ramp-up in front of them.

Feels like a lot of things are pointing to the next two weeks getting worse in terms of health care burden, deaths, and infections, but that the initial peak might be over by the time April is. That's something, at least.

Account terminated on request
It was a 99 which isn't supposed to be alarming but it's not what I wanted to hear.
Zeeeeeeeeeero issue with a 99°. Compared to the textbook 98.6°? If you asked her to take your temp again, it could have been above or below that, and the human body gets warmer and colder all the time. It tries to regulate that with sweat and shivering, but it still wanders up and down slightly.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Yeah, seconded re: temperature. They're saying you shouldn't even treat it as a fever unless you're breaking 100. Depends on time of day, too, and I read something awhile back about how 98.6 isn't even really the average any more (when I was growing up it was sold as the temperature, with anything else being off or wrong somehow).

Worth monitoring, though.

You ready? You look ready.
I typically run 96.4 F in fall/winter for what it’s worth, so a 99.6+ is the start of where I’d start claiming fever temps for myself. But in the summer I run a toasty 98.6 and 99 is just heat exhaustion.

I’ve tracked my temp several times in my life and always found the above to be true.

I’m pretty sure that means I’m a reptile, so be careful.

Well, the whole issue over if Dr Drew was right or wrong in his assessment that the coronavirus wasn't any more dangerous than the common flu...has been resolved. He admitted he was wrong.

Dr. Drew apologizes, was 'wrong' about coronavirus threat

Some highlight from the above news link:
Dr. Drew Pinsky is issuing a mea culpa after continually downplaying the danger of coronavirus for months and claiming it was "press-induced panic." He once said you're more likely to die after being "hit by an asteroid" than the highly-contagious virus.

"My early comments about equating coronavirus with influenza were wrong. They were incorrect," Dr. Drew said on Saturday, referring to his consistent comments from February and March. "I was part of a chorus that was saying that, and we were wrong. And I want to apologize for that."
Dr Drew is nothing but a media hound spin doctor using his medical credentials to stick his stethoscope into the arena of politics. At least he was right about one thing, he was part of a chorus that was saying there was no real threat from the virus, and that all came initially from the Trump administration who repeatedly downplayed the threat in the early part of the pandemic. Link

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Tom Dempsey

“How 'bout you try kickin' a 63-yard field goal to win it with 2 seconds left -- an' yer wearin' a square shoe. Oh, yeah, and no toes, either."

The Adventure Starts Here!
Also, if you're taking your temperature under your tongue, they tell you not to do it right after having a cold or hot drink. Make sure the inside of your mouth is its normal temperature and not changed by anything you just drank.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Lee Fierro

Several decades after the release of Jaws (1975), Lee Fierro, who played Mrs. Kintner, walked into a seafood restaurant and noticed that the menu had an "Alex Kintner Sandwich." She commented that she had played his mother so many years ago; the owner of the restaurant ran out to meet her, and he was none other than Jeffrey Voorhees, who had played her son. They had not seen each other since the original movie shoot.

From IMDb

Yeah, and the N95 mask is even worse. I also can’t imagine wearing one for a whole work shift. It’s like breathing through a straw.
I wore a carpenter's dust mask to the store yesterday.

It wasn't so bad except I wear glasses... and anyone who wears glasses knows where this is going...

Your breath comes up from the mask under your glasses and fogs them up.
So I couldn't see very well, but otherwise it wasn't too uncomfortable.

A big factor is heat - I've worn them in the dog days of summer and that's when they're really uncomfortable.

I kept trying to adjust the little nose clip to try to cut down on the eye glass fogging.

@Loner ... what are your last two posts supposed to mean in terms of the Coronavirus? Me confused.
They're people who've died from Covid19.

Just found out my best friend's brother has it. Thankfully he's fairly young and otherwise healthy and seems to be on the mend after some pretty nasty fevers.