'Superman Returns' Teaser Trailer is here!

Tools    

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
Is this a different trailer than the one jrs put out? It's gonna take me like 30 minutes to download it and I dont want to If it is the same.

There's treachery afoot!!!
Its not the same one that JRS posted awhile ago, if I remember right that one was a fan-made trailer. This new one is the official version and it was awesome.

In the Beginning...
You can also find it here:

http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/trailer.html

After watching the trailer, I'm a little more hopeful - but I still have my doubts.

One thing, I don't care for the music. It's too reminiscent of the older Superman theme (not that it wasn't nice, it's just dated). It also sounds like a Star Trek theme, circa 1990.

I do like some of the shots in the trailer, particularly the one with everyone looking up into the sky. But I'm sorry, it's going to take quite a bit of movie magic to make me believe that Brandon Routh is the Man of Steel. I mean, I feel like I could probably take him, and that's not right.

A system of cells interlinked
Oh, that was the old Superman music, from Superman II, to be exact. I was totally psyched to hear it, and it made me want to reach for my Superman I DVD (all I own at the mo). I am a massive Bryan Singer fan, and have gotten used to seeing Routh as Supes, so I am all about seeing this film! I can't wait!

Looking at pictures of Routh he looks like he would play a better Clark Kent than he would Superman. I am a huge DC comics fan and he better do my favorite hero justice. As for the teaser trailer I got to see it at Harry Potter and Walk the Line today and Brando's voiceover was spectacular and I can say that I am really getting amped to catch this flick.

Lets put a smile on that block
I really really dig this new trailer. The music was spot on, not too much of the power drums from the old theme, but just enough to get the mood. And i agree, Brando's voice over is superb. Routh as Supes looks great i think. Even as Clark he's resembelance to Reeves in the 2nd film (from which this film will continue from) is excellent.

I agree Seds, love Bryan Singer, I love it how he really knows how to get his audience going. We could have been given a trailer sequencing a whole load of snippets of action sequences ala Fantastic Four or War of the Worlds, but instead we get a more thoughtful trailer of what Supes is really all about...

"They could be a great people Cal El, they really wish to be...They only lack the light to show the way...

Love it.

Originally Posted by Wonder Boy
Its not the same one that JRS posted awhile ago, if I remember right that one was a fan-made trailer. This new one is the official version and it was awesome.
Ok cool. Looking forward to seeing it now.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Why is Obi Wan Kenobi narrating over the trailer? I mean, he does a good job but a strange choice?

District B13
Originally Posted by Sleezy
Grant Morrison shrunk the team, and gave each character a singular, unique personality. For the first time, I felt like these were real people, and not superheroes with stuttering dialogue. Beast, being the topic of discussion, started to show his feelings about his condition - his insecurities, his weaknesses. Morrison began to challenge him finally, not just with trying to find a cure or something, but with real issues that he couldn't do anything about. When a writer does that, the characters suddenly have a real, human (or mutant) purpose. While before Beast was the go-to scientist to destroy the somethingorother virus (which is the dramatic equivalent of turning on a light when it's dark), now Beast does things for his X-mates because he WANTS to, because he CHOOSES to, because he possesses a personality that makes that possible.
Grant Morrison's E for Extinction was fantastic for the X-men, and especially for beast. However, Beast's best work (an opinion shared by all of his fans) was his avengers/uncanny days when he was transformed into the digressive blue species. The shots of beast seem to be the still simple cliche of the intensely smart and laughing yet menacingly looking humble creature. However, we slowly see the development of someone that was needed and someone that was complex and self conscious and almost unfairly brutalized for his existence.

Grant Morrison essentially took what we knew about beast and put it in the star role. Several fans of beast were kind of sick at the patronization that Beast went through in the comic books, however, and many more were quite angry.

The bottomline is that New X-men was nice, an addition to Beast's library. But it is not his defining moment in comics, nor his most popular. Beast's apperance wasn't forced by these comic books,not in the least.

If you would like to correct your ignorance on beast, check out the uncanny x-men or x-force days. Beast being an important character with multiple angles is provided in these comic series. E for Extinction was just harping on the fact.

I still do not know one beast fan to this day that quotes E for Extinction as the best work done on beast in terms of his development as a character. It will reach the top ten, but never the top, because it is just what we already knew condensed into smaller versions of the beast.

Beast as a Major character happened much earlier than 2001, but I'm sure you've only been reading comics in the 90s, when he was neglected, so an uninformed opinion such as yours would be acceptable. But it should also be correctable. go back to the 70s for the best of beast.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
Grant Morrison's E for Extinction was fantastic for the X-men, and especially for beast. However, Beast's best work (an opinion shared by all of his fans) was his avengers/uncanny days when he was transformed into the digressive blue species.
Can you point me to whatever you read stating that every Beast fan agrees with you?

The shots of beast seem to be the still simple cliche of the intensely smart and laughing yet menacingly looking humble creature. However, we slowly see the development of someone that was needed and someone that was complex and self conscious and almost unfairly brutalized for his existence.
I remember that the character development was superficial at best.

Back to the topic...

District B13
Beast's persona, especially where he chooses Apocalypse as his rival before they even did battle, is his most telling attribute.

But Morrison's E for Extinction did not "force" beast upon Singer. That statement is absurd.

A system of cells interlinked
Morrison's X-men work was an evoltuion that made me change my mind about much of the older stuff. I can;t really take the 80s stuff seriously anymore now. Terrible dialogue, poorly drawn personality... Same with a lot of the overblown early 90s stuff, which just had terrible scripts, but had some good artists involved. I quit reading oin the early 90s, because the X-men stuff was such tripe. I read E is for Extinction and got back into reading X-men again. Hell, I have the entire "X-men" run, up through Whedon's excellent run, and I would sell issues 1-113 in a heatbeat if there wasn't some good art interspersed throughout.

As for definitive, there are no definitive comic stories, dammit. Didn't we already discuss this with Batman?

Anyway...back to Superman

District B13
Originally Posted by Sleezy
Yep. Good thing I never said that.
Well then we are arguing over different things.

This statement was directly related to The Dude, and so you shouldn't feel offended by it.

Well then we are arguing over different things.

This statement was directly related to The Dude, and so you shouldn't feel offended by it.

Would that be me??

i just viewed the trailer... OMG i'm not going to miss this movie. Even the teaser trailer is a master piece

heh, talking about X-Men's Beast in a Superman thread?

Does anyone know for sure if they are going to use the original theme song? Or will they change it? Personally I don't think they should mess with it. I think it would be just wrong. If they do keep the original I hope John Williams will compose the entire soundtrack?