The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Victim of The Night
I usually just wait for the countdown to end before revealing my list, but a couple of movies on my list were mentioned, so I thought I would just give a shout out to a couple of my favorite comedies that didn't make the countdown.

The Cannonball Run was #17 on my list. Between Roger Moore spoofing himself as James Bond, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr. as fake priests, Jack Elam as the crazy doctor, and Burt Reynolds with his usual charm, this movie is a laugh riot, but Dom DeLuise steals the movie as Captain Chaos.

Seems Like Old Times was # 12 on my list. It's a movie that makes me laugh from start to finish, especially the final courtroom scene. The 3-way love triangle of Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn, and Charles Grodin is so much fun to watch, and the supporting cast just adds to the fun.
Cannonball Run was my No.25.

Seems Like Old Times did not make my list but I do really enjoy it and I at least sniffed it.

Victim of The Night
I see it pop up with some of my friends on the right, also. It's everywhere!
Maybe this is how we all finally come together. We gang up on the Cancellers.

Young Frankenstein was my number 6. Mel Brooks at his finest in a film dealing with the Frankenstein legend, but done with enough verve and nerve that it circles around Dracula: Dead and Loving It and Robin Hood: Men in Tights. The song and dance number, the horse whinneys, the look and feel of the Universal Frankenstein films while leaving plenty of room for laughs. The execution is *chef's kiss*.

As for my one pointer, can you say road trip?

Remaining Films:

4. Will be revealed soon
17. Gave you a hint earlier
18. Gave you a hint earlier
25. Gave you a hint here.

HM1: Gave you a hint earlier
HM2: Should be coming up soon

In retrospect, I should have included Heathers and Slap Shot as Honorable Mentions. My memory isn't the best, but those two did make me laugh out loud for different reasons.

Of the films that just missed honorable mentions, just one of them hasn't been brought up. It was close to making the list, but I wasn't sure I could argue this was a comedy. But Network was in the mix. Sure, the story is about the breakdown of a news anchor (Peter Finch) who becomes a popular entertainer. But there's some funny bits on there as well. Such as the last line from the narrator. Or the meeting of Diana (Faye Dunaway) and Laureen (Marlene Warfield). It's a potent satire of the gray line between TV, news, and entertainment and how it starts to blur when his rantings become a huge hit for a network starving for a spark.

YES! Young Frankenstein is indeed a comedy classic! So glad to see it so high. I wrote this about it once:

Director: Mel Brooks
Writers: Gene Wilder, Mel Brooks
Cast: Gene Wilder, Madeline Kahn, Marty Feldman, Terri Garr, Peter Boyle, Cloris Leachman

Dr. Frankenstein (Gene Wilder) is the modern day American grandson of the infamous scientist who created the original 'Frankenstein's monster'. In an attempt to prove that his ideas were not crazy, young Dr. Frankenstein travels to his ancestral home and takes up residents in the old family castle. There he discovers his grandfathers recipe for reanimating the dead.

I loved the look of this film, there were many nods to the film making of the early 1930s. Of course the most visible 1930s retro look is Mel Brooks' decision to shoot in glorious black & white. I love black & white for a subject like this one. With all of the extraneous colors stripped out we're left with form, texture and shadows. The film becomes dream like and the lighting can readily show the texture of the old castle's bricks or the frazzled hair of Dr Frankenstein after he has emerged from the act of creation. Black & White allows side and back lighting to work to greater effect...it makes the movie great.

Another nod to the serials and matinee films of the 1930s was the scene transition wipes. The wipes come when one scene ends and another begins. There are all sorts of cool scene wipes used: diagonal wipes, shrink to a hole-then expand back to full screen wipes, rotating wipes. All very cool and it shows how much care was put into this film to make it look like an authentic early 30s film.

Many of the same electronic lab equipment that was used in the original Frankenstein film was used in Young Frankenstein.

Wow, does Gene Wilder deliver some of the most dramatic dialogue ever! The man is a master of diction! I wish we had a time machine and could send Gene Wilder back to play Dr. Frankenstein in the original 1930s movie. My gawd, can you image how much more powerful that film would've been with Gene Wilder belting out He's alive!

And how about Marty Feldman, he has to be one of the most memorable character actors to grace the screen. With stellar performances being turned in by Madeline Kahn and Cloris Leachman too, one could write a book about these amazing talents.

And let's not forget the adorably cute, Terri Garr!

This is Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder at their best!

+
Great review! I was happy to see Young Frankenstein get so high up at #4. I had it as my #2.

Here is some commentary of mine from a few years ago:

Young Frankenstein

Early in the movie, when Frederick Frankenstein (FRONK-en-steen) arrives by train at his homeland, and asks a young kid, “Pardon me boy, is this the Transylvania Station?”, the Glenn Miller pun alerts us that this could be a very clever movie. And clever it is—arguably the funniest Mel Brooks produced film; and Brooks doesn’t even appear in it.

The screenplay by Brooks and Gene Wilder was of course based upon the classic
Frankenstein (1931) and Bride of Frankenstein (1935). Wilder’s influence served to tamp down Brooks’ penchant for sub-Marx Bothers and daffy over-the-top comedy. There was a little of that, but in the main the gags, puns, and send-offs hit their targets with delightful accuracy.

In addition the wonderful photography perfectly captured the feel of the earlier films, the black and white images illustrated the mysteriousness of the period and its eerie wonderment. But it was the film’s pacing that set it apart from Brooks’ previous work. The editing kept it tight, and the pauses and timing were perfectly shaped.

All in the cast were at the peak of their popularity in 1974: Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Terri Garr, Madelyn Kahn, Cloris Leachman, and the inimitable Marty Feldman. For icing on the cake we get Kenneth Mars, Gene Hackman, and Liam Dunn.

The film was not only a clever comedy and satire, but it also showed a touching side of Boyle’s monster, Wilder’s Frankenstein, and a unique relationship between the two. There are too many gags to reference, but one favorite that recurred throughout the picture was every time the fearsome Frau Blucher’s name was spoken, horses reared up and whinnied in terror in the background.

Many good comedies suffer from a disjointed ending. That’s not the case here.
All the story lines are brought to satisfying and humorous outcomes, and true love is found by both Frankenstein AND his monster.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Groundhog Day (1993)

Phil: Do you ever have déjà vu, Mrs. Lancaster?
Mrs. Lancaster: I don't think so, but I could check with the kitchen.

Bill Murray has a problem.
I don't know, maybe it's a rut, but it just seems like every day is exactly the same as the one before. . .

There's this guy, Bill, a bit of a dilemma.
He hits the alarm, sees the same bunch of people, day in and day out. . .

You are NOT gonna believe this! Murray, you know, Bill, the man's dealing with some sh#t.okay.
Um, hold on, I'm sorry, did I already tell you about this?

Ghostbusters (1984)

Dr. Raymond Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.
Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
Mayor: Is this true?
Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes, it's true. [pause] This man has no dick.

One of many of that time that got watched countless times and then from time to time. Continues to cause me to crack up at a solid team with Ackroyd, Murray, and Ramis. The original, the genesis, and by far THE best of the bunch.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

[the Black Knight continues to threaten Arthur despite getting both his arms and one of his legs cut off]
Black Knight: Right, I'll do you for that!
King Arthur: You'll what?
Black Knight: Come here!
King Arthur: What are you gonna do, bleed on me?
Black Knight: I'm invincible!
King Arthur: You're a loony.

A HUGE COLOSSAL regret to leave out but knew it'll place but, oh, lumpy, happy feelings it would be #5!
MoFo, I salute you!!

In Junior High, a buddy sat by the TV with a handheld tape recorder and had to flip the cassette at one point. We played it, memorized it, and rambled the entire thing.

So, yeah, me likey.

Coming in at #8

Young Frankenstein (1974)

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [Reading from his grandfather's notebook] "As the minuteness of the parts formed a great hindrance to my speed, I resolved therefore to make a being of a gigantic stature."
[pause] Of course. That would simplify everything.
Inga: In other vords: his veins, his feet, his hands, his organs vould all have to be increased in size.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Exactly.
Inga: He vould have an enormous schwanzstucker.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: That goes without saying.
Inga: Voof.
Igor: He's going to be very popular.

There isn't a scene that I do not anticipate and laugh at in the entirety of this top echelon Mel Brooks with, as we all effin know, adding a certain - putting on the ritz, Gene Wilder.

Let's run the gambit of comedic brilliance by beginning with the ladies.

the beautiful Terri Garr,

as always, bringing a delicious creepiness to her role, Cloris Leachman

and my favorite of the three, Madeline Kahn

All of which do amazing jobs and are equaled by the gentlemen here,

Peter Boyle brings comedic life to The Creature,

the show-stealing Marty Feldman,

the calm collective that grows frantic, Gene Wilder,

and yet ANOTHER incredibly bizarre character played brilliantly over the top by Kenneth Mars.

Finally, my favorite cameo; Gene Hackman

All of which making a very memorable, very funny, easily quotable, and very entertaining parody of the old Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein films.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
And clearing out the itty bitty hiney of the list are. . .

21. Monsters vs Aliens (2009)

The Missing Link: [about Susan] She's speechless!
B.O.B.: She?
Dr. Cockroach Ph.D.: Yes. We are in the presence of the rare female monster.
B.O.B.: No way! It's a boy; look at his boobies!
The Missing Link: We need to have a talk.

Another solid list of voice actors, starring Reese Witherspoon, Will Arnett, Hugh Laurie, and another scenario where I love someone in animation and can very easily do without, Seth Rogan as B.O.B. along with Rain Wilson as the invading alien, Gallaxhar and others, in an endearing tip of the hat to old fifties sci-fi flicks that resides in our Sleeping Films. Ones we adore, seen countless times, and drift off to at any given night when I used to work Afternoon Shifts.

22. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

Who Father: Hey, Honey! Our baby's here.
[looks closely at the baby]
Who Father: He looks just like your boss.

Ron Howard, a TRUE storyteller of a Director, embraces and brings to life Dr. Seus' Whoville and the green-skin hater of Christmas, played brilliantly by Jim Carey. A Christmas Tradition film (along with the original TV Show) and sometimes, just for the fun of it.

23. Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999)

Amber Atkins: My mom never hid the fact that my dad chose his career over us. What was it, she always said?
Loretta: Once a carnie, always a carnie.
Amber Atkins: Mom still cries every time she sees a tilt-a-whirl or a fat lady in a tube top.

Candy Striper: Hello Miss Sad Pants and her friend, Serious Sally! How about a nice cool mint to help turn those frowns upside down?
Loretta: Do you think a nice cool mint would help if I shoved your head up your ass?

This is my only first-time recent watch from the Comedy Personal Rec, and with the amount of laughter continuously bubbling all out, it deserved a VIP pass.
Set in a mockumentary format, Writer Lona Williams, a former small-town Beauty Pageant contestant, pokes fun at the whole process with an irreverent comedic style reminiscent of National Lampoon, which I am a fan, was quite hilarious for me. Williams also plays a silent role as the grave, bespectacled, and only woman Judge of the Pageant.
The other two are a local pervert and a hefty Micheal McShane with a "slow-witted" -- aw f@ckit, a retard son (Will Sasso). Because nothing is sacred, it's sort of counter-productive to apply "correct dialogue" to the humor of this film.

Topping the bill of the competition is the wealthy family of the town, Kirstie Alley as Gladys Leeman orchestrates the important winner, her daughter, Denise Richards as Rebecca 'Becky' Ann Leeman.
Her main (still alive) competition is a local girl, Kirsten Dunst, as Amber Atkins, who tap dances and applies makeup at the morgue. With a beer-drinking Trailer Mom, Ellen Barkin as Annette Atkins, and a highlight, as Barkin's best friend and inappropriate role model for Dunst, Allison Janney as Loretta.
Supporting them with equal dark comedic humor in a Teenage Beauty Pageant where any and all competition wide up dead includes the hospitalized, heavily medicated winner from the previous year, Brittany Murphy, with great comedic effect. Playing Kristie Alley's lackey with her usual brilliance is Mindy Sterling (Frau Farbissina from the Austin Powers series.)

Made before the whole Shock Comedy seriously took off, of which I am not a fan. I firmly believe that it should be referenced when conversing on the iconic National Lampoon films whose comedic style it shares and does exceedingly well.

Watched: 79 out of 96 (82.29%)
1. Kung Fu Hustle (2004) #66
2.Cruella (2021)
3. Gonna be in the Top Ten
4. Long past its due date
5. Has a little bit of life left, maybe
6. F@CK ALL YA ALL this doesn't place
7. What's Up, Doc? (1972) #59
8. Young Frankenstein (1974) #4
9. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain aka Amélie (2001) #40
10. Flushed Away (2006)
11. Something I never thought had a chance, but by conversations, I've read. . . ??? Annd back to not freakin likely
12. I thought, at least, maybe the back fifty. F@ck me till I giggle if it shows in the next ten or so
13. Blazing Saddles (1974) #10
14. Caddyshack (1980) #25
15. Deadpool (2016)
16. OK, this one kinda pisses me off in a kinda snobby "No, good sir, f@ck not only you but each and every one of your associates. So, yes, if you please, gag, choke, die. You pick what order. Now, off with you."
17. Um, let's see, I. . . think, I'm gonna go with. . . um, yes. #6, yes, please, thank you
18. F@ck, I already know; I'll have a #4, thanks
19. Was hoping for a spot in the back twenty. . . oh well, boo effin hoo pour moi lol
20. Dinner For Schmucks (2010)
21. Monsters vs Aliens (2009)
22. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
23. Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999)
24. Animal House (1978) #31
25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

One Pointers: 18 out of 42 (40.47%)

Rectification List
1. Mean Girls (2004) #67
2. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) #31

Young Frankenstein - wasn't on my ballot, but as I've said multiple times on the previous Brooks' films, during the Brooks revisit/marathon my friends did 10 years ago, this was the one that still made me laugh the most and actually resembled my positive childhood memory of it.

One from my ballot that did not place -
What I consider the greatest zombie horror-comedy ever (which as I've stated is not Shaun of the Dead).
What? No... though Zombieland was a lot of fun.
Okay, not Cabin the Woods either, though that was in contention for my ballot with Evil Dead II.
Dead Alive? Okay, I didn't think of that one either, but probably wouldn't have gone that route.
No, no, no...
Not Night of the Creeps, not Slither...

Use your delicious, juicy, moist.... brain.

#9. Return of the Living Dead (1985)
What do you get when the writer of Alien direct a cast full of character actors, but doesn't tell them that it's a comedy? A movie that somehow manages to make you laugh but actually delivers on the sense of an emerging zombie apocalypse.
I just find this movie lots of fun, quick paced, and the characters that feel like they mostly behave in a believable fashion rather than a by the numbers behavioral roles.

Let the night air cool you off
My ballot:

2. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
3. Black Dynamite (2009)
5. Superbad (2007)
10. House (1977)
11. It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012)
15. Duck Soup (1933)

So, what are we allowed to reveal at this point? I have a lot more open spots on my ballot than films that are left in the countdown right now.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've seen Young Frankenstein a few times, and I wasn't a fan of it at first, but it's starting to grow on me a little bit. I still think it's a bit overrated, but I seem to be warming up to it a little bit more with each rewatch.

People forget that Young Frankenstein also parodies Son of Frankenstein, especially with the crowd not wanting Frankenstein's kin back in their village, and best of all, Inspector Kemp (the hilarious Kenneth Mars), having fun with Lionel Atwill's original Inspector, with his mangled Transylvanian accent (I especially like the emphasis on the "damn!") :

Young Frankenstein was #3 on my list. An all-time favorite.

My list:
#2.Arthur-#111
#3.Young Frankenstein
#4.The In-Laws
#5.Blazing Saddles
#8.Stripes
#9.The Blues Brothers
#10.Monty Python and the Holy Grail
#11.Arsenic and Old Lace
#12.Tootsie-#108
#13.Raising Arizona
#14.Animal House
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
#22.Caddyshack

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
While Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles weren't on my list, I did have another Gene Wilder movie on my list, (in addition to The Producers (1967), which placed at #83 on the countdown).

It wasn't Willy Wonka, and it wasn't one of his comedies with Richard Pryor. It was the lesser known and underrated The Frisco Kid (1979). Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford star in this western comedy about a rabbi from Poland, (Wilder), who travels to San Francisco with some help from a bank robber, (Ford). It was #13 on my list.

@gbgoodies Love The Frisco Kid! Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford were a genius team-up.
The Frisco Kid was surprisingly good. Maybe GBG told me about it during the western countdown watch period? Gosh I loved that countdown.

I forgot the opening line.
The Frisco Kid was one of the very first movies I ever owned on video, and I used to love watching it.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

From the MoFo Top 100 Westerns...

In the few years between Star Wars making him known overnight and The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark securing him as a superstar Harrison Ford was a working actor who hadn’t yet cemented his legacy. He starred in the WWII action piece Force 10 from Navarone, the WWII romance Hanover Street, and a comedic Western with Gene Wilder. Since the back-to-back 1974 Mel Brooks hits Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein Wilder had been looking for similar successes without Mel. The Hitchcockian comedy Silver Streak (his first pairing with Richard Pryor) was a big hit, but The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother and The World’s Greatest Lover, both written and directed by Gene, were not. The Frisco Kid script, about a Rabbi pairing with a gunslinger, had been bouncing around town for years and at one point John Wayne was going to play the Harrison Ford role. Wilder did an uncredited rewrite and signed on. Robert Aldrich, best known for The Dirty Dozen and who helmed five other Westerns over his career including Vera Cruz and Ulzana’s Raid with Burt Lancaster, came onto the project very late. Comedy was not really his forte and he would make only one more movie. It ain’t Blazing Saddles and the tone shifts here and there, but The Frisco Kid somehow endures with enough laughs and two likeable stars to carry it. It only got three MoFo votes but they were all top tens: second place, fifth place, and seventh. 24+21+19 = 64.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I will go Airplane. That would make my 1 and 2 correct, and I got #5. Had Airplane at #8. I really botched Saddles and Frankenstein. Had them reversed from where they fell.