The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I thought Ghostbusters (1984) was a riot when it came out. It was a fresh offbeat story with wacky comedy and great special effects.

TBH I didn't think of it for the countdown. It's certainly worthy of the top 100, but to my taste it doesn't belong in the top 25, let alone the top 10.

5 movies left and the last 5 movies I predict
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Young Frankenstein
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Big Lebowski
Wedding Crashers

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Young Frankenstein
The Big Lebowski
Wedding Crashers
I think you're right!

Ghostbusters is hilarious. I had a double feature for my niece and nephews featuring this and Zombieland.

I did not vote for it. I was trying to think of as many old movies as I could.

Ghostbusters is hilarious. I had a double feature for my niece and nephews featuring this and Zombieland.

I did not vote for it. I was trying to think of as many old movies as I could.
It would of been nice if Zombieland made this list too bad it's not gonna happened or will it

I think it's pretty safe to say that film won't make this list.
Which movie do you predict might get on there instead of wedding crashers?

Airplane!, undoubtedly.
Yea that might be another movie that could possibly make it although I'd prefer Wedding Crashers over Airplane!

Yea that might be another movie that could possibly make it although I'd prefer Wedding Crashers over Airplane!
I haven't seen Wedding Crashers yet. I might check it out someday.

Young Frankenstein
The Big Lebowski
Wedding Crashers
I think Airplane makes it instead of Wedding Crashers.

I think Airplane makes it instead of Wedding Crashers.
You might be right, will have to see

Kung Fu Hustle it left me the most impression

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Kung Fu Hustle it left me the most impression

I may soon regret this, but i have faith in anonymous avatars!

That reminds me, I shoulda nominated Shrek.

Absolutely! Ghostbusters is one of the funniest (and fun) movies of all-time. It's still hilarious. All the characters are great and I seem to recall Winston's lines the most, because he's the "everyman" for the audience:
"If there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say."
"Since I joined these men, I've seen sh** that'll turn you white."
"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say, YES!"
"Myth? Ray, has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason we've been so busy lately is 'cause the dead HAVE been rising from the grave?"
"Tell him about the Twinkie."
"We have the tools, and we have the talent!"

Everybody else is funnier but Winston steadies everything by keeping it real. I was really jazzed when he played an important role near the close of the latest Ghostbusters installment.

But the whole thing is brilliant, and yes, Dan Aykroyd kept everything nice and off the chain.

But, yes, I agree with all Rick Moranis fans about his contribution to the film, especially this sequence below and his last line about the fate of the Shuvs and Zuuls on a certain day. I still repeat this line to my nephew, who knows about as many lines as I do from this classic. However, did not place it on my list. I just knew it would be here, somewhere!

My list:
#2.Arthur-#111
#4.The In-Laws
#5.Blazing Saddles
#8.Stripes
#9.The Blues Brothers
#11.Arsenic and Old Lace
#12.Tootsie-#108
#13.Raising Arizona
#14.Animal House
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
#22.Caddyshack

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like Groundhog Day, but I think of it more as a rom-com then as a comedy, so it didn't make my list.

Ghostbusters is one of those movies that just kept going on and off my list as I was trying to finalize it, so I rewatched it in the last few days before finalizing my list and I realized that it's so funny that it definitely deserved a spot in my top 25. It was #23 on my list.

My list so far:
1) My Cousin Vinny (1992)
2) Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
4) When Harry Met Sally… (1989)
6) The Princess Bride (1987)
8) The Producers (1967)
9) Back to the Future (1985)
10) Galaxy Quest (1999)
16) It Happened One Night (1934)
19) Liar Liar (1997)
23) Ghostbusters (1984)

I forgot the opening line.
I'll comment on Ghostbusters after the next reveal - suffice to say it's a great film that didn't make it onto my ballot. Otherwise, the final 2 which aren't going to make it :

#7 - The Ladykillers. This ended up being a bad countdown for Ealing Studios and their suite of comedies. I would have given Kind Hearts and Coronets a good chance of making it, and The Ladykillers, although perhaps the remake by the Coen bros has diminished the respect we used to have for it. Alec Guiness and Peter Sellers were simply hilarious, and give two outstanding comedic performances. It has a devilishly great script by William Rose and was directed by Alexander Mackendrick before he went to the U.S. to somehow both spectacularly succeed and completely fail at the same time. I'm never not in the mood for watching The Ladykillers, and if I'd known it had no chance of making the list I would have thrown my weight behind My Man Godfrey. It is surely one of the best heist films ever made, and utilizes Cecil Parker, Herbert Lom and Danny Green who are no match for the befuddled granny played by Katie Johnson, an actress of some regard before cinema even existed.

#20 - Booksmart. Yeah, I absolutely loved this movie and have watched it several times - without my affections for it diminishing. Recency bias? Considering this came out in 2019 that may very well be the case - and neither of the two movies I included which came out in the 2010s made it (I don't think any 2010s movie made it.) Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein make a great pair, and seem to have chemistry beyond that of what you usually see in your average comedy. As such, the two espouse their beliefs and desires in such a good-natured and life-affirming way that when they have a serious falling out it's actually quite an impactful moment in this film. It's about two girls who decide being 'good' students behavior-wise and academic-wise has meant that they've missed out on a lot of what their friends are experiencing (while those friends are still as successful academically as they are.) So they decide to let their hair down for one night, and in a very clumsy way try and party the night away. I thought if there was a recent entry, it might be this (lower down on the list) but it never showed.

#s 1, 3 and 4 are going to show in the next 5 reveals. #15 & 16 are still being predicted by everyone - so I'll wait to reveal those until the very end.

2. This Is Spinal Tap (1984) - #13
5. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #14
6. Shaun of the Dead (2004) - #15
7. The Ladykillers (1955) - DNP
8. The Producers (1967) - #83
9. Back to the Future (1985) - #35
10. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - #31
11. The Death of Stalin (2017) - DNP
12. Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) - #20
13. The In-Laws (1979) - #63
14. Groundhog Day (1993) - #7
17. Blazing Saddles (1974) - #10
18. The Jerk (1979) - #24
19. Hot Fuzz (2007) - #12
20. Booksmart (2019) - DNP
21. Black Dynamite (2009) - #66
22. World's Greatest Dad (2009) - DNP
23. Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928) - DNP
24. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988) - #17
25. Brewster McCloud (1970) - 1-pointer (hit)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)