The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I saw Duck Soup a long time ago and I wasn’t blown away. However, I plan on seeing it again - especially because of the short runtime. I’m not sure I totally got what I thought I would get, so maybe I saw it with the wrong mindset.

Groundhog Day I wanted to say I saw recently but realized it was back in 2018. I remember it fondly though. While I probably don’t hold it as high as some do, I definitely recognize it as a well made comedy with a fun concept and good entertainment value. I’m not at all surprised to see it in the top 10.

I love American Grafitti", but here is where I breath rare air. I actually enjoyed " More American Grafitti" more than the original. Yes, it's a little more slapstick, but loved how all the individual stories played out. Also the ambiance of mid-60s pop culture.
Count me as a fan of More American Grafitti, in fact I was just thinking about it as I watched this obscure indie film about 1/4 mile drag strip racing Drag Racer (1972). It's not a polished film but works quite well as a behind the scenes look at top fuel rail drag racing in California in the early 1970s. I bet you'd like it.

Count me as a fan of More American Grafitti, in fact I was just thinking about it as I watched this obscure indie film about 1/4 mile drag strip racing Drag Racer (1972). It's not a polished film but works quite well as a behind the scenes look at top fuel rail drag racing in California in the early 1970s. I bet you'd like it.

Yeah, I enjoyed "Drag Racer". But have to insert this scene.

I was wondering if we'd get any Iannucchi (In the Loop, The Death of Stalin - also Veep for TV) or Winterbottom/Coogan The Trip movies in the countdown. I know they suffer from being more recent, but also benefit from being in people's mind's eye because they were recent.

I guess not from the looks of it.
For what it's worth, I strongly considered In the Loop. It might have been one of my last cuts. Really funny film with a killer performance from Capaldi.

An old picturesque little town, snow, Andie MacDowell, a time-loop, a groundhog, Bill Murray..
Yeah my number one comedy not only has a great setting mixed with a clever gimmick and concept. It also combines an intelligent poignant story with humor, romance, charm and a lot of heart. It makes perfect use of Murray's talents. Besides that this film slaps and packs a punch as well..

Seen 65/94
Ballot

Boldly going.
Groundhog Day was #3 on my list. The first time I watched it, I honestly thought the scene where Phil drives off the cliff with the groundhog was the climax of the movie - I'm so glad it wasn't. Groundhog day is one of those movies that starts off so-so and gets better as it goes along. And it has some really magical scenes. Philosophically, the movie is very interesting to me. Just like Phil, I often revisit Phil's week, in February.

Yeah, I enjoyed "Drag Racer". But have to insert this scene.
And I, this scene. It is the only Drag Racing scene I know of featuring Joaquin Phoneix...
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Victim of The Night
I admit I'm a little surprised at all of the surprise over Groundhog Day placing this high. It's true that on the surface it seems like a kind of dopey Bill Murray romcom. And a single viewing might reinforce that. But appropriately, multiple viewings can (not will, but can) deepen appreciation for the underpinning philosophy of the film, which is--intentionally or not--rather meaningful and nuanced. It certainly invited a lot of spiritual consideration. Plus, and more importantly for this list, it is also funny, nailing the balance between repetition and surprise. I'm in sync with the list again; Groundhog Day was my #7.
No, I think it's a really good, smart comedy, I've watched it probably half a dozen times, and if it had placed somewhere between 25 and 50, say, I would have nodded (even though 25 would seem high to me), but Top-10 of All Time, this has to be my No.1 wildest moment of the countdown.

Victim of The Night
Or your taste is officially bad?
Ha!
No, I meant "consensus" like they appear on virtually every list there is.

But not this one.

7-10 - all amazing. 3 on my list.

First not - Groundhog Day (1993). I have no good reason this wasn't on my list. I think I just plumb forgot about it. Oops.

Blazing Saddles (1974) - my #3! An amazing film and it gives me an excuse to briefly tell this story:

About 10 years ago, I had the good fortune to watch a screening of this film in a theater with Mel Brooks there. It was fantastic. I even shook his hand (he was literally walking up to everyone with his hand out going, "Hi, I'm Mel!"). This is one that is at least 3x as funny in a theater. That's why I ranked it so high.

Some Like it Hot (1959) - my #14 - an all time great from Wilder, Curtis, and Lemmon. I prefer The Apartment, but I can't quibble with this being ranked so high.

Duck Soup (1933) - my #7 - so close. This list would not be complete without a Marx Brothers film and this, in my opinion, is the greatest of them.

Seen: 91/93

My new list:

1. The In-Laws (1979)
2. Step Brothers (2008)
3. Blazing Saddles (1974)
4. The Jerk (1979)
7. Duck Soup (1933)
8. Office Space (1999)
9. This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
12. Best in Show (2000)
14. Some Like It Hot (1959)
15. Superbad (2007)
17. Raising Arizona (1987)
18. His Girl Friday (1940)
19. Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
20. The Lady Eve (1941)
21. The Apartment (1960)
22. Annie Hall (1977)
25. It Happened One Night (1934)

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
So disappointed Harlem Nights didn't make this list. Pryor, Murphy, Redd Foxx, Hall, Della Reese? Come on, y'all. The cast alone should be an easy top 50. Lady Heroin must have seduced some of you folks cuz you ain't right.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I finally watched Groundhog Day a few weeks back, as I knew it'd show up rather high here. I feel like I may have been a bit of a stinger with my
+ as I've been quoting it and reminiscing since. Hell I wouldn't mind another watch. Feels like a great rainy day movie, with plenty of charm. Murray will always illicit a chuckle out of me, and while I didn't find this hilarious it's certainly elegant.

One of mine that didn't make it, is my second favorite Woody film. Here were my thoughts on first watch during our 80s list
I watched Crimes and Misdemeanors, and I loved it, probably would've been #10 on my list had I seen it on time.

This is the other Woody Allen great that I've been looking for, after watching Midnight in Paris and Annie Hall a few years ago, the rest of the Woody Allen works I've seen have ranged from near awful to very good. But none have been great, like Crimes and Misdemeanors. The Woody Allen scenes were consistently hilarious, crammed with witty one liners, and priceless moments. My favorite is when Woody Allen shows the final product for the documentary he's been making for and about his smug brother in law, in which he clips in a roaring Mussolini. Which is another unique aspect this film accomplished, in it's modern recreations of black and white movies, showing clips of the scene getting recreated moments after-usually at a theater.

The more dramatic Martin Landua plot didn't put me in a solemn mood, that Woody Allen was trying to create. This is the one aspect of this film that didn't get accomplished in my viewing experience. The dilemmas were gripping, and the spiritual flashbacks were intriguing, but I lacked empathy in these scenes. I even felt more towards Woody Allen in his envy towards his brother-in-law, and his desire for Halley (Mia Farrow). Both stories cover a different stage of an affair, with much different results, and begs the question of which one got it better.

The film editing is stellar, done by Susan E Morose, and Woody Allen directs another awesome comedy

-

My List:
1. Duck Soup (1933)
3. Annie Hall (1977)
4. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
5. The Graduate (1967)
6. The Great Dictator (1940)
9. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
10. Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)
13. Being John Malkovich (1999)
14. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
17. The Kid (1921)
22. Monkey Business (1931)
24. Office Space (1999)
25. Scary Movie 4 (2006) (1 PTer)

I completely forgot about Groundhog Day, and I'm sure I would have squeezed it onto my list somewhere in the 20s, but it obviously didn't need any extra help.

No, I think it's a really good, smart comedy, I've watched it probably half a dozen times, and if it had placed somewhere between 25 and 50, say, I would have nodded (even though 25 would seem high to me), but Top-10 of All Time, this has to be my No.1 wildest moment of the countdown.
I do think the critical needle has moved a lot on this one over time. When the BBC did a top 100 comedies list (in, I think, 2017), Groundhog Day was even higher than it is here, at #4.

As far as this forum is concerned, we do appear to have moved into the true consensus phase--all of the last three movies to appear are the only ones (so far) with 20 or more votes each.

So disappointed Harlem Nights didn't make this list. Pryor, Murphy, Redd Foxx, Hall, Della Reese? Come on, y'all. The cast alone should be an easy top 50. Lady Heroin must have seduced some of you folks cuz you ain't right.
I'm at 6/10 or so on this movie, but I would agree that it's a lot better than its awful initial reception would suggest. Eddie and his comedy heroes in period costuming? Plenty to enjoy there.

Harlem Nights is a lot like City Heat (1984) - which finally paired Eastwood and Burt Reynolds with a very strong supporting cast including Madeline Kahn, Richard Roundtree, Rip Torn, Jayne Alexander - a period piece that on paper should be a very fun and extremely satisfying project. But in execution...oh boy.

I hadn't bothered to watch Harlem Nights in a long, long time, but HBO had been running it again three or four months ago and it was on HBO Max (not sure if it is still there now or not), so I re-watched it, beginning to end. It is so lifeless, in spite of the cast. Massively disappointing,