The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Yes. There was an error made way back in the first couple reveals. It made the list all off by one number. From ninety-something on down to twenty-five everything is -1 than it should be. The running list on the second page is correct, but if you go back to the bulk of the reveals, if it says it is #49 it is really #50. The numbers of the reveal are synced now, but it left the pairings one off. There are three left until the Top Ten instead of two.

Not sure if he is doing three reveals tomorrow to true it up or the one-a-days are going to start with the Top Eleven?

If #11 winds up being This is Spinal Tap that will be ever so cool.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I wasn't sure Galaxy Quest was even going to make the list, so to see it place this high is a pleasant surprise. When I first saw it, I just thought it was okay (though better than expected because I dislike Tim Allen), but I rewatched it a few years later and appreciated it a lot more. After Alan Rickman passed, my room mate wanted to watch it because he hadn't seen it before, and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. It was #16 on my list.

Coincidentally, I also had Shaun of the Dead on my ballot, and it was also right next to Galaxy Quest at #15.

Seen: 56/88

My List: 11
02. The Princess Bride (1987) - #16
04. Evil Dead II (1987) - #93
06. Brazil (1985) - #47
07. The Great Dictator (1940) - #50
11. His Girl Friday (1940) - #25
14. Clerks (1994) - #64
15. Shaun of the Dead (2004) - #15
16. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #14

17. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - #30
21. Tropic Thunder (2008) - #58
22. Arsenic & Old Lace (1944) - #27

Galaxy Quest is so underrated...very funny movie.

Short tech note, some of the earlier ranks are gonna look wonky for a bit until I can sit down and fix/relabel a bunch of stuff. Trying to find a way to do this that won't take forever/be totally manual, so kindly take the exact rankings up until these last few with a grain of salt, as most will shift slightly before we confirm the final list.
15 left. Ignore the "x per day" thing, the little shift earlier, announced in the thread, has thrown off that schedule by one, but the ranks themselves for the last few days are all correct. The others will be corrected shortly.

We'll probably just start the one-a-day thing a day earlier so it still "lines up."
Yeah, stay tuned, there's a few issues there to untangle.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Shaun of the Dead for the Horror Countdown, but it's just not my type of movie, (which isn't surprising because I generally don't like zombie movies).

Galaxy Quest is a very funny movie that just gets better every time I watch it. It's one of the best sci-fi comedies, and a great Star Trek spoof. It was #10 on my list.

My list so far:
1) My Cousin Vinny (1992)
2) Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
4) When Harry Met Sally… (1989)
6) The Princess Bride (1987)
8) The Producers (1967)
9) Back to the Future (1985)
10) Galaxy Quest (1999)
16) It Happened One Night (1934)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
12. Galaxy Quest (1999)

17. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988)

4. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

16. Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)

Some placements on my list.

Suspect's Reviews

@crumbsroom and @Holden Pike I feel you about Slapshot and Arthur. Both are two of my favorite comedies of all-time and I'd hoped at least one of them would have made it. But...

I didn't see Shaun of the Dead until it was released on home video and I loved it. It was my first time to see Simon Pegg and Nick Frost in anything, and certainly my first experience seeing an Edgar Wright film. I immediately had to own it.

Galaxy Quest is a favorite of mine. I saw it at the cinema when it came out and loved the Star Trek love it gave as I'm a huge fan of Star Trek (at least up to end of ST:Enterprise) and this movie really captured the heart and soul of the Original Trek, while at the same time having fun at its expense. And all the acting was top-notch. I especially loved Sam Rockwell. I saw him in this and The Green Mile in the same month in 1999 and was immediately drawn to his great acting, wondering where in the world has this guy been? Have been a fan of his ever since. But both films had lots to offer besides Rockwell.

Anyway, of the two that made the list today, I included neither. I didn't put Galaxy Quest on my list and Shaun of the Dead was one I seriously considered but left off at the last minute.

Of the rest on my list, I'd say 5 could definitely make it, and 1 will maybe make it. The remainder, no way.

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes
#9.The Blues Brothers
#11.Arsenic and Old Lace
#13.Raising Arizona
#14.Animal House
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
#22.Caddyshack

Speaking of Dudley Moore's performance in Arthur, I had an idea for a new wrinkle in re-doing the decade lists. Rather than simple updated do-overs I thought about ranking and listing the best performances. For all of times you feel actors have been "snubbed" by the Oscars and other awards shows, here's your chance to highlight what you think is the best of the best. Do you think Robin Williams' voice work as The Genie in Aladdin or Andy Serkis' motion-capture work in The Lord of the Rings and Planet of the Apes trilogies is just as impressive as DeNiro's Raging Bull and Day-Lewis' There Will Be Blood? Vote for them. It would also give a chance to pluck and elevate great work from OK films. Back in the 1990s Movieline magazine had a regular column called "Great-ish Performances" that highlighted actors who gave it their all and were memorable even if the overall movie around them didn't work as well. Lead or supporting, male or female, young or old, just a ballot of twenty-five of what you think are the best performances per a decade.

The idea came to me during the MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s. Specifically I was thinking about Sexy Beast. It is a decent Brit Neo-Noir, but it likely wouldn't ever float to the top when talking about the best films of a year or certainly a decade. BUT Ben Kingsley's performance as the foul-mouthed, violent gangster Don Logan is absolutely one of the most indelible bits of screenwork you will ever see. If you were listing performances and not necessarily the overall quality of the film, yeah, Kingsley in Sexy Beast should very much be in the mix with Daniel Day-Lewis.

I mentioned this idea to Yoda, though we hadn't discussed practical details, as in for one the actual list format would have to be altered since a single film might well pop up more than once, just as it does at the Oscars. You could include as many co-stars from a single film as you thought were warranted. You want both Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano from There Will Be Blood on your ballot, use two of your spots. If you want all four of the main characters from Requiem for a Dream go ahead and vote for Burstyn, Leto, Connelly, and Wayans. If you think Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday is the most amazing thing ever, you can vote for it without having to justify Tombstone as being on the same level as Schindler's List. If you think Kathy Bates' turn as Mama Boucher is just as impressive as her Annie Wilkes, here is your chance.

I'll float the idea again whenever we start discussing and choosing future list topics, but it could be a fun and different angle to approach our favorites from.

Or it could be garbage.

"By Grabthar's Hammer, what a placement."

But seriously, there's so much to praise about Galaxy Quest, especially the performances, my favorites being Enrico Colantoni's ("you...are...our...last...hope") and Tony Shalhoub's, who gives the impression that's he's perpetually high ("that was a hell of a thing") and like he was directed to be the opposite of the always argumentative Scotty. It also may be the only comedy with a scene that brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it, i.e. the one where Rickman delivers that catchphrase sincerely. It's #15 on my list.

A system of cells interlinked
Love Holden's idea - sounds fun!

Finally, a chance to bring that annoying bearded guy in The Boondock Saints the glory he deserves...

Ok, not that guy.

Okay, I think the list should be right now. This leads to some out-of-order weirdness for posterity, but I think the list early on and the actual numbers on each post should be right now.

Coin flip I missed something, though, so let me know if I did. Via PM, please: would rather not clutter up this thread with tech stuff.

Iderno, The Titfield Thunderbolt still appears to be missing from the list

Oh, sorry - missed the 'via PM' part

233 points, 17 lists
This Is Spinal Tap
Director

Rob Reiner, 1984

Starring

Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Harry Shearer, Rob Reiner

Why couldn't you have done three today? Same premise, breaking the two-a-day to get it back on track. I once did six reveals in a day when I was going away for the weekend. Two a day is a tradition, not a rule punishable by law.

Anywho.

Reply to Topic