The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Didn’t like The Blues Brothers much apart from a few highlights. Overall I wasn’t a fan.

And well… despite the holy hailing of the Python people, I’m not really a fan of them either. That said, Life of Brian is one of them I like more. Even more so than their most popular outing, which will probably pop up higher up on the list.

It’s funny though, cause I generally love British humor. Their comedy is great. But Monty Python has never been something I’ve found hilarious. But I understand the appeal and I acknowledge their place in comedy. And again, some of their stuff is great. But overall it doesn’t work that well for me.

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules
Yeah Cary Grant and Kate Hepburn are way good in that. I'm trying to think who else might have been able to handle the dialogue like they did? The film definitely benefits from their A-list star power
Powell and Loy.

Also Irene Dunne spars fabulously with Grant in another of my favorite comedies that will apparently not make this list, The Awful Truth.
Yup Powell and Loy was the first acting pair to come to my mind and they were leading actors of the time. Love Irene Dunne. I could see my favorite comedian Carole Lombard paired with William Powell in the leads of Bringing up Baby.

Victim of The Night
I sat down and watched The Blues Brothers properly one afternoon - but I'd kind of felt indifferent about it all of my life, and it didn't immediately become a film I loved. I don't know what it was, but Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi in those suits and glasses, singing the blues etc - it never struck me as funny. It never struck me as cool or awesome either. So I was left to never really get the joke, or anything else about The Blues Brothers. It's yet another film my friends loved that I could never figure.

I'm pretty surprised by my #12, Life of Brian, not cracking the top 10. I guess it's not as all out zany as Holy Grail, and as such comes second to that film of Monty Python's, but I consider Life of Brian just as good. It's also a pretty brave film, because all members must known that it might shake up a little controversy. The thing is about Brian, it doesn't put down religion itself or Jesus as much as people who just blindly run around following gurus and joining crusades. Brian just wants peace - and the girl - but he ends up tangled up in both pseudo-religious antics along with screwy politics, because he wants the girl. Woven into the story is all of the usual Pythonesque humour, which is some of the funniest comedic stuff ever. Monty Python were the Beatles of comedy.
You are wrong, of course, about The Blues Brothers, but I'm with you on Life Of Brian, I figured that would be in the top-20.

Victim of The Night
The Life of Brian being ranked below Holy Grail was an inevitable and objectively wrong fate. Life of Brian is the substantially better movie. Life of Brian is the substantially funnier movie. Holy Grail is a legend and there is a reason it is remembered more fondly (as mentioned, its quotes and gags have entered the public consciousness where Brian's really have not). But **** popularity. This is nearly as tragically wrong as any Adam Sandler making this list.
It appears to be time for our one monthly agreement.
I know LoB is a better movie. I also knew that Grail would be higher, inevitably, as you say.
Though I guess I think both movies are so ******* funny I can't get too worked up about it.

And I raised a bit of an eyebrow at how low it was.
I thought it would make the top 15, possibly even higher.
Raising Arizona is virtually unheard of in lists of Nicholas Cage movies. When people think of Nick Cage they usually reach for one of his more well-known movies like Face/Off, Lord of War, or whatever most recent drek he's roped himself into.

He's mainly known for unintentionally comedic roles, not intentionally comedic roles.

The Blues Brothers (1980)

I love that photo...and what a great movie! There's so much to like in The Blues Brothers that I don't know where to start? Maybe I need a cold brew and some dark shades to get into the mood I'll be back...

OK so I got a cold beer, but my shades are reading glasses so that I can see what the hell it is that I'm typing. So much for me being the third Blues Brother

...I'm old enough that I remember watching John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd on Saturday Night Live doing their Blues Brothers for the very first time. I remember they sang with the SNL house band. But I don't remember them doing any skits as the Blues Brothers. So obviously for me this movie earns high nostalgia points. But more than that I've always thought the Blues Brothers were just flat out cool, so how could I not like the movie?

Then there's the: OMG moment when you realize just how much R&B talent there is in the movie. We get to see and hear James Brown performing, then Aretha Franklin and my two favorites John Lee Hooker who performs on the street and Cab Calloway doing his big hit Minnie the Moocher. For all that talent, this film deserves to be in the countdown.

But wait!...there's more...The more is all those guest stars, one right after another. Way too many to list, but half the fun is just spotting the talent like Paul Rubens aka Pee Wee Herman as a waiter. And it was so cool seeing Carrie Fisher. I really like her and yet I'm not a Star Wars fan. I wish she would've had a bigger career, but at least we get to see her wielding some bad ass weapons of mass destruction!

Hey did you know The Blues Brothers movie was a musical? Surprise! and you thought you didn't like musicals

What about all those action car chase wreck scenes, talk about huge! talk about dangerous! talk about impressive! Geez, they actually drove a stunt car at over 100mphs on the street and then drove through an abandoned mall and smashed up the stores. OMG, there's some way impressive stunt work being done in this movie.

Victim of The Night
The Blues Brothers is one of the movies I will watch if I only have a week to live. It makes me laugh and it makes me happy. If it wasn't one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, and it is, I would love it just for the music and the music "performances". The "Shake A Tail Feather" scene is worth the whole run-time for me.

In fact, I am a happier person right now because I just re-watched this scene before posting it. It was also this scene that caused me to love dance. And I'm a helluva dancer.

It was No. 13 on my list.

Life Of Brian is also one of the funniest things I've ever seen. It might very well be the single funniest movie ever made. It's just hard to parse them all at this point.
Blessed are the cheese-makers.

No.16.

Victim of The Night
Raising Arizona is virtually unheard of in lists of Nicholas Cage movies. When people think of Nick Cage they usually reach for one of his more well-known movies like Face/Off, Lord of War, or whatever most recent drek he's roped himself into.

He's mainly known for unintentionally comedic roles, not intentionally comedic roles.

Yes, but he also made the masterpiece that is known as Raising Arizona.
And Valley Girl is great.
When they attack the car, save the radio.

Welcome to the human race...
One vote. The Blues Brothers was my #1. A favourite since childhood (I guess my parents thought what little R-rated content is in this movie - a curse word here, a used condom there - would simply go over my head) and a film that has finished in the top 2 of both my 2005 and 2013 countdowns (where will it place in 2022? tune in to find out!) even though I will readily admit that it's a very shaggy excuse for a comedy (but, as noted, it's Landis). Still, its mix of eclectic characters, funny gags, and excellent music has helped to grant it a staying power that most of my other erstwhile favourites seem to lack so here it is. One such erstwhile favourite is Life of Brian, which made my 2005 list but which didn't really hold up for me on my most recent viewing a few years back.

Victim of The Night

The Blues Brothers (1980)

I love that photo...and what a great movie! There's so much to like in The Blues Brothers that I don't know where to start? Maybe I need a cold brew and some dark shades to get into the mood I'll be back...

OK so I got a cold beer, but my shades are reading glasses so that I can see what the hell it is that I'm typing. So much for me being the third Blues Brother

...I'm old enough that I remember watching John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd on Saturday Night Live doing their Blues Brothers for the very first time. I remember they sang with the SNL house band. But I don't remember them doing any skits as the Blues Brothers. So obviously for me this movie earns high nostalgia points. But more than that I've always thought the Blues Brothers were just flat out cool, so how could I not like the movie?

Then there's the: OMG moment when you realize just how much R&B talent there is in the movie. We get to see and hear James Brown performing, then Aretha Franklin and my two favorites John Lee Hooker who performs on the street and Cab Calloway doing his big hit Minnie the Moocher. For all that talent, this film deserves to be in the countdown.

But wait!...there's more...The more is all those guest stars, one right after another. Way too many to list, but half the fun is just spotting the talent like Paul Rubens aka Pee Wee Herman as a waiter. And it was so cool seeing Carrie Fisher. I really like her and yet I'm not a Star Wars fan. I wish she would've had a bigger career, but at least we get to see her wielding some bad ass weapons of mass destruction!

Hey did you know The Blues Brothers movie was a musical? Surprise! and you thought you didn't like musicals

What about all those action car chase wreck scenes, talk about huge! talk about dangerous! talk about impressive! Geez, they actually drove a stunt car at over 100mphs on the street and then drove through an abandoned mall and smashed up the stores. OMG, there's some way impressive stunt work being done in this movie.
This is all true.
You can't argue with the facts.

I haven't seen The Blues Brothers. Life of Brian was in contention for my ballot, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the last cuts.

Victim of The Night
The Blues Brothers

I was gonna say the sister was one of the funniest scenes in the movie but then the other two scenes I had the same reaction so I realized there was no point.

"Ow, you fat penguin! Aigh!"
"I hate Illinois Nazis."
"I've always loved you."

https://www.filmspotting.net/top-5-l...ces-j26z-pkpwm

ETA: Raising Arizona presumably got on here more from people thinking of which Coen movies they find the funniest, and less so as people trying to think up their favorite Nic Cage movies.

I had hopes when Being John Malkovich showed up that Adaptation. would also make an appearance, but I can't imagine it would placed that might much higher than Malkovich, so I'm guessing it didn't make the list.

"Cheer up, Brian, you know what they say: some things in life are bad They can really make you mad. Other things just make you swear and curse. When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble; give a whistle, and this'll help things turn out for the best. And... always look on the bright side of life...”

#20 is waaay too low for Life of Brian. Anyway, I had it as my #2 comedy. I've seen it bunches of time and it never fails to crack me up.

My List:
2. Life of Brian (#20)
3. The Jerk (#24)
4. Playtime (#48)
8. Being John Malkovich (#44)
12. The Apartment (#29)
13. Modern Times (#39)
16. Bringing Up Baby (#22)
21. One, Two, Three (#85)
22. Beetlejuice (#78)
24. Sullivan's Travels (#100)

To this day, I haven't seen Blues Brothers, even though one of my older brothers was a huge fan.

Life of Brian I saw last year, I think for the first time, and I absolutely loved it. Just like in Holy Grail, the Monty Python troupe have a thing for mixing the silly and absurd, with the really clever and more pointed satire, and I think it is here where they show it best (I prefer this to Holy Grail). When the townspeople follow Brian to the mountain and start harrassing him, I pretty much lost it. Had to pause to laugh and that doesn't happen often nowadays. Here's a bit I wrote about it...

"In typical Monty Python fashion, the film features its ensemble cast playing numerous roles, while taking jabs at organized religion and institutions, among many other things. The group manages a great mix of silly and clever jokes, with doses of absurdity all through. To that effect, I was really surprised at how many of the jokes really land. The peak for me was the whole sequence when the crowd harasses and pursues Brian to the mountain, resulting in some great exchanges that highlight the somewhat contradictory nature of religion."
So yeah, it was my #12.

Seen: 59/82

My ballot:  

EDIT: It's been a long time since I've seen Life of Brian, there are other Monty Python movies I've seen many more times.
There are only three Monty Python movies (Holy Grail, Life of Brian, and Meaning of Life) plus And Now for Something Completely Different, their first cinematic outing which was remakes of some of their best bits from the first two seasons of "Monty Python's Flying Circus".
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra