Portrayal of the Character's Emotional State with editing

Tools    

Zan
Hello,

I'm studying film and television editing and in my Master's thesis I'm focusing on film time: the way we show the passing of time in films in order to portray the characters' subjective perception of time and their emotional state.

One film that I have already analyzed is Requiem for a Dream by Darren Aronofsky, where the montage sequences in which characters are taking drugs have a deeper meaning besides being aesthetically pleasing and creative. The characters all have a dream that they cannot achieve, becase they are lost in their endless routine, from which they cannot escape. The type of fast, repetitive (could maybe also call it leitmotif) editing is one of the key elements to portray their emotional states and their subjective perception of time during their rituals.

I am looking for similar examples in other films, where an emotional state or subjective perception of time is portrayed mainly with editing and would really appreciate your suggestions.

Kind regards

I thought of these (time and/or emotion):

Welcome to the human race...
There's this movie from the '60s called Two for the Road where Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn play a married couple and it jumps back and forth in time as they go on road trips together to show how different they are at various stages in their lives - one example involves the younger version of Finney's character promising to always pick up hitchhikers while the older version drives past one without a second thought (or something to that effect).

One of the most famous and enduringly influential is the breakfast montage in Citizen Kane showing the deterioration of a marriage in only what is displayed in their behavior and dialogue at the table.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

There's this movie from the '60s called Two for the Road where Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn play a married couple and it jumps back and forth in time as they go on road trips together to show how different they are at various stages in their lives - one example involves the younger version of Finney's character promising to always pick up hitchhikers while the older version drives past one without a second thought (or something to that effect).

I love Two for the Road