Music-wise, What's Your Latest Discovery?

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
A friend in N. Ireland just sent me a cd of a band called Muse.
I am totally blown away. The songs are really great and the musicianship of the band members is head and shoulders above 95% of what I hear on the radio (maybe partly because radio in LA sucks moose). They're sort of the midpoint between Radiohead and Queen, musically.

Is anybody else a fan of this band?

What's the latest music to grab you?

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelila
I am totally blown away. The songs are really great and the musicianship of the band members is head and shoulders above 95% of what I hear on the radio (maybe partly because radio in LA sucks moose). They're sort of the midpoint between Radiohead and Queen, musically.

I just checked out Muse from your recommendation yesterday.

Very very nice! I love the music.

I never sucked a moose, though I do like Radiohead.

And you Sam are one of a kind. Please run away with me!!!

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Latest music to grab me:

Nellie McKay - mere words can not describe how odd her music is, it's just incredible. imagine, say, tori amos with a sense of humor doing early 60's style lounge jazz with a hint of eminem and you still aren't close to how this sounds. haha. Seriously, the coolest cd i can think of right now.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Theres the publicly popular Scissor Sisters, they've got a fun sound.

The Dandy Warhols CD Welcome to the Monkey House.

If you like emo, Brand New is a band I've gotten rather found of. I've had their cd for a while but only just now started really loving it. If you want just a specific song, get Okay, I believe You but my Tommy Gun Don't.

I got an older CD from my girlfriend of a band she saw on a sidestage called Home Town Hero and it has become one of my all time favorite CDs. Man they rule. They have a new CD out, which you can sample on their site and it sounds no where near as good as their first, self-titled CD.

I'll just go ahead and make a list of some of my favorite songs of some more recent bands (within the last two years).

(softer)
Rainer Maria - Long Knives or The Awful Truth of Loving
Mates of State - A Duel Will Settle This
Punchline - Why is he Right?
Blindside - Shekina
Death Cab for Cutie - Title and Registration or Expo '86.

(rock)
Boy Hits Car - Going to India, I am a Cloud, or As I Watch the Sun **** the Ocean
Underoath - Reinventing Your Exit
Blindside - Where the Sun Never Dies

(heavier)
Dry Kill Logic - As Thick as Thieves
Hypnotic Face - The End of Sanity
Vitamin F - Something

(techno or hip hop)
Tsunami Bros - Hands Like Bombs
Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegetarians
Atmopshere - The Woman With the Tattooed Hands or Don't Ever ****in' Question That

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Yoda
Someone introduced me to The Beta Band awhile ago. Very unusual sound, but I like it. I read that they recently broke up, however.

I saw the video for Outside... I know what you mean about the unusual sound... but I like it too.

Sounds kind of like the Eels

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
I just checked out Muse from your recommendation yesterday.

Very very nice! I love the music.

I never sucked a moose, though I do like Radiohead.

And you Sam are one of a kind. Please run away with me!!!
awww, thanks!
I'm glad you like them!
Sucking moose is best left to the pros in LA radio anyway.

Monkeypunch~ I have heard of Nellie MacKay. I tried dl-ing some of her stuff and every single file comes up empty. You're the second person to recommend her, though, so I'll see if I can find a cd. Your description sounds fun.

Yoda~ never heard of those guys. I like unusual sounds, though.

OG~ wow! Lots of selections. Thanks for the info!

wow just found this thread id love to give a more detailed write up but im on my way out check out these bands/songs in the meanwhile

zero7-home
zoot woman- grey day
stephen malkmus-1% of one
anything by the sneakerpimps
rob dougan-born yesterday
le tigre- my my metrocard
death in vegas-scorpio rising
bonobo- noctuary, scuba
amon tobin- slowly
!!! (chk chk chk)-kookooka fuk-u

thats about all i can think of for now, tell me what you think

oh yeah and most things by lamb

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelila

Been a Muse fan for a while now, and I just recently saw them with The Cure. Muse was the best act of the night, IMO.

As for what is new for me, well let's check out..

Some of it is a a bit pop-ish, but it is quite eclectic really.

Originally Posted by OG-
Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegetarians

I have a lot of Infected on vinyl, do you listen to any other psy-trance?

big psy fan over here

Originally Posted by Sedai
I have a lot of Infected on vinyl, do you listen to any other psy-trance?

big psy fan over here
Not a huge amount. I have Infected Mushroom's 4 CDs since '99. I have a hard time classifying different electronica type music...but I listen to Hallucinogen, Juno Reactor, Protman, DJ Cut Chemist and thats about it for what you could call psy-trance.

I ate all your bees.
I knew about Muse back in 2002 Great band though. Look out for the songs 'Muscle Museum', 'New born', 'Time is Running Out and 'Plug in Baby'. They're some of my fav's. Recently I have been getting into Oasis, I knew about them for a long time but never really listened to them.

Three bands in particular come to mind.

Minus the Bear - These guys are a lot of fun. Their guitars have an incredible dream like quality, as do their entire sound really. They may sound serious but with song titles such as "Monkey!!! Knife!!! Fight!!!", "Booyah Achieved", and "Hey, Wanna Throw Up?", you realize that they have a pretty good sense of humour.

and 2 bands from my hometown (well sort of)

Junkie Rush - Saw these guys live about a year ago and they friggin blew me away. Their sound can be described as Latin/Reggae/Metal/Funk with lots of awesome instrumental work. Lots of percussion, and their guitarist is insanely fast.

Boxelder - When I first heard these guys I could hardly believe my ears. They're not a big band by any means, I don't even know if they're signed to label. Nevertheless I saw a live cd of theirs at Best Buy one day recorded in a small club in downtown Orlando, and this is one of the absolute best live albums I've ever heard. The recording quality is better than some studio recordings I've heard. Great reggae/rock band.

Originally Posted by OG-
!!! - Intensify was a song I couldn't stop playing for months! I think you can still download it for free.... http://www.insound.com/mp3/searchmp3...0chick%20chick
indeed
allright ill give a bit bigger list now by category

rock/all the harder music i listen to
Adema
Apartment 26
at the drive in
janes addiction
Mike Ness
murder by death
muse
NIN
Rammstein
sparta
stephen malkmus/ more folky than anything else but whatever
soad
the mars volta
tool

Softer music
afro celt sound system
cold play
cafe del mar
death in vegas/almost electronica but not quite
cary brothers
GYBE
interpol
mazzy star
miles davis
mogwai
morcheeba
nick drake
nusra fateh ali khan
pedro the lion
primitive radio gods
radiohead
rob dougan
remy zero
sneakerpimps (unreal band)
the shins
travis
zero 7

Electronica

!!! -i dunno what else to classify this as other than experimental
amon tobin
bonobo
curve
dj dange mouse
dj keoki
dj Krush
dj Micro
dj Shadow
fatboyslim
fc kahuna
frou frou
hednoize
hooverphonic
the organ
scissor sisters
thievery corporation
Zoot woman

Rap

Atmosphere
black album
old wu tang
easy e

dunno much else thats worth listing rap wise

theres a slew more but i would need to remember what they are and they arent on my computer right now

also check out a program called gnoosic www.gnoosic.com
its a really good site for finding new and unheard of music

A novel adaptation.
Sounds like someone has similar tastes to the soundtrack of that tragically, whiningly hip Garden State, but managed to miss Iron and Wine, far and away the best band that were to appear.

Anyways, I just recently started listening to the mildly insincere Joanna Newsom, and have learned to quite enjoy that Augie March that you Aussies export.

Originally Posted by Herod
Sounds like someone has similar tastes to the soundtrack of that tragically, whiningly hip Garden State, but managed to miss Iron and Wine, far and away the best band that were to appear.
Garden State's soundtrack was a sampling of Tower Records and Hot Topic combined. Yet I'm tired of people crying that because something is "hip" or popular that it is bad.

Anyways, another band to check out would be Q and not U.

Originally Posted by OG-
Looks like Casa and I have alot of the same tastes.
lol that just means you got really good taste , any bands you think i should check out?

Originally Posted by casa
lol that just means you got really good taste , any bands you think i should check out?
Well heres where I put my foot in my mouth by suggesting nothing you like, but here ya go. I'd recommend all the bands, but here are some songs for sampling. I'll even do a little coding...bold will be something everyone can like, underlined will be something you shouldn't miss, and italics will be something a little heavier (either instrumentally or vocally), and normal anything I'm undecided on. I love recommending music way too much.

Dream Theater - Home
Boy Hits Car (already mentioned)
Ultraspank - Perfect, Crumble
McLusky - To Hell With Good Intentions
Stretch Armstrong - For Now
One Minute Silence - On Deaf Ears
Spineshank - New Disease
Snot - Snot, Snooze Button
Society One - Thinking is the Link
Professional Murder Music - Slow
P O W D E R B U R N - Now You Know, Release the Men
My Chemical Romance - Demoltion Lovers
A Static Lullaby - The Shotting Star that Destroyed us All
Machinehead - Message in a Bottle
Finch - Ender
Crossbreed - Pure Energy

Then there is the band that I recommend to everyone - and people either love em or hate em: Mindless Self Indulgence. If interested get...Bring the Pain...I Hate Jimmy Paige...Bitches...Unsociable...Planet of the Apes...Backmask...anything really. If anyone ever gets the chance to see MSI Live, even if you don't like the music, sell your organs to do so. It is insane.