Things You Just Found Out/Learned Recently?

Tools    

Sloopy is a person. Therefore a noun, not an adverb.
When I was a kid I realized it was a person's name (as is made clear by the rest of the lyrics), but since it was a name I didn't recognize, I thought it was about Charlie Brown's dog Snoopy and they were just pronouncing it wrong!

So I'd sing along substituting Snoopy for Sloopy!

I literally just asked my girlfriend the other day if it was Sloopy or Snoopy, and no resolution came.

Clearly we went out of the house without our cellphones that day.

Also, I just found out that Jack Nicholson is 85 years old.
So he's on death-watch.
Lordy, cheerful way to put it.

One funny thing about this video is the guy incorporates a line provided by Richard Donner (in a documentary) as he was commenting on John Williams' Superman theme the first time he heard it. Donner said something like, "You can hear it in the song... 'SUPERMAN!' ...it's just how it sounds!"

Victim of The Night
Lordy, cheerful way to put it.
Well, we keep losing all these living legends that were in their heyday in the 70s and I just learned that he could be coming up.

The fact that Tarantino's movie is actually entitled "Inglourious Basterds". I had noticed "Basterds", but I had thought it was "Inglorious".

The fact that Tarantino's movie is actually entitled "Inglourious Basterds". I had noticed "Basterds", but I had thought it was "Inglorious".
I wonder why they spelled it the British way?

I lived in America forever before I realized “glamour” is always spelled in the British way rather than “glamor”. Strange.

This is kind of general - but as I'm searching IMDB to see who was who in an old movie, I'll click on names, and I'm always astounded at how many people (even 2nd & 3rd string actors) had their own shows in the 50's, 60's & 70's!

Some are names and shows no one even remembers - yet somehow producers felt the "stars" were well-known enough to have their name grace a TV show's title. These were usually variety shows, hosted by either actors, radio personalities or singers. (Maybe I'll start a new thread to list forgotten TV variety shows named for forgotten celebrities).

This is kind of general - but as I'm searching IMDB to see who was who in an old movie, I'll click on names, and I'm always astounded at how many people (even 2nd & 3rd string actors) had their own shows in the 50's, 60's & 70's!

Some are names and shows no one even remembers - yet somehow producers felt the "stars" were well-known enough to have their name grace a TV show's title. These were usually variety shows, hosted by either actors, radio personalities or singers. (Maybe I'll start a new thread to list forgotten TV variety shows named for forgotten celebrities).
You and me both! I've noticed that too. You mention this guy recently and yes he had his own show:

You and me both! I've noticed that too, and I'm like really so-so had their own show back in the day. You mention this guy recently and yes he had his own show:
It's funny - I even looked this up on Wikipedia and they have listings of variety shows by decade... BUT they don't list many that I learned about (not sure what their criteria is, but maybe they don't list ones that didn't last more than one season?).

For instance: The Jack Carson Show (1954). I learned about this guy because I thought he might be the same guy who played "Mr. B." on the old Hazel show when I saw him in a movie called Romance on the High Seas (1948)... but in that SAME movie I spotted the guy who DID play "Mr. B." (His name was Don DeFore and the two actors were similar looking).
"The Jack Carson Show" did not make Wiki's list under the 1950's.

It's funny - I even looked this up on Wikipedia and they have listings of variety shows per decade... BUT they don't list many that I learned about (not sure what their criteria is, but maybe they don't list ones that didn't last more than one season?).

For instance: The Jack Carson Show (1954). I learned about this guy because I thought he might be the same guy who played 'Mr. B." on the old Hazel show when I saw him in a movie called Romance on the High Seas (1948)... but in that SAME movie I spotted the guy who DID play "Mr. B." (His name was Don DeFore and the two actors were similar looking).
"The Jack Carson Show" did not make Wiki's list under the 1950's.
I'd run across The Jack Carson Show at one time too when I was looking to see what movies he was in. BTW he's always good in the movies and in Romance on the High Seas. We might need a thread for actors who had their own shows named after them!

Dick Powell's wife June Allyson also had her own TV show
The DuPont Show with June Allyson (TV Series) 1959

I'd run across The Jack Carson Show at one time too when I was looking to see what movies he was in. BTW he's always good in the movies and in Romance on the High Seas. We might need a thread for actors who had their own shows named after them!

Dick Powell's wife June Allyson also had her own TV show
The DuPont Show with June Allyson (TV Series) 1959
I JUST learned (just now) that Dick Powell (not to be confused with William Powell) was married to June Allyson (and that she also had her own show)!

Another similar phenomenon is: whenever I look up older actors (not the major super-duper stars, but the 2nd string actors) who were still alive in the 70's & 80's, so many of them will have an entry in their IMDB listing for the Love Boat, and then, nearby it, an entry for Fantasy Island!

Not all, obviously, but so many of them, especially if their careers were ebbing but they were still able to perform.

I just learned 30 minutes ago that Franco Nero did not do his own singing in the 1967 movie Camelot. For 54 years I thought he did. It was dubbed by Gene Merlino, still alive at 92 yrs old.
Trivia question: Franco Nero had a child with a famous actress. Many many years later they finally married. Do you know who the actress is? (Both still alive btw.)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It still blows my mind that Richard Ng and Stanley Fung are not the same person.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.