The Movie Forums Top 130 Albums Countdown

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
Pleased to see this, but I think I voted for the first RTJ album. This might be the better album, but I listened to the first one more and I saw them in concert before the second one came out. In fact, I saw them during the lead up to the second album. They had released "Close Your Eyes (and Count to F*ck) like the day before, or something like that. Then they played it at the show and the crowd of which I was part of went nuts. Good times.

Never really been able to get into R.E.M., but "Losing My Religion" has always worked for me because I like singing along to it.
Same. Apart from the odd song here and there, I couldn't get into REM. Felt like I was the only one who did't get it...

Joy Division wasn't really a thing in America, right? Cause I didn't really know about them until the movie.
Part of the reason it's speculated Curtis killed himself was because they were supposed to tour America and there was no way he could do it with how bad his epilepsy was. So yeah, they never toured America which is why i don't think they've ever been that big there. New Order would be bigger probably.

Welcome to the human race...
Closer and Murmur are both solid, great albums - still didn't even consider voting for them, though.

Run the Jewels 2 is top 100 material for me. Their best album so far (refines the first one, tighter than the third one).

Master of My Domain
Wow, I already have a lot to post about already...

To Pimp a Butterfly is my #3.

Kendrick is a one-in-a-generation artist, and I'm glad to be living in an era where his musical output is prolific and consistently mind-blowing. Good Kid and DAMN are both fantastic albums, but his sophomoric effort will always be my favorite. Why? Because it cured my ignorant fear of hip-hop.

A few years ago, I absolutely hated hip-hop. Hated hated hated it. Hell, for a while, U Can't Touch This was one of my favorite songs in the genre, simply because it had a poppy, retro feel to it. So I don't even know how I even clicked on TPAB, though I hazily remember Rolling Stone Magazine's glowing review. Well, after the first few tracks, my world turned upside down. I realized that hip-hop could be rich in musicality and complex in its thematic statements. Just listen to the way Kendrick effortlessly blends jazz and funk riffs and beats, which are rarely heard in modern hip-hop, with poignant lyrics about self-reflection and the glossy but corrupted world that surrounds him. He's a god damn storyteller, like a medieval bard who, instead of going from castle to castle, travels through the Southern California area he grew up in.

After that euphoric experience, for a while I only listened to acclaimed hip-hop albums. Out of those albums, some of them are good, and some of them are great, but none of them are as good as TPAB. Thank you Kendrick. I mean it.

(I know this gif is from a Doolittle-era video, but screw it. )

Surfer Rosa is my #43.

The Pixies is one my favorite bands, and is basically what you get if you throw Buddy Holly and post-punk records into a boiling pot of hard drugs, so yeah, brilliant stuff. I've always loved how to-the-point they are; most of the songs on Surfer Rosa are about two minutes longs, with no time wasted on extended riffs or ear-worm choruses. An explosive drum track, Francis Black's snarly, gasping voice, and an immediately catchy guitar riff or two is all you get per song, but really, that's all you need.

Listening to them, it's shockingly easy to realize their influence on 90s grunge and alternative rock music. It's a blessing and a curse at the same time. If they came out with Surfer Rosa during the early 90s, all cylinders blazing, they would have absolute superstars. At the same time, their untimely activity during the 80s is why we call The Pixies innovators.

They(JD) really influential tho' and "one of that band' that also spark so many clones, so chances ppl already heard their genes of music here and there

Oh and by the way, I really didn't like Kendrick the first several times I heard parts of his songs. I didn't get it. I didn't know why he was doing weird things with his voice. I thought it was a gimmick. Then one day I listened to "Swimming Pools" and I was hooked.

Voted for a different, more obvious Floyd album because I wanted to rep them and give them the best chance at securing a high placement. I still plan on listening to everything they've put out, but I'm lacking in some departments. I'm pretty sure I've heard this one, but it's not as imprinted on my brain as a couple others.

Pink Floyd is one of the BIG names I've never been able to get into. There are good parts in their songs but too often they sound (to me) like pointless meandering. Probably I just like more structured songs.

Voted for a different, more obvious Floyd album because I wanted to rep them and give them the best chance at securing a high placement. I still plan on listening to everything they've put out, but I'm lacking in some departments. I'm pretty sure I've heard this one, but it's not as imprinted on my brain as a couple others.
I didn't think much of it until around my 20th listen by which time my appreciation for a different better performing Album was plummeting.

Master of My Domain
I've probably never heard of Meddle. And like JJ, I voted for a different Pink Floyd album.

I keep remembering things I didn't vote for, and it pisses me off every time. I might not be happy again until the countdown is over with. Sorry, fans of Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables.