Lucio Fulci

Tools    

@cat_sidhe only mentioning you because i think you are the biggest champion of Fulci and Italian Horror in general around here, feel free to respond or not of course just think your contribution would be interesting.

Going to watch Don't Torture A Duckling in about an hour and it'd be cool if you guys posted what you like or dislike about Fulci, it's only my fifth of his and i dunno he really interests me plus we should make more director threads around here.

Also what's the deal with the dub not being that much worse than the original Audio in Italian Horrors from this era, it's always weirdly offputting unless it's Argento and i have more problems with him than any of the others i've tried. I always go Italian anyway but i swear it's much worse than Spaghetti Westerns. Certainly not a deal breaker and i've got more used to it the more i've seen, still it can be the worst during certain scenes that are supposed to be intense or whatever and it just comes across ridiculous due to the horrible audio, always amazing soundtracks as well!

Zombi 2 is a great film. The New York Ripper is quite intense too.

Ok, I'm not entirely sure I can explain what it is with the correct words but I'll try.

For me it's never really been about the acting or the plots (I only need a basic plot for all that to happen. There's just something about the atmosphere and execution that has an identity of its own. Hits all the right right spots for me. It just feels alive to me. Electric.

And the gore. So much eye impalement. Very OTT, uncomfortable and in your face and yet artistic. Unsafe. Of course, I love the soundtracks too, they're always fantastic. I have a personal story about some of that.

Sorry I can't articulate very well right now.

Fulci movies were a staple of the horror all-nighters my local cinema used to run during my youth/adolescence/youngmanship - naturally I have an affinity for them.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I rep Fulci every day with my Zombie wallet.
You are a man in need of few wors, young Mr Swan (I'm going to reply today to everyoe with 'young'. Why? because it makes me happy.

Very cool avatar!!!

Sorry I can't articulate very well right now.
Nah, i get it. I watched Don't Torture A Duckling and quite liked it but i couldn't post my thoughts if i wanted to. So far New York Ripper is my favourite, it's just so insanely sleazy and nasty, i think i could forgive the usual corniness in that more than the others since the killer had a duck voice haha, it just made it all fit together. The Beyond was pretty great too, total insanity. The others are meh to pretty good so far, i don't love him yet at least but he's definitely interesting.

Going to watch City of the Living Dead soon, pretty sure that's Swan's favourite, or maybe it was JJ's? I dunno, it's someone here's favourite anyway so i've always had it in mind.

Nah, i get it. I watched Don't Torture A Duckling and quite liked it but i couldn't post my thoughts if i wanted to. So far New York Ripper is my favourite, it's just so insanely sleazy and nasty, i think i could forgive the usual corniness in that more than the others since the killer had a duck voice haha, it just made it all fit together. The Beyond was pretty great too, total insanity. The others are meh to pretty good so far, i don't love him yet at least but he's definitely interesting.

Going to watch City of the Living Dead soon, pretty sure that's Swan's favourite, or maybe it was JJ's? I dunno, it's someone here's favourite anyway so i've always had it in mind.
Going to rewatch Duckling again soon during an evening of 3 of us all picking a movie we think the others would like,and watch them all in one night. It's always hovering as a fav Fulci (can NOT pick a fav of my BABIES! yes, I love even the **** Fulcis because, well, I just loooove Fulci ) as it dealt a couple of no-no's in an uncomfortable way, and, actually, all his movies feel personal. As in, you can kind of tell how Fulci was, feeling at the time.

Oh man, The Beyond. So much awesome in one film.

We actually listened to the New York Ripper soundtrack last night while eating dinner.

I love all the Fulci's mentioned so far. I've been on a bit of a giallo and old slasher run lately, so a Fulci marathon is probably in the cards for me this summer.

as it dealt a couple of no-no's in an uncomfortable way,
Yeah, dang.
WARNING: "Duckling" spoilers below
The scene in Duckling with what's her name naked (i dunno jokingly? not that it matters she was still naked with a like 7 year old kid ) trying to seduce the young boy was just flat out wrong tbh, kinda made me feel that Fulci was a gross POS.
Still i'm interested in seeing his other work.

Fulci is great. But I am more of a Bava fan.