Directed By Women Recommendations

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I rarely know who directs what because I don't care, however, surely this was Danny Boyle?
Loveleen Tandan was co director.

Alright, I've refined my list not to include co-directing credits:

Elaine May - A New Leaf (1971), Mikey and Nicky (1976)

Joan Micklin Silver - Hester Street (1975)

Amy Heckerling - Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

Penelope Spheeris - Suburbia (1983), Wayne's World (1992)

Lynne Littman - Testament (1983)

Nadia Tass - Malcolm (1986)

Kathryn Bigelow - Near Dark (1987), Point Break (1991), Strange Days (1995), The Hurt Locker (2008), Zero Dark Thirty (2012), Detroit (2017)

Penny Marshall - Big (1988), Awakenings (1990), A League of Their Own (1992)

Lynne Ramsay - Ratcatcher (1999), We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011), You Were Never Really Here (2017)

Sofia Coppola - The Virgin Suicides (1999), Lost in Translation (2003)

Julie Taymor - Titus (1999), Frida (2002), Across the Universe (2007)

Hilary Birmingham - Tully (2000)

Jill Sprecher - Thirteen Conversations About One Thing (2001)

Niki Caro - Whale Rider (2002), North Country (2005), McFarland, USA (2015), The Zookeeper's Wife (2017)

Patty Jenkins - Monster (2003), Wonder Woman (2017)

Shainee Gabel - A Love Song for Bobby Long (2004)

Courtney Hunt - Frozen River (2008)

Elissa Down - The Black Balloon (2008)

Andrea Arnold - Fish Tank (2009), American Honey (2016)

Jennifer Yuh Nelson - Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011)

Dee Rees - Pariah (2011), Mudbound (2017)

Ava DuVernay - Selma (2014)

Kelly Fremon Craig - The Edge of Seventeen (2016)

Greta Gerwig - Lady Bird (2017)

Angela Robinson - Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (2017)

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I don't think a movie is more or less significant if it's directed by a woman or not. Who cares about the gender of the director?

y'all wanna hook me up with some short film recommendations from female directors?
I liked this from Varda. It's just her filming a Black Panther rally though if you're more looking for fictional films, plus it's on the line between short and feature length wise.

Gasman since you like Ramsay, haven't seen any of her other short films:

Wasp by Andrea Arnold:

Will try and come up with more later haven't seen that many. There's also Sofia Coppola's debut Lick The Star but that's more interesting if you are familiar with her work than it is good.

y'all wanna hook me up with some short film recommendations from female directors?
Cherien Dabis, has made several shorts and a couple films, Amreeka (2009) being the best known.

I've only seen one of her short films Make a Wish (2006) It's a Palestinian film about two sisters going out into the dangerous occupied land to buy of all things a birthday cake for their mom. That might sound sappy, but it's not. I thought it was excellent.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
In Her Skin
AKA
I Am You

Director: Simone North. Producer, writer and director
Based on the real life disappearance and murder of 15 year old Rachel Barber in Melbourne Australia

Through my eyes

Director: Simone North .
Mini series based on the baby Azaria Chamberlain disappearance at Uluru in 1980.

India's Daughter

Director: Leslie Udwin
BBC documentary based on the 2012 gang rape and murder of Jyoti Singh in Delhi.

Couple of others i haven't actually seen but that are supposed to be good:

I just deleted my repost of this when I realized it was already mentioned. But I second it. Creepy and surreal 13 mins. Making my list.

Here's a better quality version. Kitchen Sink (1989):

Another short from Andrea Arnold. This ones pretty brutal. I like it better than Wasp and Milk. And I can see where she was playing with and developing her approach for Fish Tank.

Also interesting and pretty dark is Rose McGowan's Dawn (yes that Rose McGowan...)

Icíar Bollaín - eg: Te doy mis ojos

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0350193/

I may well have overseen & they're already mentioned on the thread, but if not:

Salaam Bombay!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096028
Monsoon Wedding
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265343/

both directed by Mira Nair

Lone Scherfig.

I've seen two of her movies that I would recommend. The first is An Education starring Carey Mulligan. A young women drops out of school to get a "real life" education.
The other film is Their Finest which describes a film company trying to raise morale by making a film about a rescue (that never early happened during the Dunkirk evacuation. I watched it because I follow the movies that Bill Nighy is in.

I would probably rate both around a three which I consider a solid recommendation.

"3". A Tamil movie directed by Aishwarya R. Dhanush. It is one of the favorite movies for youngster of our times. A song from the film "WHY THIS KOLAVERI DI?" is world famous.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Hey you know what I just realized? The Academy Awards has best actor best actress, but how come when it comes to best director, it's both male and female, as opposed to actors awards?

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, I imagine that's due to just how much male directors outnumber female directors (if I recall correctly, we're talking a roughly 90-10 split here) as opposed to there being a significantly more equitable distribution of male and female actors, to say nothing of whether or not creating a "best female director" award would have unfortunate separate-but-equal good-for-a-girl implications.