Directed By Women Countdown?

Tools    

Starting to hallucinate, i swear she moved!
They don't call it 'motion pictures' for nothing innit

I will eventually watch Jeanne dielman and I think I'll like it
You won't, it's unwatchable.

Anyways, it'll be tough to go to 100, going through the list and not listing the one film directors

Karen Kusama
  1. The Invitation
  2. Jennifers Body
  3. XX
  4. Girl Fight
Sofia Coppola
  1. Beguiled
  2. Virgin Suicides
  3. Lost in Translation
  4. Bling Ring
  5. Somewhere
Jane Champion
  1. Bright Star
  2. An Angle at my Table
  3. The Piano
  4. Sweetie
  5. Portrait of a Lady
Penny Marshall
  1. Big
  2. A League of Their Own
  3. Awakenings
  4. Riding in Car's with Boys
Amy Heckerling
  1. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
  2. Loser
  3. European Vacation
  4. Clueless
  5. Look Who's Talking
Tamara Jenkins
  1. Savages
  2. Slums of Beverly Hills
Lone Scherfig
  1. One Day
  2. An Education
Niki Caro
  1. The Zookeepers Wife
  2. Whale Rider
  3. North Country
  4. Macfarland USA
Julie Taymor
  1. Titus
  2. Across the Universe
  3. Frida
Lisa Cholodenko
  1. High Art
  2. The Kids are All Right
Agnès Varda
  1. Cleo from 5 to 7
  2. Vagabond
  3. The Gleaners and I
  4. Le Bonheur
Andrea Arnold
  1. American Honey
  2. Fishtank
  3. Wuthering Heights
"Leni" Riefenstahl
  1. Triumph of Will
  2. Olympia
Phyllida Lloyd
  1. Mamma Mia
  2. The Iron Lady
Lynne Ramsey
  1. We Need to Talk About Kevin
  2. Ratcatcher
Nancy Meyers
  1. What Women Want
  2. Something's Gotta Give
  3. The Holliday
Kathryn Bigelow

1. Near Dark
  2. Detroit
  3. Zero Dark Thirty
  4. Strange Days
  5. Blue Steel
  6. Point Break
  7. The Weight of Water
Kelly Reichardt
  1. Meeks Cutoff
  2. Night Moves
  3. Wendy and Lucy
  4. Certain Women
Amy Berg
  1. West of Memphis
  2. Deliver Us From Evil
  3. Prophet's Prey
  4. An Open Secret
Kasi Lemmons
  1. Eve's Bayou
  2. Talk to Me
  3. The Caveman's Valentine
Deborah Kaplan
  1. Josie and the Pussycats
  2. Can't Hardly Wait
Ida Lupino
  1. The Hitchhiker
  2. Dangerous Ground
Mary Harron
  1. American Psycho
  2. The Notorious Bette Page
  3. Moth Diaries
  4. I shot Any Warhol
Tamra Davis
  1. Half Baked
  2. CB4
  3. Billy Madison

Charlotte Zwerin
  1. Salesman
  2. GImme Shelter
Patty Jenkins
  1. Wonder Woman
  2. Monster
Claire Denis
  1. White Material
  2. Chocolat
  3. Beau Travail

All of Wanda which is Barbara Loden's only film and is supposed to be excellent is on Youtube if anyone is interested, planning on watching it myself:

Both me and Matt watched Wanda (1970), we both liked it a lot. I gave it a 4/5 my review if anyone's interested. Its Barbara Loden's only film that she directed. She was married to Elia Kazan at the time.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Both me and Matt watched Wanda (1970), we both liked it a lot. I gave it a 4/5 my review if anyone's interested. Its Barbara Loden's only film that she directed. She was married to Elia Kazan at the time.
I barely could finish it, to be honest.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I like this idea a whole lot. I have a provisional top 25 already but always plenty more films to see and if co-directed films are going to be eligible that opens it up a lot more.

Good list of 103 films here.

And for the record I found Jeanne Dielmann oddly fascinating. I watched it while also peeling potatoes.

For those of you thinking of combining this with your October horror challenge, may I suggest Ravenous.

Wachowskis
Co-directed with men

That sums up my position in these two debates. I'm fine with any choice though.

Totally into this, there are many directors and works I want to explore. Now that we are at it, let's throw some animation I find very worthy:

The adventures of Prince Achmed, by Lotte Reiniger (1926). The first full-length animated film that can still be found today. Silhouette animation that retains its charm and is truly unique despite its age.

The cat who walked by herself, by Ideya Garanina (1988). It's full and subbed in YouTube. It's an amazing collage of animation telling a beautiful tale about humanity.

Persepolis, by Marjanne Satrapi and Vincent Paronnaud (2007). If you finally decide to include co-directed movies, don't miss this one. It has a high reputation for a reason. A story of clashing cultures filled with funny and dramatic moments, and the self-reflective vibes of an autobiographic work.

Rocks in my pockets, by Signe Baumane (2014). Deeply personal, weird and creative. A moving and sincere self-reflection on depression and what it has meant for Signe. It's not as regular as I'd like, but there are bits I genuinely cried and felt distressed at, and an overall feeling of therapeutic catharsis that makes this film as a whole work.

A silent voice, by Naoko Yamada (2016). I can never praise this enough, its mere existence is a bliss. My thoughts in the Guap and Zotis thread:
Loving your reactions to A silent voice, you two. It is my favorite overall film of 2016 so far and I have rambled like multiple times about its excellent take in a subject I've hardly seen treated in fiction and never as well as this does. The character portrayals are some of the most grounded I've seen like, ever. Specially for the two leads. There seems to be some minor but consistant criticism on Shouko for being "too" nice and vulnerable, which leads some people to believe she is an idealized/fetishized version of a victim. It's probably surprising to some to know how much of this actually rings true in a victim of bullying.

The artwork is... well, Guap covered it perfectly, but just they way it keeps a narrative functionality throughout. How the gestures, the backgrounds, the color schemes, the shots, the position and spatial distribution of the characters, etc. are not only there to represent the written fiction as a passive tool, but they actually expand the narrative, make us know the characters and the state of their relationship. This is a pinnacle of emotional expression and storytelling through animation.

It is a favorite for admittedly personal reasons related to my own attachment to the story, but I can't emphasize well enough how brilliant this is in about every aspect and how much good it does to animation as a medium just by existing. We don't deserve this movie, damn.

I'll pick naomi kawase and larissa sheptiko but that's it i guess. Very lack of

Wachowskis
Co-directed with men

That sums up my position in these two debates. I'm fine with any choice though.
It's up to the host of course, but seeing how we're talking about it then I would say after each sibling came out publicly as a woman, films that they made from then on would count.

And I'd say films like The Matrix wouldn't.

From Wiki.
Lana completed the transition after Speed Racer's release in 2008,and by at least December 2010, trade magazines and newspapers referred to her as "Lana Wachowski" her preferred name,and to the duo as "Andy and Lana Wachowski."
In March 2016, Lilly Wachowski also came out as a transgender woman

It's up to the host of course, but seeing how we're talking about it then I would say after each sibling came out publicly as a woman, films that they made from then on would count.

And I'd say films like The Matrix wouldn't.

From Wiki.
The problem is, them coming out publicly as women doesn't mean that they weren't before, and I imagine it is a touchy subject to come out to in the Hollywood industry. It wouldn't make sense to me to count Cloud Atlas and not The Matrix when their gender identity was the same back then.

The problem is, them coming out publicly as women doesn't mean that they weren't before, and I imagine it is a touchy subject to come out to in the Hollywood industry. It wouldn't make sense to me to count Cloud Atlas and not The Matrix when their gender identity was the same back then.
I thought the whole idea of a Women Directors Countdown is that women directors (in general) don't always get the same breaks in film making as men. In fact it could be said that movies directed by women have a harder time getting financial backing, making the path for a woman director all that much harder. So if the Wachowskis were making movies as men, they then had advantages at the time, that a woman director might not have had. Seems logical to me.

Anyway it's up to the host.

considering its an acclaimed film its not to odd to be fascinated by it
Plenty of acclaimed movies aren't fascinating. You shouldn't force yourself to like something because it's acclaimed.

You definitely shouldn't force yourself to think something's intresting, I was just pouting out theirs nothing weird about being intrested in that film considering many others are too