Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Fair enough, Argentina. Fair enough, Messi. You make one of the best defenders of this World Cup, Gvardiol, look helpless with that pass.

Maybe it's destiny.
Who do you fancy for the World Cup winner?

Delighted for Messi, heck of a thriller to finish the comp.
Also delighted for Mbappe on at least picking up the Golden Boot.

Messi goes down as the GOAT.
Best World Cup final, & second best football final for me behind UCL 2005.

I hate everything that Qatar stands for, & am nauseated by the deaths of migrants, but strictly speaking of football, this was a one of the best tournaments. Upsets, twists and then that final.

And quite a few stars to look forward to in the future. Mbappe and Haaland (who wasn't here) will be there, but add Bellingham, Enzo, Camavinga, etc.

Nice to see Aguero part of the celebrations.

Back to more important football, where we hope against hope that City don't run away with the league, even if it means Lego Pep winning it for Arsenal.

Messi goes down as the GOAT.
Best World Cup final, & second best football final for me behind UCL 2005.

I hate everything that Qatar stands for, & am nauseated by the deaths of migrants, but strictly speaking of football, this was a one of the best tournaments. Upsets, twists and then that final.

And quite a few stars to look forward to in the future. Mbappe and Haaland (who wasn't here) will be there, but add Bellingham, Enzo, Camavinga, etc.

Nice to see Aguero part of the celebrations.

Back to more important football, where we hope against hope that City don't run away with the league, even if it means Lego Pep winning it for Arsenal.
Agree with everything you've said. As a Liverpool fan 2005 is the greatest match ever for me but this is defo second.

Love Messi and feel like all my life watching football has been leading up to this, incredible.

Very emotional world cup final, IMO Argentina should have won more easily, given they technically crushed France for the first 75 minutes. That shows an issue with south-American teams; they think after having an advantage that they have already won and become vulnerable at the end of the match (happened to Brazil against Croatia and South Korea, and to Argentina against the Netherlands and Australia, in two cases led to penalties as well as this match).

Messi finally got his world cup, the last title he still needed to win. Of course, he is still not the GOAT; that is Pelé. Messi might claim to be the best since Pelé retired in 1977, so the past of the last 50 years, although I might think that Cruyff and Maradona are also strong contenders :

Incredibly exciting... after the 78th (or whatever it was) minute. Before that, just dull. Although I wasn't really paying much attention after the first 30 minutes, so I can't say that categorically, but I've felt disengaged through much of this World Cup and almost certainly missed more games than I saw. But I can say I don't really care who won or that Messi now has a World Cup. All that said, from the 80th minute onwards it was enthralling and seeing Mbappe put France on his shoulders and carry them for the rest of the match was so impressive. The technique for his second goal was magical and such a pure shot. Just brilliant.

I do feel a little for France because of how many players they were missing before the start of the tournament and then losing them during and the illness just before this match (I was genuinely concerned for Varane when I saw him on his knees just before he came off) I can't think of another team who could miss that many first team players and still make the final. Though, obviously, they needed the luck of the draw to do it (England/Morocco could've been more difficult) but they did what was asked of them. Unless something similar happens I can't see anyone but them winning the Euro's atm and this team could/should be in finals for the next 10 years at least.

Lastly, can I just say I wish Infantino and the Emir of Qatar would just **** off and leave football alone. Seeing Messi coerced into wearing a Bisht (as I've learned it is) for the pics was disgraceful. Moreso, considering Infantino's talk of not allowing politics into football as one of the main reasons for the banning of armbands and other things not being allowed into stadiums. I don't know if Messi cared or not, but it just left me feeling sad.

Gakpo came out of the blue. We are in dire need of midfielders, but I won't mind a 23 year old versatile forward at 37 mil, especially when Jota and Diaz are mostly likely out for a long stretch.

I wonder how @honeykid feels about this, especially when ETH clearly wanted him. I personally think Antony has a much higher ceiling than Gakpo. Also, I think you lot need an out and out striker, but will now overpay on someone like Félix.

It does feel a bit out of left field, @WrinkledMind but I think it's an excellent buy, especially for the price if it's as advertised. You need some creativity in midfield and if that's where he plays I think he'll be just what you need. I suppose he might play on the left for Diaz until he returns? But I think it'll be centre mid for the best results.

I don't know much about him, but the fact that ETH wanted him and has seen him up close and set up a team to play against him makes me think it's a shame we'll not get him. Again, especially at that price.

I also agree with your last three points, although I don't think Felix will come unless we're the best that tries. I think PSG or Chelsea are more likely. I'd still have rather we'd saved our money on Antony and gone for Osimhen, but I think it's really going to cost for him now and it's not like Antony's a bad option. Just an overpriced one.

Wonderful player, a sad day indeed
Requiescat in pace Pelé.

OK, it annoyed me when I saw it and it's annoyed me again now, so I'm going to point it out. Pele is holding the wrong versions of the World Cups he won in that photo.

Aaahhhhhhhh, that feels better.

OK, it annoyed me when I saw it and it's annoyed me again now, so I'm going to point it out. Pele is holding the wrong versions of the World Cups he won in that photo.

Aaahhhhhhhh, that feels better.
Was Pelé the GOAT?

Was Pelé the GOAT?
I don't believe in this GOAT stuff. Not for football, anyway.

I honestly think it's impossible to say which player was the best because so much changes through the years (technology, pitches, law changes, tactics, etc.) Best of his generation? I'd expect so, especially as everyone else (the great players) from that era say he was. If the people I'd expect to be in the conversation all agree it was him, I'm happy to say he was. Best of all time? I can't say that, but I don't think you could have a conversation of who's the best without him being one of the options.