What are you listening to while you're MoFoin' it?

Tools    

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
bit of Stevie Wonder as I wonder through the strets of Auckland.
Hey adidasss, welcome back!!!!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Riders On The Storm - The Doors

Mama Told Me Not To Come - Three Dog Night

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
On a U2 kick today, they're coming to Auckland next week, but I'll be back in rainy old Scotland!!!!
My mate is going to see them in Buenos Aries on his honeymoon,it's the third time this year he's seen the Vertigo tour, once in Glasgow with me, once in New York and now in Argentina, U2 overdose????

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
On a U2 kick today, they're coming to Auckland next week, but I'll be back in rainy old Scotland!!!!
My mate is going to see them in Buenos Aries on his honeymoon,it's the third time this year he's seen the Vertigo tour, once in Glasgow with me, once in New York and now in Argentina, U2 overdose????

I was listening to U2 earlier today... and am now listening to Summer Wine ~ the Corrs featuring Bono...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I got for good luck my black tooth.
"Venus In Furs" - The Velvet Underground

I can't believe I'd never heard this before. Very, very good.

Edit: "Lovesong" - The Cure

If you can look past the cheesy 80s keyboards, you've got a really great song here. Even 311's cover version was pretty good. The guitar solo is a great exercise in artful minimalism.

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
yuk...leave it to corporate asses to award such an abysmal band....but then again, that's what the grammys are for...

Heart and Soul - Joy Division

Money- Pink Floyd

Siberian Khatru (Live at SLO 1996) - Yes

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by adidasss
yuk...leave it to corporate asses to award such an abysmal band....but then again, that's what the grammys are for...
What makes them abysmal in your opinion?

"Back in the USA" - Chuck Berry

Originally Posted by Strummer521
What makes them abysmal in your opinion?

"Back in the USA" - Chuck Berry
it's not just my opinion, they continually get awarded as the best rock band simply because they have major corporations pushing their music and they suite the middle class, middle aged conservative white americans. anyone who listens to music knows there were and are far better bands and albums published last year, but mainstream america is having none of that. the album is bellow average, it's bland and it sucks. but all you have to do to get a grammy is be called bono....oprah just loves him.....it's the greatest rock band in the world according to her.....and aparently the grammy people too.....ahahahha...my music forum buddies had quite a laugh when i made a thread about it....they should have called the album " how to dismantle an average band that has been on life support since the 80's but the members just refuse to let go of the gold age"......at least they would have been honest. and get this, even Bono agrees with me:
Bono is still baffled by the success of U2's rock anthem 'Vertigo' - because the track had no right to be a hit.
Speaking before the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, the Irish rocker confessed he felt he had cheated the system at last year's event when the group claimed the Best Rock Performance prize for the song.

And, after winning the major prize, he admits he no longer makes bets on who will win what at the Grammys.

He said, "I don't know how that ('Vertigo') became a hit... To make that a hit, you need the weight of a giant corporation.

"A lot of people heard it through the (iPod) commercial... When you've got a guitar riff like that it's punk rock, they don't want to play it on the radio."

(c) 2004 World Entertainment News Network

The People's Republic of Clogher
anyone who listens to music knows there were and are far better bands and albums published last year, but mainstream america is having none of that.
Aren't music snobs even more insufferable than film snobs? You'll be saying that the Best Picture Oscar isn't actually your favourite film next...

they should have called the album " how to dismantle an average band that has been on life support since the 80's but the members just refuse to let go of the gold age"
How would you account for their most critically successful albums coming in the 90s then?

I'm not a huge U2 fan thesedays but have seen them in concert a few times and bought a lot of their records over the years. Bono may be a bit of a prat but he's sincere, though guileless enough to embarrass the rest of the band with his pronouncements, and quite comfortable with his fame.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Aren't music snobs even more insufferable than film snobs? You'll be saying that the Best Picture Oscar isn't actually your favourite film next...

How would you account for their most critically successful albums coming in the 90s then?

I'm not a huge U2 fan thesedays but have seen them in concert a few times and bought a lot of their records over the years. Bono may be a bit of a prat but he's sincere, though guileless enough to embarrass the rest of the band with his pronouncements, and quite comfortable with his fame.
i've already expressed my opinion on the oscars, but i can't comment on this year since i haven't seen brokeback mountain, although i think it's improved....

and being aware of U2's averageness is not musical snobbery, i know a lot of music snobs and i'm far from that, i have a very mainstream taste in music, but i rarely see anyone under 30 praise U2, or for that matter anyone else who isn't a die hard u2 fan.it's rock for the masses and as Kurt Cobain put it " corporate c*ck rock". the averageness of the music is concealed my massive airplay, press exposure and awards given by people who award by sold copies rather than quality.

i thought that joshua tree was still considered their best album to date, everything after that was pure shyte, and if by critically acclaimed you mean american press and the grammys.....no comment....

Arresting your development
Aren't music snobs even more insufferable than film snobs?
What's your take on post snobs?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
What's your take on post snobs?
As opposed to pre-snobs?

it's rock for the masses and as Kurt Cobain put it " corporate c*ck rock". the averageness of the music is concealed my massive airplay, press exposure and awards given by people who award by sold copies rather than quality.
And Nirvana (I'm only using them as an example as you quoted Cobain) weren't aggressively marketed? Any band whose record company thinks has a chance of shifting a few units will get plugged to death on radio stations.

i thought that joshua tree was still considered their best album to date,
Nope, that was the album that broke them in America. Achtung Baby and Zooropa got the critical acclaim.

critically acclaimed you mean american press and the grammys.....no comment....
Of course not. I'm talking about the NME and Melody Maker who, unlike today, were pretty far from mainstream.

Arresting your development
As opposed to pre-snobs?
Damn cliques!

Black Thursday by Echo Us