King Kong?

→ in
Tools    

Female assassin extraordinaire.
twain - i think you, like others, keep missing my point. i'll get to that later but i wanted to comment on something, since you took the effort to quote me and then argue against something i didn't actually say...

the staring bit - there was plenty going on in the film without the (i bet if we took a timer to it there'd be at least 10 minutes) of straight up staring. yeah, i totally agree, you'd stare at a monster gorilla, so would i. but you so thoughtfully ignored what I said immediately after that - eventually people STOP staring. eventually. yes, that's what i said.

this means, i don't mind they stared. this means, i think it makes sense they stared. so what i meant was sometimes maybe the 5 minute stare should have been, oh, say 1 minute. and maybe the 35 shots of staring could have been, hmm, mebbe 10? we'd still get the point. (note: these are example numbers. i did not actually time them. so leave me alone about it.)

your statements can imply i don't know what i'm talking about and need to pull up and get outta dodge with my conflicting opinion, but in the end it's just your opinion. i'm not about to say, why'd you bother go seeing X film and go watch a documentary instead cuz clearly you can't appreciate what i appreciate. sheezus. no need to go there, hot stuff.

you think kong did way better than the other films. good for you. my point wasn't to compare it to the other films. i could care less about them for my review. i didn't pay $8 to go see them. my point was to take it as it was, and say, it had the potential to be way more than it was (and don't many things in this world?) and it still overdid it for me. but it did a pretty good job, just fell short, and i gave my reasons. no worries if you don't agree.

so, glad you liked it. and by the way, i didn't even say i didn't. or did my 8 out of 10 not make that clear for you?

Yes you should see it,,,but actually i didn't like it,,,,maybe you will!

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by WALKER OF THE HOPE
Yes you should see it,,,but actually i didn't like it,,,,maybe you will!
For some reason I like this post.

Originally Posted by thmilin
your statements can imply i don't know what i'm talking about and need to pull up and get outta dodge with my conflicting opinion, but in the end it's just your opinion.
Damn this is almost word for word what I said to my Ex when I bailed...scary.

oh come on man i said my opinion,,,,i didn't like it but maybe he will

I thought King Kong was terrible, over long, over boring, the special effects were good, but, who cares? The film itself was so boring, it was virtually unbearable in places.

Originally Posted by Philmster
I thought King Kong was terrible, over long, over boring, the special effects were good, but, who cares? The film itself was so boring, it was virtually unbearable in places.
Agreed it was too long, I thought it was very good though, acting wasn't too bad, and obviously brilliant special effects.
I still think it's a little overrated though.

The acting wasn't bad, I just felt seriously hung over after coming out of the cinema, its rare that I wish I had never seen a film at the cinema, but this was definately one case, I did want my hours back!

Originally Posted by Philmster
Really huh. This film went by rather quickly for me. It seemed like a 2 hour film instead of the 3 that it was.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Escape
Really huh. This film went by rather quickly for me. It seemed like a 2 hour film instead of the 3 that it was.
You must bring booty cushions with no butter to the theater... no?

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
You must bring booty cushions with no butter to the theater... no?
Yes and with butter.

Hi, i'm new here.

King Kong had great scenery, the cinematography was quite excellent. The part I liked best was the end part. Thought the movie wasn't that exciting (for me) because a lot know what happens in King Kong. Still the movie had excellent cinematography

Success is the only Earthly judge..
just goes to show you, if you are a 4 story gorilla, you should saty away from those white women or you'll have to fight dinosaurs then you'll end up dead on the streets of new york...

King Kong is the worst movie I have ever seen.

Hollywood has been spiralling downwards for years offering the paying public several action-packed, over the top, love story movies. King Kong is simply the climax of this trend, epidimizing everything that is wrong with hollywood.

We are forced to sit through 3+ hours of dinosaurs rolling down hills like boulders and a giant ape and his hot girlfriend playing together on a frozen pond. I don't care how bad any other movie on this earth is, nothing will ever be as bad as King Kong.

Another thing that should be mentioned is the "brilliant" performance by Naomi Watts. Basically, no matter what is going on during the movie, she just looks at the camera with that same stupid blank expression on her face. The viewer is forced to watch probably a solid hour of Naomi Watts making that same stupid face over and over again.

Originally Posted by jeffreybgoode
You've only seen King Kong and Citizen Kane?

you should see more movies
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by jeffreybgoode

We are forced to sit through 3+ hours of dinosaurs rolling down hills like boulders and a giant ape and his hot girlfriend playing together on a frozen pond. I don't care how bad any other movie on this earth is, nothing will ever be as bad as King Kong.
Either you're a troll, or you completely missed the entire point of the film.

Or both.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
In the 1930's a film crew decides to go to the infamous "Skull Island". Once there they encounter some locals who terrorize them. After the young and beautiful Anne is taken away, the film crew and ship crew go back to the island to retrieve her. Only they do not know that Anne is being a sacrifice for a giant ape, known as KONG.

Peter Jackson, a couple years before Lord of the Rings, you probably never heard of that name. With such brilliant indie films such as Dead Alive and Meet the Feebles under his belt, one can see why no one would really know him. Once Lord of the Rings hit the screen, Jackson became a name that is constantly thrown into the same sentence with Spielberg. He even has an Oscar to his name, with such success following him, he was able to take his favourite love story and give it a new and improved touch. Kong is a landmark film, no doubt about it. It is beautiful, heart-warming, thrilling, and powerful. Jackson has a remake on his hands that does not soil the original in anyway, instead Jackson's Kong is a different film on it's own. In a year that was full of lackluster and disappointing films...Sith anyone? Kong is able to make it fun to sit and watch a movie again.

While Kong is not as good as Jackson's Lord of the Rings, well, it is better then The Two Towers, it is one of 2004's best movies. Jackson has wanted to make this film for years, so you know that he will deliver a great film. Everything, from it's story, down to the special effects is top notch. There are only a few missteps that stop this film from being a ten. The faults are the same that many others have, length,characters and suspension of disbelief. Kong is a long film, running in at 3 hours. The first hour is the lengthy boat trip to "Skull Island". Here would be the perfect opportunity to develop some kind of emotional connection between the two characters played by Naomi Watts and Adrien Brody. Instead we get a few awkward moments between the two and nothing more. It's kind of hard to see Jack go after this woman when there was no real connection between the two. The middle part of the movie is when we see Kong and the beautiful cinematography of "Skull Island". Here is where most of the action takes place and it is a feat to see. The final scene is the most memorable, being in New York on the Empire State building is exciting, and horrific at the same time. You know the outcome of the film, everyone does, but you can't help but root for Kong to kick ass and live at the end. Jackson does change a few key things from the original, but doesn't change the story drastically. Just enough to be able to call it his own, and this KONG is indeed Jackson's baby. Lord of the Rings, is definitely the fans.

Jack Black is surprisingly not as bad as one would think he would be in this role. There are hundreds of other actors out there that would have been better, but Black manages to deliver his lines without some kind of yell or laugh. Watts screams left right and centre and his cgi for a good chunk of the film as well. How she manages to live after being in the grip of Kong during any one of the fights is beyond me. She would be as flat as a pancake. Brody isn't too memorable here, he delivers his lines and walks the line, nothing too special that adds to the film. KONG is without a doubt the star of the film. He is gorgeous, heroic, funny, kick ass, and smelly all at the same time. It's amazing to see the detail of this creature, well deserved of it's Oscar. On "Skull Island" Jackson and his wizards behind the computer are able to create the craziest creatures out of the darkest places in their minds. Creatures the range from dinosaurs to giant man eating slugs.

Two scenes that made me roll my eyes, I would imagine made everyone else roll their eyes as well. Kong on the ice, not dramatic, but not laughable either. It simply doesn't work to well. Not for the emotion, but for the reality factor, the ice most definitely would break. The second, would be when the kid, who as noted by the one shipmate, has never held a gun before, no training. Yet he is able to shoot the bugs off Jack and not harm him at all? With his eyes closed no less.

I did not cry at the end of the film, but it was moving. Seeing the live of KONG leave his eyes did have move me. It was an adventure and now it has come to an end. The relationship between Anne and KONG can be looked at in two different ways, depending on the viewer. If you honestly believe that a woman can love a giant ape, then you see it in this film...or it can be the kind of relationship that a kid has with his dog. He's protected you from enemies, you've slept together, entertained each other and laughed with each other...but then you have to put the boy down. Seeing the planes fly across the scene was like seeing death knocking on your door. Jackson strikes gold with KONG, being able to move people with the relationship of a woman and a giant ape. Too bad for KONG, he didn't know that women will be the death of ya.

8.5/10

Suspect's Reviews

Naomi watts is my future wife.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by The Immortal
Naomi watts is my future wife.
What are you talking about? She's my fiance. The wedding is June 17th in Kent (we're hope the weather's nice). We thought about having it in the States, but she wanted to be close to home.

So...does this mean you're planning on knocking me off or something? If so, I think you should be banned.

The lovers were definetly the black guy and the boy, Jeremy or whatever. Anyway...enough with the sarcasm.....the film was awesome. Peter Jackson, you are my heroe. (Spielberg, get a life)