Reading Tab

Tools    

B&W
Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Few books are as imaginative as the latter. What an AMAZING movie it would make if done well.
Yeah, if done well. I remember seeing a movie on The Silver Chair, and it was soooooo boring!

I finally, finally, finally finished The American Revolution last week, and I'm just about halfway done with Miracles. I'm not sure what's next. Maybe That Hideous Strength or The Four Loves. We shall see.

Now With Moveable Parts
I just picked out the next book I want, How to be Good.(My sister will get it for my birthday)
It's by the guy that wrote High Fidelity and About a Boy. I wonder how long I have before this book becomes a movie...

Nick Hornsby--I like him a lot. Never read the one you're getting, Sades... let me know how it is!

I just finished Austen's Mansfield Park--it was slow going, let me tell you. I had to do it, though, 'cause it was the only one of hers I hadn't read. I now know why I never wanted to read it before. It has some redeeming characteristics (occasional bursts of wit, interesting characters in the Crawford siblings), but all in all, a most dull book. Fanny Price is a mousy, puritanical heroine and Edmund is just as bad (except he's a guy). And we're supposed to spend the entire book sympathizing with them...

That's Nick Hornby - no 's' in his last name.
Bruce Hornsby & The Range, Nick Hornby novelist.

About A Boy was just released a couple weeks ago in trade paperback in the U.S. The hardcover was published in July of 2001.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bruce Hornsby & The Range, Nick Hornby novelist.
I guess that's just the way it is...

Some things will never change...

Standing in line marking time
waiting for the Welfare dime
'Cause they can't buy a job
The man in the silk suit hurries by
as he catches the poor ladies' eyes
Just for fun he says, 'Get a job'...

And the colored girls go:

Do, de do, de do, do de do do...

Jackie is just speeding away
Thought she was James Dean for a day
Then I guess she had to crash
Valuium would have helped that dash
She said, hey babe,
take a walk on the wild side...

But, seriously, folks... how about those books?

Now I'm gonna be humming Lou Reed tunes for the rest of the night...

"Now I'm goin' out
to the dirty boulevard..."

We started our [sexually perverted] production of A Midsummer Night's Dream with that song...

That's an easy play to sexually pervert (so to speak)...

"Lovers, to bed. 'Tis almost fairy time."

Back with a bang!
I'm currently reading David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. It is way overdue for me, since I played him (David) in a school play a few years ago (2.5 hours - I never got to leave the stage once)

I'm also in the habit of always reading some Discworld before I go to sleep every night, keeps the nightmares away. Currently I'm goint through the series chronologically, and have come as far as Reaper Man (for the fifth time).

Originally posted by Vetinari
I'm also in the habit of always reading some Discworld before I go to sleep every night, keeps the nightmares away. Currently I'm goint through the series chronologically, and have come as far as Reaper Man (for the fifth time). [/b]
Right on, pally!

I just borrowed The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents--haven't started it yet.

A heaping helping of Pratchett is good anytime.

Back with a bang!
The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents is great. I was a bit sceptical at first since it was supposed to be for younger readers, but I hardly noticed any difference from the other books.

These are the books I've read in the last couple of months:

The Meaning of Relativity, by Albert Einstein (first time)
Frankenstein, by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (first)
God's Fires, by Patricia Anthony (second)
American Son, by Brian Ascalon Roley (first)
Star Wars: The Approaching Storm, by Alan Dean Foster (first)
Napalm & Silly Putty, by George Carlin (first)
House of Cards, by Stanley Ellin (first)
American Gods by Neil Gaiman (first)
The Fellowship of the Ring, by J. R. R. Tolkien (second)
The Two Towers, by J. R. R. Tolkien (first)

Reading a few books, on and off. Pravda I must admit, is chewing up most of my time.

Negotiating with the Dead : A Writer on Writing
Margaret Atwood

Catch 22
Joseph Heller

And I've finished a few as well.
Don't know if I ever mentioned them.

The World According to Garp
John Irving
The book that changed my life. Love it, love it, love it.

And I've also just bought a book online, which I'm planning to read shortly.

The Primary Colors : Three Essays
Alexander Theroux

The World According to Garp
God, that's a great book. Irving is just a brilliant writer, period. One of my old creative writing profs was friends with Irving--they went to school together. Of course, this did not mean that I ever got to meet or even communicate with John Irving... dammit.

I finished The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents a few days ago, and loved it. Very funny, very well-done, combining all kinds of folk- and fairytales into one book (most noticably the Pied Piper and Puss-in-Boots). A nice addition to the Discworld series.

We watched Harry Potter the other night, so I've been re-reading all the books. I'm on Goblet of Fire right now--my favorite of the series.

I finally got ahold of Stephen King's On Writing--I've been looking forward to reading this book for over a year now. I've heard it's excellent.

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious
I finally got ahold of Stephen King's On Writing--I've been looking forward to reading this book for over a year now. I've heard it's excellent.
Stephen King is my hero and On Writing is like a bible. I've been meaning to read through the book again this week - funny that you mentioned it cause I've been hearing the voices telling me to read it. I'm bringing it along with me on my trip to West Virginia this weekend. I'm going to the wedding of two doctors - it's going to be big. I hardly know them, but it's gonna be the closest thing to the Liza Minelli wedding, which I wasn't invited to!

TODAY, one of my best friends gave me a book I've wanted for a long time - Chuck Palahnuik's Fight Club. Oh, it's beautiful. I almost fainted when he started to give it to me. I've wanted it for a year, but I wouldn't fork out $13 for it. I'm sinfully cheap.

Other books I've been reading:

* Giovanni's Room ~ James Baldwin
* The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon ~ Stephen King
* Ambrosial Flesh ~ Ann Mitchell
* Being & Doing: A Workbook for Actors ~ Eric Morris
* How To Hypnotize Yourself & Others ~ Rachel Copelan, PH.D.
* Depression: The Way Out Of Your Prison ~ Dorothy Rowe
* Creative Dreaming ~ Patricia Garfield, PH.D.
* Life on the Other Side ~ Sylvia Browne
* Introductory Lectures on Psycho-Analysis ~ Sigmund Freud
* Russell Crowe: The Biography ~ Tim Ewbank & Stafford Hildred
* Night Chills ~ Dean Koontz
* Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas ~ Hunter S. Thompson
* How to Talk Dirty and Influence People ~ Lenny Bruce
* The Shameful Life of Salvador Dali ~ Ian Gibson
* The Dada Painters & Poets: An Anthology
* The Man Who Ate The 747 ~ Ben Sherwood
* Red Dragon ~ Thomas Harris
* Fountain Society ~ Wes Craven
* Drawing Blood ~ Poppy Z. Brite