My Netflix DVD queue is empty! I need some good movie recomendations!

Tools    

This is an old recommendation, but when I think of Noir, I think of you, Citizen!
And when I think of Noir comedy, I think of the only one anyone thinks of: Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982).

It's kind of a requisite for anyone versed in Noir, and I've still yet to find another movie that utilizes the same gimmick through an entire film!
Plus, it's pretty funny too.

How many times do you reckon you've watched Sideways and Bottle Shock together? I've only seen Sideways once, but yes great film!

At least 4. I would rather watch the same good movie several times, rather than just watch something for the hell of it. I must have 50-100 movies I've watched 3+ times. Why buy the DVD to watch it once. Maybe that would be a good thread poll.

This is an old recommendation, but when I think of Noir, I think of you, Citizen!
And when I think of Noir comedy, I think of the only one anyone thinks of: Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982).

It's kind of a requisite for anyone versed in Noir, and I've still yet to find another movie that utilizes the same gimmick through an entire film!
Plus, it's pretty funny too.
I know! I know! You've told me about that one before, and I always say I will watch it, but I never do!

One of these days....

At least 4. I would rather watch the same good movie several times, rather than just watch something for the hell of it. I must have 50-100 movies I've watched 3+ times. Why buy the DVD to watch it once. Maybe that would be a good thread poll.
I like to space out my movie viewings, though one time I liked a film so much I watched it two nights in a row.

Leave No Trace reminds me in tone of a Kelly Reichardt film. I will be surprised if you don't like it. I will try and think of some more...
I just seen Leave No Trace and loved it! My wife really liked the movie too. It's been a long time since I seen a new release film that really engaged me. It was honest story telling, done without cliches and usage of the latest cinema trends. I though it was refreshing. Good recommendation

I see you haven't reviewed Children of Men, Se7en, No Country for Old Men, the Kill Bill movies or The Godfather Part III. And you should give those Godfather movies another shot first. Most of these movies aren't all that graphic. The first Kill Bill is but the violence is very toned down in the second.

Try the Truman Show, Million Dollar Baby, and Gran Torino. I'll think of more for you.

I see you haven't reviewed Children of Men, Se7en, No Country for Old Men, the Kill Bill movies or The Godfather Part III. And you should give those Godfather movies another shot first. Most of these movies aren't all that graphic. The first Kill Bill is but the violence is very toned down in the second.

Try the Truman Show, Million Dollar Baby, and Gran Torino. I'll think of more for you.
Thanks KeyserCorleone I've seen those 3 that I bolded and really liked them all. Someday I'll have to see Godfather III, I know people tend not to like it as much, but who knows I might like it better than Godfather I & II.

? Holy crap! You really liked my one!
I just loved it! So much so that I watched it again the next night with the commentary track by Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis...that was fun as they were so funny and told lots of great stories about making the film.

Thanks KeyserCorleone I've seen those 3 that I bolded and really liked them all. Someday I'll have to see Godfather III, I know people tend not to like it as much, but who knows I might like it better than Godfather I & II.

Yeah, most people say it's the worst of the three, but I'm a bit of a Coppola nut. I found greatness in all of his movies I've seen. The third one gets more personal with the Corleone family, as opposed to the "business" that the first two centered around. And without giving away spoilers, I found the ending very effective. It makes the cast perfect again.

Yeah, most people say it's the worst of the three, but I'm a bit of a Coppola nut. I found greatness in all of his movies I've seen.

The third one gets more personal with the Corleone family, as opposed to the "business" that the first two centered around. And without giving away spoilers, I found the ending very effective. It makes the cast perfect again.
Ahh, that's helpful because I liked the first part of The Godfather when it was about the family as it was more personal, so I'll add The Godfather III to my watch list.

...I recommended The Last Voyage (1960) to you - based on the sinking of the Andrea Doria - since we both like ship movies!...
I just watched The Last Voyage last night, wow! A very impressive and ultra realistic movie that was both exciting and gripping! I mean it starts off on an old cruise ship with George Sanders as a stubborn captain. I loved the way one small disaster, leads to the next bigger disaster and through it all the captain thinks he can keep a lid on it and so doesn't evacuate the passengers.

What blew me away was how real the sets looked, especially the exterior shots of the ship sinking. I freeze framed the DVD and realized that was a real full size luxury liner that they were sinking! Damn who needs CG when you got the real ship to blow up and sink. I of course loved seeing the inside of the ship it was almost like taking a sea cruise.

Thanks for the recommendation

I just watched The Last Voyage last night, wow! A very impressive and ultra realistic movie that was both exciting and gripping! I mean it starts off on an old cruise ship with George Sanders as a stubborn captain. I loved the way one small disaster, leads to the next bigger disaster and through it all the captain thinks he can keep a lid on it and so doesn't evacuate the passengers.

What blew me away was how real the sets looked, especially the exterior shots of the ship sinking. I freeze framed the DVD and realized that was a real full size luxury liner that they were sinking! Damn who needs CG when you got the real ship to blow up and sink. I of course loved seeing the inside of the ship it was almost like taking a sea cruise.

Thanks for the recommendation
Some pieces of trivia (that are really astounding) from IMDB:

The ship used by the filmmakers was the SS Ile de France, the famous French liner that cruised the Atlantic from 1926-59. She was leased for $4,000 a day. After shooting completed, she was re-floated (having been partially sunk for the film) and towed to the scrap yard. She has a more heroic place in history, however. It was she that played a major role in the rescue of the passengers from the Italian liner Andrea Doria in 1956, after the latter ship collided with the Swedish ship Stockholm and sank off the coast of Nantucket, Massachusetts. She was the first ship to arrive at the scene of the collision and immediately began taking aboard the Andrea Doria's passengers.
22 of 22 found this interesting

According to maritime historian William J. Miller, the famed French Line was so horrified that its former flagship would be used in such a way that it demanded that the Ile de France's name be removed from her bow and that in no way would any references be made to them.

Maybe I'm thinking of this because of Veterans' Day (or maybe because I was a fan of Powers Boothe)... but for some reason I remembered Southern Comfort (1981).

Don't know if it would be up Rules' alley, but think Platoon meets Deliverance! (well... not really, it's not as good as either of those movies)

The plot is a platoon of National Guard on an exercise in the Bayou. They only have blanks in their weapons so they are essentially unarmed. One of the Guardsmen thinks it a funny prank to fire blanks at some Cajuns on shore - the Cajuns don't take kindly to that kind of humor and... well, you can figure out where it goes from there as the soldiers become the prey. It's in the thriller / survival genre.

I may only have liked this movie due to the age I was when I first saw it... don't know if it's held up over time.

Maybe I'm thinking of this because of Veterans' Day (or maybe because I was a fan of Powers Boothe)... but for some reason I remembered Southern Comfort (1981).

Don't know if it would be up Rules' alley, but think Platoon meets Deliverance! (well... not really, it's not as good as either of those movies)

The plot is a platoon of National Guard on an exercise in the Bayou. They only have blanks in their weapons so they are essentially unarmed. One of the Guardsmen thinks it a funny prank to fire blanks at some Cajuns on shore - the Cajuns don't take kindly to that kind of humor and... well, you can figure out where it goes from there as the soldiers become the prey. It's in the thriller / survival genre.

I may only have liked this movie due to the age I was when I first saw it... don't know if it's held up over time.
I remember Southern Comfort with Keith Carradine. I seen it first run at the movie theater. I think it was on a date. I don't remember it all except that the guys were in a swamp and fighting off bad guys. I didn't even remember that it was Cajuns or that they were National Guardsman. It sounds kind of fun, I should see it again. After all it's only been 37 years, OMG! That's a long time.

Another good war-themed movie, in case you haven't seen it, is Rescue Dawn (2006) - a true POW story from the Vietnam War starring Christian Bale.
I'm not a big Bale fan, but the movie is good - a bit gut wrenching at times.
Notable is a dramatic performance by usually-comedic actor Steve Zahn.

Just watched Chappaquiddick. I think you might enjoy it.
Good recommendation I watched that a few days ago and thought it was pretty good. Mainly because I'm interested in history and recent events, so even though it was a movie it still gave me insight into the whole events of Chappaquiddick.